• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought the newest run of fission photon (same feel as the fission waves). I kept turning mine over in the beginning because I was expecting it to be more overstable like the older fission photon I had tried. For me these are the perfect compliment to the fission waves.

Flat photons are the best! Deal with the flashing gently... throw the hell out of it... throw me a rocket!

Don't bring me down.....owwwn.... ....... Moose!!!!

Fee like it can bomb, I'll try and film some shots next week.

I've got an iron man tournament this weekend or I would do it tomorrow!

Some scattered notes from yesterday and today's sessions:

Ascend is long, glidey, and surprisingly straight when thrown straight in the 250-275 ft range, and even has a tiny bit of fade. It did show some turn in a light headwind, but less than I expected, and it holds anhyzers well. -3 turn? If you say so... I haven't hammered it yet (if 330-350 ft of power can be considered "hammering"...), but so far, it isn't nearly as flippy as I thought it'd be.
I have to finally embrace that cosmic neutron is a separate universe. I lost my CN Lift workhorse fairway (which was neutrally stable), bought a proton Lift (miffed angel stamp) to replace it, and the proton is flippy as heck...
I had my first taste of Inertia (Plasma, flat like a Tesla), and holy baconwrap, was it tasty. I think it had the cleanest releases I've ever had on a forehand, and it cut through the air like a knife, effortlessly sailing past my other forehands while I watched in gaping amazement. Is it stable enough to take over the role my CN Lift had? More testing required.
Other notes to self: Svea is like Piwakawakas' overweight, meaner brother, who doesn't like being told what to do (just like the man said).
The Alfa Cosmic is pop-top domey, overstable, and unnecessary, because of the CN Volt.
I've tried an Undertaker now. And Titanium plastic. So, who wants a Titanium Undertaker?
The RPM Kea is NOT an approach disc, and the shock-absorbing qualities of Magma Soft are simply inferior to Crystal Flex.

Last edited:
Picked up a Glow Wave and am really digging it. My first experience with Waves were used Neutron ones and very flippy. This glow Flips up a tiny bit and rides straight, finishes left. Holds an anny line really well.

Local shop has a 175 Fission I almost grabbed. Is it going to be flippy? Never thrown heavy fission before.

Found a shop in Texas with an amazing MVP selection. Grabbed this Entropy and will likely head back tomorrow and grab a few more.

IMG-20220805-152725-HDR.jpg

My Cosmic Entropy is a fun disc. I'm teaching it to do Pig things, and it seems happy to be learning.

I'm still patiently waiting for electron Entropy's. I have one and its a horrible shade of pine green. (It was the only one I could find at the time.)

Wow! Glad I searched for the thread! My MVP journey started 4 months ago when I picked up an Orbital Special Edition Neutron and loved it on the practice field. Unfortunately, it's the first MVP disc I lost this past Saturday when I reach a ditch across a fairway on the fly for the first time. I have a 27-disc bag which I now have 16 MVP/Axion so I've been doing a lot of experimenting and all are likely keepers. I have found MVP far more manageable for my game.

What makes the MVP transition complicated is I have been correcting my form starting with a Standstill almost two years ago, last year 1-step and the same time I found the Orbital I started the x-step with putters, and with a few drivers completed the first week with the x-step, working all the way to a three step by the end of the year. Maybe proceeding to a 4-step next year.

-The Wave Fission has replaced Star Mamba's as my main driver providing far more stability, also have a Wave Proton, and picked up a Wave Neutron today. Looks like at this time the Wave is it.

-Discs mostly on target with Crave Plasma, Volt Electron, Insanity Plasma, and Vanish Proton I've had them for a few months. Also picked up today Servo Neutron and a Tesla Neutron and they both felt great on the practice field, and they can fly!

-The biggest surprise has been the Catalyst Neutron and Excite Neutron. Have never been able to throw 13 and 14 speeds until now, but still need more work.

-Not going to let that Orbital get away from me but will pick up a Fission.

