• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

I have one of each... a 171 circuit and a 160 SE rhythm..

The circuit has a nice gradual dome, very happy with it, goes a little longer than the new 160. The new one is board flat, more stable, fairly similar but a much harsher and fast fade and less turn and float... but they pretty much land 15-20' apart. It doesn't seem to have the same glide yet. Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about the flat new one, I like that mild dome for my backhand disc, it inspires a glidey confidence.

Sooo . . . played Clark's Run using low-160s stock Neutron Rhythm as my only driver. Dang, that disc can fly laser lines.

Also pretty workable. Throw it anny, it holds turn for most of the flight, usually panning out late with any height. Thrown hyzer it flips up a bit and finishes hyzer. Best short description would be that it flies like a slower, fairway driver version of a Wave. Which is perfect, since I have thrown Waves pretty much since they came out.

Final thing I like is that the Rhythm is very "intuitive". Even though this is only my second round with the disc, I was never surprised by how it flew. Hit some tricky lines with it, too.

Thumbs up from me. :thmbup:

Sooo . . . played Clark's Run using low-160s stock Neutron Rhythm as my only driver. Dang, that disc can fly laser lines.

Also pretty workable. Throw it anny, it holds turn for most of the flight, usually panning out late with any height. Thrown hyzer it flips up a bit and finishes hyzer. Best short description would be that it flies like a slower, fairway driver version of a Wave. Which is perfect, since I have thrown Waves pretty much since they came out.

Final thing I like is that the Rhythm is very "intuitive". Even though this is only my second round with the disc, I was never surprised by how it flew. Hit some tricky lines with it, too.

Thumbs up from me. :thmbup:

As a fellow Wave thrower, I simultaneously love and hate what you just wrote. I thought my bag was locked in for the foreseeable future. But now I can see something like this worming it's way in. Especially since I have a slot that I'm not super sold on, and "slower wave" is exactly that spot......

I also seem to have similar tastes in discs as you, so that only makes me wanna try one more. Luckily, we are in the middle of a white-out blizzard, with over 10 inches of snow falling, -30 wind chills, and 50moh winds, so it'll be easy to put disc golf out of mind for a bit.

Ha!!! Really!!??

We're at a -20 with windchill, 20 inches of snow on the ground... I haven't played since Saturday and all I want to do is buy discs that I cant throw right now. I was almost tempted to try a snow round today.. Take some disposables out on my place and see how many I come back with.

Glad someone else is liking the rhythm as much as I am!

As a fellow Wave thrower, I simultaneously love and hate what you just wrote. I thought my bag was locked in for the foreseeable future. But now I can see something like this worming it's way in. Especially since I have a slot that I'm not super sold on, and "slower wave" is exactly that spot......

Haha, I know what you mean.

Not sure how the Rhythm will fit in the bag. I haven't really tossed it FH yet, and I also have not tested it into a strong headwind. But I'm hoping it might replace a couple of discs that I'm not totally in love with.

I also seem to have similar tastes in discs as you, so that only makes me wanna try one more. Luckily, we are in the middle of a white-out blizzard, with over 10 inches of snow falling, -30 wind chills, and 50moh winds, so it'll be easy to put disc golf out of mind for a bit.

Yeah I hear y'all are having some very non-disc golf friendly weather. We should get a somewhat milder version in a couple more days.

Ok. Tell me about your Teslas.

It's not a spot I'm really looking to fill but it's been a while since I've experimented with something different. I can probably trade in some stuff from the stash so trying one out won't cost me anything.

It's not a spot I'm really looking to fill but it's been a while since I've experimented with something different. I can probably trade in some stuff from the stash so trying one out won't cost me anything.

With the typical disclaimer that your altitude will render what I'm about to say useless, I *love* the Plasma Tesla. Reliably stable. Useable shapes forehand and backhand. Not in the least bit finicky. I had a couple of the Fissions and didn't bond. Nothing I could put my finger on. Lots of folks dig them and you might very well too.

Yup plasma is the way to go with the new run.. Nice turn reliable classic easiest to throw of the current runs.. unless you have a decent arm then a neutron is/has always been the most consistent tesla. Classic tesla beef, somewhat unchanged between runs, mostly, everything there is to love about it if you can throw it consistently.

