• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a Plasma Volt this weekend....it's used but really in new-ish shape. Figured I'd start with that to see if I liked it or not before spending the money on a new Volt.

Played a round and threw the Volt 4 times backhand. The first two throws were really bad, but I realized that was my fault. The next two were really great flights and what I was hoping for. My next goal is to take it in a field and throw it with my Falk/Spear/Maverick and see how it compares. It might fit in a spot where it replaces my Falk/Spear and my Maverick. I'm not good enough to need a disc for every speed, so an 8 speed could well cover my 9 and 7 speed backhand spot. Then based on that testing, I'll decide whether I get a Fission Volt or not.

Once I decide if the Volt has a spot in my bag and what that spot is, I'll look at some of the other suggestions.

I got a Plasma Volt this weekend....it's used but really in new-ish shape. Figured I'd start with that to see if I liked it or not before spending the money on a new Volt.

Played a round and threw the Volt 4 times backhand. The first two throws were really bad, but I realized that was my fault. The next two were really great flights and what I was hoping for. My next goal is to take it in a field and throw it with my Falk/Spear/Maverick and see how it compares. It might fit in a spot where it replaces my Falk/Spear and my Maverick. I'm not good enough to need a disc for every speed, so an 8 speed could well cover my 9 and 7 speed backhand spot. Then based on that testing, I'll decide whether I get a Fission Volt or not.

Once I decide if the Volt has a spot in my bag and what that spot is, I'll look at some of the other suggestions.

I bag a Plasma Volt. I bag Plasma, because it is less stable than other Volt family members. I have mot thrown a Fussion.

https://otbdiscs.com/product/neutron-hex/

I had been looking for a Hex, and they were hard to find. Found them with OTBdiscs, so if you're looking......... Also ordered a Neutron Impulse and Signal for those turnovers. My second time with a Signal, the first a beauty right over the basket and into the river. To my surprise they had a Plasma Orbital, I didn't think they exist, so I picked up one of those.

Photon phans? Just traded a couple found discs in on a Plasma Photon that I'm hoping to pair of with a Cosmic Wave on the FH side of the 11s. Lately there have been more discs coming out of the bag than going in. This is definitely an experiment, but hopefully a good one that sticks.

Bill,

Just as a data point, I checked a couple of Proton Craves today. Definite dome shape there so maybe something to file away for backhand comfort down the road.

Bill,

Just as a data point, I checked a couple of Proton Craves today. Definite dome shape there so maybe something to file away for backhand comfort down the road.

I've thrown a lot of mavericks, domey isn't a word I would use to describe them. To be honest, I switched 2 springs ago, and the crave immediately took the spot of the mav...I'd put the Volt more at Escape domey. Just my two cents. I learned to throw with the Mav so...

I've thrown a lot of mavericks, domey isn't a word I would use to describe them. To be honest, I switched 2 springs ago, and the crave immediately took the spot of the mav...I'd put the Volt more at Escape domey. Just my two cents. I learned to throw with the Mav so...

That's probably exactly on the money as I'm not familiar with the DD stuff. He did say that he preferred a domed shape for backhand throws. Most of the MVP family stuff tends toward a fairly flat top profile, so this and the Fission Volt stood out, not necessarily as 1:1 replacements for his current discs, but as options that fit a particular criterion for feel.

Ha I was thinking of Bill today too... kid who works for me went out discing and we were talking about discs.. I handed him one of my 2nd run 165's, hate to part with it but I went on a dome checking fest while trying to decide which to part with. It hurts to let a bright orange go but I rim tagged it's red twin already. And I got those R2 pdga 155's.

Anyhow the cosmic is dead flat, all 3 or 4 of em. Maybe a hint of shoulder with almost puddle top. The neutron is a higher shoulder flat dome, the older runs had a touch more, my FR has flattened but still has the same or more dome. My 155 2nd or 3rd run has similar to the FR so second most dome. My heavy 170 cosmic is the flattest compared to the 165's.

Any one else see more dome on the lighter neutron? (Not the R2 they're as flat as cosmic but don't fly like it.)

Bill,

While that's nice for them, this means I almost certainly won't be buying a proton crave next paycheck like I've been planning. I miss the craves of old, and the best of those were board flat with minimal shoulder. Dome + crave = 🤢🤮

Wow! Lots of great feedback and suggestions. I'll definitely be checking out the Crave in Proton plastic to see if it meets my 'domey disc' feel. Luckily, I like trying out new discs....it's just the cost means I can't try out every disc I'd like to at once.

