• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Neutron discs are just a tiny bit shorter than the Protons if you lay them on a flat surface and compare them. They also seem a pinch more grippy and flexible than the regular Protons. I feel like they glide a hair better but it could just be in my head. Any differences are really minor though.

I agree that most of the wear on a traditional disc is on the wing/nose of the disc, but in the case with MVP, as I'm sure you know, it's about the bead.

True true, I will agree with that.

For what it is worth, I play with a non textured opaque 166g stormtrooper at Buffalo ridge all the time. The bead has taken very minimal damage. Buffalo ridge is one of the most unforgiving courses in existence when it comes to damaging discs. I bet these neutrons will be fine.

Just picked up an axis and I have played about 3 rounds with it and it flies nothing like its supposed to, flies very similar to my vector which is overstable. From what Ive read on here, the axis is supposed to be straight to understable. I thought MVP was all about consistency??

If you go buy 3 more, I'll bet they will be consistent! Consistency, for any company would be the same mold with the same plastic flies the same. ALL disc companies are going to have variance between plastics of the same mold.

Just picked up an axis and I have played about 3 rounds with it and it flies nothing like its supposed to, flies very similar to my vector which is overstable. From what Ive read on here, the axis is supposed to be straight to understable. I thought MVP was all about consistency??

There are some that don't fly like the vast majority. But from my own experience throwing the Axis ( I love it, new favorite disc, it booted Rocs from my bag, first time since I started playing that I have no Rocs in my bag) that maybe you nosed it up and/or didn't put enough spin on it. Others have said, and I have discovered for myself, that these disc like spin. Snap. I have found that if I get the nose up a little too much, and/or don't snap it/spin it enough it will stall out and fade.

Or perhaps you got a freak one.

Is it domey or flat? In my experience domey axi = overstable, flat = neutral.

something else I thought of. Axis is very much point and shoot. Whatever angle you release on, it will usually hold till the very end, or, near very end (95%) of its flight.

So if you put a micro hyzer angle on it even, it will hyzer all the way. You have to release very flat for a flat straight, or flat slight turn, shot.

something else I thought of. Axis is very much point and shoot. Whatever angle you release on, it will usually hold till the very end, or, near very end (95%) of its flight.

So if you put a micro hyzer angle on it even, it will hyzer all the way. You have to release very flat for a flat straight, or flat slight turn, shot.

This ^^^

It seems counter-intuitive, especially because I'm used to having my stable to neutral discs snap up flat off a hyzer release. The Axis simply refuses to do this. Put it out flat, it'll fly straight. Give it hyzer, it'll fly the line. Give it anny, and man-oh-man will it hold that line. The only compliments I seem to get these days are from people watching that Axis hold an anhyzer.

The axis has improved my game alot, and mainly due to its line holding abilities, especially the anhyzer line.

I'll try to get a pic if I run into the guy again. Looked like a bead to me, but I didn't have anything to compare it to.

There's also the disc name, MVP Logo, PDGA Logo and Gyro Logo on the overmold to look at.

Tried to post this in the Axis thread, but the forums said it was too old to post a reply.

I know the Axis has been out for quite some time now, and there have been quite a few reviews on it, but I wanted to write my own up for a couple reasons.

I am a casual golfer, I don't play tournys and golf only 1 to 2 times a week due to time/distance constraints. I am new to DGCR, but a long time lurker on DGR. DGR is where I got "educated" as the person who introduced me to the sport seven years ago had me throwing latest/greatest/fastest/innova. As a result, my technique is only now starting to develope as I am playing more regularly. My max D is only about 300'.

So, as I was reading the forums I got really interested in MVP, especially when the Anode came out. I read everything I could about it and the Axis. In June I ordered 2 soft Anodes, 1 Med and an Axis.

The person who started me golfing had the good sense to give me a DX Roc, although he never fully explained why a beat DX can be great. Well I have been working on beating one in and it was just finally getting to the sweat spot when I got the Axis. I just ordered and received a Vector, which booted the last Roc out of my bag. For 7 years, the only disc that has been consistently in the bag were Rocs. I never thought I would stop carrying and using them.

The Axis is my new favorite disc, in large part because it is what I had hoped my beat DX Roc would become, and so much more (not sure if that was a realistic hope) right out of the box.

My home course is Highland Springs in Lakeport, CA, a Steady Ed designed course. Its been tweaked over the years, but it offers a huge variety of shots, and is mostly wooded. There is ample opportunity/need for a mid that goes straight, holds a hyzer, and holds an anhyzer.

Right away I felt comfortable with the Axis, like I had been throwing it for years. I feel I can trust it to hold any line I put it on, like no other disc I have ever thrown. As many others have said, its point and shoot. It holds pretty much any angle, even tiny, tiny ones, all the way to the ground. The only exception I have found is if you don't get enough spin, and/or get it too high it can stall out and fade, just like any other disc. It is pretty decent into the wind, as long as its not a huge wind. I have threaded holes and gaps in tree lines more often since throwing this disc than I ever have in the past 7 years of golfing. It is simply a versatile, confidence inspiring disc. I actually want to throw it over drivers whenever I can because I feel like I can control it and place it better. Although, my FD Jackel gives it a run for the money in the confidence inspired department.

It has improved my game immensely, due to its line holding capabilities, and due to how I approach shots mentally. Having read most of the reviews and pages of threads on MVP discs, I went into using this disc knowing I needed to put good spin/snap on it. Well, that has carried over to my drivers as well. Since I started throwing my Anodes, and Axis I have become far more consistent, my pathetic distance has increased, and I land in the fairway/where I aim far more often than I used to. Now, thats not the disc that made that happen, but its because I read the reviews by Mike C and discspeed and knew that they wanted that spin/snap.

So, as a developing, enthusiastic, ex-Roc throwing, disc golfer, thats my review of my new favorite disc. I am eagerly looking forward to getting familiar with the Vector, and soon I will have an Ion, and the Volt as well. The quality of MVP discs has me hooked.

I have two N Ions that are fairly flexible. I had the chance to fondle some N Anodes today, and they were much firmer. Is this normal for the molds, or normal for Neutron to vary much?

Well MVP announced the neutron mids publicly on Facebook. I wonder when their site will be updated?

Status
Not open for further replies.