-Discs I wasn't ready for yet and exchanged, the Relay for the Signal which gave me more turn, and the Phase just to early in the transition, but will try again sometime later. The Nomad just floated too much on putts.

I look forward to learning from YOU the experienced as I continue to transition my bag. Plan on experimenting as many of the disc as I find them, and the different types of plastics as well. The discussion on the Hex perked my interest considering I have an ESP Buzz, so I'm going to be picking one up. The transition had been fun!

Last edited:
I feel like I've had a really uneven month of throwing. Elbow's been sore, head hasn't been quite straight, yada yada. But I can point to a couple specific throws and know that the component pieces are improving and there's a nice breakout/evolutionary moment coming when I can harness the sundry good bits into a channeled/focused good game.

Quick thoughts on a few of the posts above: I was playing with Josh earlier in the week as he was working out stuff with the Photon and it does suit his arm well. Straight and quick with a relatively mild fade.

Like Sprinklerado, I'm really digging the Plasma Inertia right now. Killer woods disc in particular when you need to punch hard and straight. In the open, it'll hold a big sweeping anhyzer beautifully.

Lee, agreed that the Wave's an exceptional disc. I'm finding that a Cosmic Neutron and Plasma pairing covers a lot of what I need a driver to do. The Hex is a fine disc, but I'd probably start with the Fission Reactor. It's just about a perfect midrange.

This week, I picked up a couple Lab Second Electron Envies. I've tinkered previously with a Proton and a Soft Neutron and never quite understood what the fuss was about. Good, but not perspective altering. These, on the other hand, are pretty darned interesting. I have a Stabilizer and a Proxy for specific approach shots, but I could envision the Envy covering just about everything else one might ask of a putter.

Hope everyone's had a great week.

Picked up a Glow Wave and am really digging it. My first experience with Waves were used Neutron ones and very flippy. This glow Flips up a tiny bit and rides straight, finishes left. Holds an anny line really well.

Local shop has a 175 Fission I almost grabbed. Is it going to be flippy? Never thrown heavy fission before.

I have a 173 fission Wave, and it's pretty flippy. Its slightly taller than my CN Wave, and the slightest headwind sends it off course (on a forehand). I keep it out of the bag for now, since my CN Wave has seasoned into the same stability, and complement it with a plasma Trace and a 165 fission Octane instead.

The Hex is money, Lee, you won't regret it. Feels great in the hand, flies long and straight. I have a glow Reactor beside it, but I'm going to pull it, because I'm frustrated by how slippery the Eclipse 2.0 plastic is. In with the Pyro instead.

Is soft neutron soft enough? I would have liked it a bit softer. My home course is rocky, with several baskets perched on top of ridges with severe potential for rollaways. Unfortunately, my soft neutron Envy won't stay put on those ridges, but a Get Freaky Zone will.

Can anyone comment on CN Wave vs Glow?

Based on two forehand flexes with the OTB Glow yesterday, and how I remember my CN Wave was flying when new, I'd say they're pretty close in stability. The guy who has it has given up on fission and plasma Waves, and he was happy with the glow, saying it could take some heat. He throws around 450. On another positive note, the glow Wave felt less slippery than my glow reactor, for some reason.

Well I found glow proton envy tonight.. It was hiding in a logpile, I knew if I swung a blacklight around at night I'd find it sooner or later...

Big moon rising over the rockpit tonight, I enjoyed the serenity. Still one of my favourite and ever-changing holes out here. I can't tell you how many times it's moved. Reminds me how "classic" a few of these are.

Only played a few, I'm too tired haha. Enjoyed the hell out of it especially the electron glow envy. Just a fantastic thrower. Doesn't glow worth a crap compared to the proton eclipse though.

Thoughts from the weekend:

Round after work yesterday at Suwanee and then another this morning at Etowah. Didn't score well in either but threw much better yesterday. Tesla and Wave forehands are dialing in as is the new Fission Defy (courtesy of Josh) which will hopefully make it into an actual production run at some point. Really nice shaping disc from either side.

