• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
6. I believe the Overmold works and I understand the theory, but have guys tested it against the same disc sans the OM in the early stages of R and D?

In our early days, we took an ultralight Wizard (~110g) and taped washers as weights to bring the overall disc weight to 175g. We did trials with mass taped in the very center, some with mass taped towards the outside, and weight distributions in between. The affect on flight from the weight distribution is very evident. The further you distribute mass away from the axis of rotation, the tighter the lateral movement of the disc. Although it was a primitive test, the principal still holds. We encourage everyone to try this experiment themselves.

Our design program allows us to calculate the moment of inertia of a design. We have experimented with numbers of practical weight distribution with our designs, and the results are larger than you would think because the moment of inertia increases at a parabolic rate with mass distribution. At this time, we keep statistical data proprietary due to competition.

I also enjoyed hearing from THEM how the OM material is of denser matter as well, even further disproving the gyro-haters.

Nobody said that they were lying- they argued that the effect is negligible. Nothing was said to prove otherwise.

Nobody said that they were lying- they argued that the effect is negligible. Nothing was said to prove otherwise.

Why does MVP have to prove an established scientific concept that they are incorporating into their discs? Does Chevrolet need to prove how wheels roll before you buy a car? Or do you ask the electric company to prove electrical concepts to you before you turn on a light?

Not trying to pick a fight (honestly!), just saying there's plenty of evidence of gyroscopic effects with weight on the outside of a ring elsewhere in life already with a little searching. A bike wheel comes to mind..see video below.

And, MVP shows the impact of the GYRO fade relative to power level of the player/throw in their flight charts. . The less power, the less the gyro fade. I think that's clearly represented. I don't think they're hiding anything from consumers on this subject. I think players may need to take an honest assessment of what they expect to achieve when throwing a disc relative to their power level so they have realistic expectations.

Anyone questioning the veracity of a claim made by a corporation = hater

Ehhh... that's probably a little extreme. I think the folks who are diehards have felt the difference when throwing MVP/Axiom discs vs comparable molds from other manufacturers, whereas others have not or have unrealistic expectations not in-line with their flight charts. Goes without saying that every mold won't suit every player - that's no secret.

In the end, I think it's unfair to judge a disc before you've held and thrown it. I've been pretty lucky to be able to throw the new Axiom Discs, and feel confident in saying that these they are unique compared to their similar MVP counterparts both in feel and flight.

Give 'em a chance and you might be surprised.

Clearly that was THE best video to post.

Also most discs have more weight on the outer edge that on the inside.

So...

GYRO ascii where < & > are noses, u = rim wall/bulk, and dash dash dash dash is the flight plate - and bold indicates focus of mass:

<u------u>

vs

<u------u>

Clearly that was THE best video to post.

Also most discs have more weight on the outer edge that on the inside.

So...

Yes, most discs have more weight on the outer edge. MVP puts more t enhance the gyroscopic effect.

Nobody in the MVP camp seems to know what the word 'negligible' means.

Have you thrown any MVP? If you spend time with their discs, you can tell that they do hold lines for longer. The Tensor is a perfect example. It is overstable, but the fade kicks in much later than comparable discs of similar stability. It's something you have to try to experience.

GYRO ascii where < & > are noses, u = rim wall/bulk, and dash dash dash dash is the flight plate - and bold indicates focus of mass:

<u------u>

vs

<u------u>

Yup.

<u------u>

vs

<u------u>

I'm trying to see the picture of a female body part but just can't.

Have you thrown any MVP? If you spend time with their discs, you can tell that they do hold lines for longer. The Tensor is a perfect example. It is overstable, but the fade kicks in much later than comparable discs of similar stability. It's something you have to try to experience.

Quite extensively. I still have my original 3 opaque second run (?) ions. I've thrown MVP since they showed up and had been throwing their fairways and mids for the better part of the last year. I've got a stack of nearly 10 of the newer (more stable, which is the THIRD time that they've screwed with them) volts on my bookshelf at the moment.

All I'm saying is that the difference in flight is, at best, negligible, and that the majority of the testimony I read here is the result of confirmation bias.

Throw whatever makes you feel special.

Quite extensively. I still have my original 3 opaque second run (?) ions. I've thrown MVP since they showed up and had been throwing their fairways and mids for the better part of the last year. I've got a stack of nearly 10 of the newer (more stable, which is the THIRD time that they've screwed with them) volts on my bookshelf at the moment.

All I'm saying is that the difference in flight is, at best, negligible, and that the majority of the testimony I read here is the result of confirmation bias.

Throw whatever makes you feel special.

For me, at least, I can tell enough of a difference that it is more than negligible. I will also be the first to admit that it is not always helpful. There have been plenty of times where I wish my Axis would fade a little earlier, or that my Servo would dump a little sooner. It's something to adjust for, but I wouldn't call it bias. The discs work the lines I want them to. I can get other discs to do similar things, but I click with these ones and get some of those "wow" shots a little more often.

I won't begrudge anyone who doesn't like them, though. To each their own.

Just to be clear; I like them just fine.

That's cool. It gets a little muddy in here trying to sort out the antis and the fanboys. I definitely try not to fanboy it up too much - my sig speaks for itself - but I also think there is some performance that shows the gyro aspects hold up, and most often the people who say that it doesn't have an effect haven't thrown MVP. But if you've thrown them, and you don't see the effects versus other discs, I won't hold that against you for a second. Everyone has different experiences, which is the best part of this game.

As far as all this gyro talk goes, All I know is that I have some oat issues lately and MVP seems to handle my current form pretty well. I love my Trilogy discs (underworld, judge, suspect, and trident especially) but my volt, ion, and axis feel like lost friends right now.

There is something good about these discs, gyro or no, and that's all I care about.

Just read the Q&A or at least most of it... But overlooked when the Axiom discs will be available in the Proton plastic?

Just read the Q&A or at least most of it... But overlooked when the Axiom discs will be available in the Proton plastic?

I don't believe they said. They said neutron has been the most popular plastic in every mold so they always release that first.

Yeah on the site it says "Coming Soon" for the Proton… I guess I just answered my own question?

Also is that video trying to say Gyro/MVP discs are better for thubmers and tomahawks :p

Status
Not open for further replies.