• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

The Axis is touchier than the Vector for sure. Differences in individual throwing style (amount of spin, OAT, etc) seem to interpret themselves in a little more pronounced way when it comes to MVP's discs. Though the Vector and Axis compliment each other well, they also cater to different throwing styles as the Vector is more of a power disc and the Axis is more of a finesse disc.

Hmm, sometimes I feel like me and other people are throwing different discs. This is my "most flippy" Axis being driven about 375' and it was a sloppy throw in a mild left to right crosswind.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxrT6mupGsM&t=1m54s

The only time I get turn out of my Axis is in a strong headwind or an OATed throw. With a clean release I can throw them as hard as I want FH or BH and get no turn. This is why I find the Axis so useful, because I can throw it anywhere from 100' to 380' and get a straight flight. I replaced my Comets with them because I felt the Axis wasn't a finesse mid but could go just as straight.

One more www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMoyneg7u9s&t=1m40s - Best tunnel shot disc I own.

Last edited:
It looks like you are still throwing that Axis with a touch of hyzer Mike. I think my oldest Axis is a little less stable than yours, but on a totally flat/chest high throw it gets some high speed turn past 250'.

I'm not really disagreeing with you though, I don't think the Axis is nearly as touchy as a Comet. It is just more of a finesse disc than the Vector, something you can really see if you give both discs to a lower power player with clean form.

Last edited:
Yeah the Vector can handle a sloppier release and stronger wind, that's for sure. You're right about the hyzer too, I tend to release every shot over 75% power with a bit of hyzer like that because I find I'm more prone to grip lock and nose up with a flat release and that kind of power.

To me the Axis is kind of like a Comet / Buzz hybrid. It feels real neutral and true straight like a fresh Comet, but flies lower lines and can handle more of a power style throw like the Buzz. Perfect fit for my throw.

It is just more of a finesse disc than the Vector, something you can really see if you give both discs to a lower power player with clean form.

So as a "lower power player," I'm looking for something that I can power up to (like I said, 300' of power accurately) for drives that will hold a line and fade at the end.

I'm hesitant to go the Vector route for fear of getting something I can't get onto line consistently, especially considering max out at 325'...

If I got a heaver Axis, would that accomplish what I'm going for?

I guess I should also note that I want to get one of these two...so it's just a matter of deciding between them.

Last edited:
The axis would be a better learning tool, and be a lot better for you with 300-325' power. The vector would probably be really beefy. Consistent, but beefy.

I throw around 300' as well. I have a super flat first run green Axis that goes dead straight for the entire flight with almost no fade at all. I have a first run pink that has more dome and it goes straight for the flight with a small fade left at the end. The Vector I have is straight with a bigger fade at the end (more than a Buzzz but less than a Hornet). Neither of my Axis discs will flip when thrown as hard as I can, but my flat green one will have a very small turn for the whole flight if I don't release it cleanly. I sometimes pull my arm through too high which gives it a slight anhyzer angle. By the way, the green Axis is my favorite anhyzer disc.

Yeah, it's technically the same plastic just with different colorants. I think the new transparent proton plastic has more grip than the proton plastic on the opaque Ions; I don't think I'm alone on that either.

It would be better just for visibility's sake for me. I do like the white, glow rims... I think they would be great on the standard mvp plastic colors. But an opaque, white disc would be easy to spot in the woods and great for dyes.

I actually have more trouble finding my opaque white Ion than I do my clearish colored Ions. I don't know why but it's true.

I just threw my first Axis today against my Buzzz and very impressed. It was more neutral out of the get go than I expected it to be in flight. The Buzzz for me is very straight with very gentle fade, the Axis was simply neutral, almost Mako-like in flight, but with better glide. I don't know if will replace the Buzzz since I pair it with a Fuse, but it seems like it could replace both discs with only leave a small gap in my bag. Maybe I'll just have to throw all three of them. Anyone know if the glow are more stable than the regular Protons, the way a glow buzzz is more stable than a z buzzz?

MVP is very consistent with their discs, so there is very little difference between the two, if any. I use a vector/axis/fuse combo for my mids and I can make any shot needed with the three.

MVP is very consistent with their discs, so there is very little difference between the two, if any. I use a vector/axis/fuse combo for my mids and I can make any shot needed with the three.

Good to know, I use a wasp for my OS mid, the vector and I didn't agree. I've always carried a Buzzz, but its only been b/c I haven't found anything better.

All the protons that GGGT has are all not super flat. Only the UV blue Eclipses are. I really don't want to order one online because there is no way for shops to tell what I consider flat when I put it in the comments.

Well if you can find me a brand new Orange FR Axis I'll trade you my flat Green one.

I have a used one. I'll probably be going to GGGT on monday when they are open again so if I don't find a flat one then maybe I'll take you up on that offer. Does it have some turn to it?

Latest posts