Couple of really solid anny putts today with the Envy. For whatever reason, I struggle lining those up straight, but a little bend seems to dial it in.

Had lost my handle on the cave hole (no. 4) for a stretch but parked the Inertia this morning. Not a complicated shot, but the visual of throwing across the valley can get in your head a bit.

Haven't thrown the Catalyst much and am thinking I may be alright without. Will probably keep one in the bag for the occasional full width, wide open rip, but not missing it by any stretch.

Couple of really solid anny putts today with the Envy. For whatever reason, I struggle lining those up straight, but a little bend seems to dial it in.

Fwiw and since I'm having a beer on the deck... the envy isn't a great "straight" putter except under power. I get my best results with a touch of anny, it stretches the line before it stables out to hyzer. The nice thing about that is when it does pop the hyzer the nose comes up a touch and it stretches the height.

If I'm throwing a short lob putt it's always on a touch of hyzer to keep the height, longer putts it's a touch of anhyzer because I know it will stable out and hopefully increase my odds with the arc. I usually aim a little to the side.. Anticipate the fade, If it misses it plants within 20' usually..

It's a lot easier to put a little anhyzer on an envy, it won't turn just goes straight longer.

Random thoughts... with a stretched upper bicep kinda injury the 180 uplink flies like a buzzz... I think I've been adding too much late spin to do fun things with it. The Svea is a straight flying autocorrecting turd without extra power. It may be time to get that 170 uplink I've been wondering about :D but do I go soft? .... Probably, that soft neutron is sooooooo nice on a mid. The paradox will also be seeing extra air time this week, currently auditioning in hot pink at 167g.. :)

Last edited:
I have had one good throw with my signal that did what I expected it to do. Mostly I have had mediocre results... Not sure why it is so finicky but it is out of the bag at this point.

Sounds familiar. I'm bagging the Signal, but I only throw it when warming up. Ascend arrived today and will go flying tomorrow. I saw a review somewhere indicating that it might be a bit more stable than numbers indicate, and I'm hoping that will be the case. Not a fan of the Uplink yet, I find the Piwakawaka to be more useful, and I'll be testing out a new Kastaplast Svea for some understable lines too.

Signal is a very nose angle sensitive disc. If you want to stick with an MVP disc for this slot, you'd be better off either buying a used Relay or beating one up yourself.

I carry 2 relays, one is an OG Circuit Relay that is well used but not completely thrashed. Man that disc is fun to throw. Will hold an anhy all the way to the ground, even at lower speeds. In fact, i don't really carry a US mid anymore because it handles being powered down so well. It really excels at "flip to flat" tunnel shot lines. It flips up, locks in and flies straight for sooo long...

...and it also has a nice edge for throwing rollers.

The Hex is just stupid long, every time I decide to push it my jaw drops... It's almost making my 6-7 speed drivers redundant.

I lost my hex a few months ago when they were harder to find in stores. I started to rely on my crave more and more...but now that I was able to buy a couple new Hexes, the crave is starting to get used less and less.

I lost my hex a few months ago when they were harder to find in stores. I started to rely on my crave more and more...but now that I was able to buy a couple new Hexes, the crave is starting to get used less and less.

Yeah I'm starting to realise there are shots that the Hex will make that I don't even consider it for, since it's a mid. I've thrown it quite a bit but it still surprises me.

On another note, if I wanted a less stable Hex out of the box or at least easier to beat in, what plastic would be a good choice? I'm not a big fan of going down too much in weight, 5-6 grams tops. Right now I'm throwing a max weight Neutron.

Yeah I'm starting to realise there are shots that the Hex will make that I don't even consider it for, since it's a mid. I've thrown it quite a bit but it still surprises me.

On another note, if I wanted a less stable Hex out of the box or at least easier to beat in, what plastic would be a good choice? I'm not a big fan of going down too much in weight, 5-6 grams tops. Right now I'm throwing a max weight Neutron.

I believe neutron is the only plastic for the Hex currently.

Recent run appears to have a bit more rounded rim than my first run and seems to be a touch less stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.