I'm curious about the various MVP plastics and how the current versions affect stability. I've read different things in different places.

Over 2022 I've been finding I that MVP discs keep finding there way into my bag. Currently throwing Streamline pilots in electron firm, cosmic neutron and proton. I'm actually really surprised by how slowly the electron is beating in, actually. Not quite where I want it. I had an electron soft Envy, but it beat in too flippy, and in a hurry. The proton one is older, but I'm not sure when it was produced.

A couple of months ago my buddy turned me on to the Uplink. I bought a 2021 Gyropalooza one off him. I think it's in the new version of neutron and that thing is absolute money.

My latest addition is a fission wave. It's from the 2022 OTB Open run and I'm in love. My buddy says that there have been at least 3 versions of fission and that this version is much more like the original. Having throw a fission 2.0 one that he has, I have to agree they feel like two different things.

I'm confused though, because this comes in at 175g but reading the descriptions of fission it seems like it's supposed to be more for lighter discs, but with the stability of a heavier one? If I get versions of the Wave in other plastics, how are they going to compare to this one stability wise? For me, at about 300ish of power, the fission wave turns a little bit when I throw it flat, and then has a fairly gentle fade at the end.

You will probably get mixed replies, and I have even gotten mixed results, but as a Wave fan, some of my newer Fission in the low 170s have been the least understable Waves I have thrown. Love them.

You will probably get mixed replies, and I have even gotten mixed results, but as a Wave fan, some of my newer Fission in the low 170s have been the least understable Waves I have thrown. Love them.

The eclipse waves are certainly the most stable. I think I have thrown a cosmic that was also decently stable...but yeah the fissions are surprisingly a lot more controllable than i through they'd be. If I go power rip and 100% then yeah it turns over but not like roller turnover. If I use a fan grip (preferred) they have a nice glidey flight with a decent turn but always comes back.

Fission plastic does two things the first is that it makes some drivers available in lightweight when they weren't available like that before the second thing is that it can add extra stability to be outside rim and increase the gyro effect.

I don't know if that will typically make them more stable or if it will mean that it will push straight for longer before the fade kicks in I think some of that depends on the mold. But I look at the gyro push phase of the flight and I assume that it will extend that.

Because the flight plates are essentially the same weight a lighter gyro disc will have less weight in the rim and in my experience if you can overcome the weight than a heavier disc will tend to fly straight further with less fade even though it has a little more stability on the whole.

IE my 165 plasma envy tend to hook up more than a heavy one but are easier to get up to speed.

I was under the belief for years that there was a different core for the 150 Neutrons then there was for the full weight but I believe that that has been proven wrong.

All of my fission waves have been less stable than their neutron buddies but I don't throw heavier than 165g

Last edited:
The Fission Wave actually has a flight number change off the typical from -2 to -2.5 on the turn, and I think the disc bears that out in a good way.

Separately, I strayed a bit this evening and ordered an Ethereal/Plasma Pathfinder. MVP doesn't, to the best of my knowledge, have a Plasma Mid (squinting hard at you, Runway), so I don't feel too bad. If it doesn't make the bag, it'll still be gorgeous: I love the big tubular blisters that are showing in the Plasma recently.

Played a round yesterday at league. I mostly used my gyro discs and ended up losing two (a Servo and a Volt) in the water :(

Someone found a MVP Resistor I had lost in the water about a year ago. That was pretty overstable when I lost it, but now....it's really overstable. Going to have to work with it to see if is worth keeping.

Bought a Fission Volt and am loving it. Wanted to get a Photon Crave since that has been recommended, but the store didn't have one.

I was throwing my Cosmic Neutron/Fission Insanitys for forehand tee shots, Fission Volt for backhand tee shots, Neutron Servo and Reactor for forehand fairway shots, and my Neutron Hex for some forehand upshots. I had another Volt and Servo (forget which plastic), but they ended up in the ponds. The Volt made some amazing skips out to the middle of the pond. I think if I can find a Photon Crave for my backhand fairway shots, that could complete my bag (for now). I know another store has them, but it's a longer drive....but maybe I can come up with a reason to head out there this weekend.

The Fission Wave actually has a flight number change off the typical from -2 to -2.5 on the turn, and I think the disc bears that out in a good way.

Separately, I strayed a bit this evening and ordered an Ethereal/Plasma Pathfinder. MVP doesn't, to the best of my knowledge, have a Plasma Mid (squinting hard at you, Runway), so I don't feel too bad. If it doesn't make the bag, it'll still be gorgeous: I love the big tubular blisters that are showing in the Plasma recently.

I'd guess that if they do decide to give some plaz love to their mids, the Hex or Reactor would probably be first in line.

I'm curious about the various MVP plastics and how the current versions affect stability. I've read different things in different places.

So, a lot of people don't agree with me on this, but I'm right, so they need to get over it. Anyway, here's the real deal on plastic from MVP.

I'll give you a breakdown of how it works in general from all of the research I've done over the years.

The molds are all the same for all the discs except Electron and Prism in most circumstances. So, the same mold with different plastics injected into them. What happens is, the plastic cools in the mold for a certain amount of time, then is removed from the mold and is cooled some more. This timing in fairly critical, as is external environmental factors like temperature and humidity, because as the plastic cools, it shrinks. If it cools too fast or slow, the height of the wing and shoulder can be affected, causing differences in stability.

So this is where most people assume the plastic blend is the cause of stability differences. Surely Neutron/Proton cool differently than Plasma, etc, they reason. Surely metal flake, blue, insert whatever anecdotal evidence they've found based on their small sample size of discs they've thrown, is more or less stable. The truth is, most plastics have very little affect on stability. Colors also are pretty well the same. A very high amount of metal flake could cause issues, but it would have to be a VERY high amount, and I don't think we ever see that.

Plasma/Neutron (And CN because it's identical to N) and Proton are all basically the exact same plastic from a stability perspective. They cool at the same rate.

Fission, Eclipse, and Electron have some tendencies, that affect how they come out of the mold, but even those are just tendencies and not a guarantee on how they will fly. For instance, MVP has publicly stated in a Lab Report, that due to the high concentration of glow particles in their plastic, it affects the cooling, and causes the wing to raise higher. But, because the glow particles are also heavier, it evens out the gyro affect, and just basically messes with stability from multiple directions.

That being said, for the plastics that have a different effect on cooling, MVP can try to compensate by changing the timing of when they take them out of the mold, ambient temp, etc.

So where does that leave us with plastic stability?

Well, the answer is, it is MUCH MUCH more dependent on environmental factors and on each individual run. There are (relatively) understable and overstable versions of the same mold in the same plastic type just because of other factors floating around out there. That is why you will get some people swearing that Plasma is less stable, while others will claim their Plasma is their most stable plastic. All in the same mold.

But perception often defeats reality. For instance. when MVP moved production in-house, they started experimenting with Cosmic plastic. Their first run of Relays came out way more stable than intended because they didn't quite understand how to control the environmental factors. They later publicly stated this, and have since adjusted the process and now, for the most part, all Relays, including CN that are released are closer to their actual numbers. But for a large number of people, you can't convince them of it. They threw those super stable CN Relays, so now CN is the "most stable" plastic. It's not though, it's just Neutron with mixed colors. There is no difference.

In short, the only way to find the stability you want in a certain mold is to look at the PLH and compare it to others. Do you want more stable? Pick the higher PLH. Do you want less stable? Pick the lower PLH. This is ALWAYS true regardless of plastic type.

The ONLY exception is Electron, which may start out more stable, but will always beat in faster to understable.

I have been playing around with a handful of Volts recently. I haven't tried Proton, or any of the new Neutron runs yet. Here's my take on the various Volts I have experience with.

In summary, they all start out VERY similar in terms of stability. If Neutron is the baseline, then I would say Fission starts a touch more stable, Electron a touch less stable, and Plasma just has a bit more glide.

The main difference I'm seeing is how far they push forward before they start to fade. Around 30' difference between my shortest flyer and longest. The only one that I've really used a lot is the Patent Pending Neutron, which I don't think has changed stability much. I'll come back and update as I season some of these a bit more.

Based on my first fieldwork session today, they're ordered below from shortest to furthest average throws.
- Patent Pending Neutron 173 ~ 290'
- Plasma 172 ~ 295'
- Fission 172 ~ 310'
- Fission 165 ~ 315'
- Electron 167 ~ 320'

Status
Not open for further replies.