New fission are more stable than the neutrons. Kinda a freaky high plh kinda thing.

I really like it for a beefy turn to fade disc. Obviously I love my pp fission tesla, kinda like a better volt with turn potential, glide and the ultimate wind fighter. Least stable of any other tesla I've tried.

Anyone got a light 155-160 PP fission tesla? They hate because it's "flippy?" PM me.. :D... seriously. I'd love a 155 pp fission

Last edited:

I love Teslas, I'm quite partial to proton plastic. The most recent run is supple and grippy, and they're very much the MVP equivalent of a PD or Getaway. I enjoy them for straight to fade control shots between 350 and 390, and while I don't like higher speed gyro drivers due to touchiness and high spin needed to get full flight, I find the 9 speed gyros to be just right.

They break in slowly, starting off as 9/4/0/3 and eventually reach the 9/5/-1/2. They're fantastic forehand drivers, and hold up into moderate headwinds.

It's a great mold to cycle, regardless of plastic. I usually bag 2 - a newer more OS tesla, along with a beat in one. They compliment my
CN insanity and flippier N insanity.

Teslas are often board flat, and IMO those aren't the good ones. Slightly flat to slightly domed are money, to find shop in person or OTB. They are more workable and go 20-30' farther. Teslas also go farther and have more fade than Wrath's in my experience. Insanities go farther still.

The Cosmic Neutron Teslas are too flat and OS, and while plasmas and protons fly similarly - in my experience I like how proton beats in more than plasma.

Second to the protons IMO are non-board flat neutrons from recent (2y) runs. They've really nailed the blend, similar to L64 Royal.

I've been messing with fission Teslas, but for the CD slot in my bag I need the discs to hold up against wind so the lightweight ones are a no go. I have a 173 neon green fission I've decided to keep for autumn in western NY, which serves as a counterpart to my other more OS Teslas, and I'm hopeful that it'll beat in to provide long flex lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Geez that makes me want to try some protons again!

Do they have the same amount of turn as the new plasma's?

Fission Tesla 172g three months ago started out dead straight, now has a little fade. Can handle 20-25 mph winds, today winds were ripping thru the home course at 30-40 mph for the first time this winter, didn't pull it out though. It has become one of the most reliable discs in my bag, I have my holes for it on the courses I frequent.

The Fission replaced a Neutron Tesla which performed O/S for the most part, good with wind, but not as reliable. After a few weeks comparing the two, the neutron left the bag.

When I see a Plasma, I'll will pick it up, the Plasma's have been my most reliable plastic.

I wanted to learn to throw putters well, so I went old school and threw Aviar P&As and Jk Aviars. I love them both, but in an effort to get it down to one putter mold, I picked up a Nomad. My local shop has the special editions for 50% off due to overstock, so i figured if it's close to a JK Aviar, I'll be in good shape. They are definitely very similar and the Nomad is also in a premium plastic (champ Aviars are just too deep), so I'm experimenting with a plasma and some electron Nomads as a jk replacement. Anyone else make this same switch?

I bounce back and forth between Nomads & Envys/Proxys. I lost my flippy Plasma Nomad, so I have to break in another before I flip back.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I have one … a dyed Neutron 174gm one. Very dumpy. I just can't get it to fly, and I can throw my Servo's further. I had a lesson with a local young gun pro last week (which was excellent) and he had me throwing the Servo sidearm just as far as backhand (~295).

It's been a while since I tried that Tesla. Perhaps I should give it another go.

I've been messing with a 146 little dome fission tesla.. I can get reasonable distance BH but FH really shows off its dumpy high plh with my less than ideal FH form. It's funny because I'm runnin it against my lower plh 155 flat plasma which does the exact opposite. Haha. Good for FH with a long flat carry, more dumpy on the less spin powered BH.

It's been a little frustrating, I pulled out my 158 SE N tesla to try next. At least it's more consistent FH or BH. I should probably dig out my fibreglass fission tesla's and start working them a little harder. They are a little less stable than the current run of fission and a lot Farmer who . They hit trees with a solid hollow bonk!.

>t would sure be nice if I could hit a store and find a mild dome low plh one or two haha.

Went to a course throwing about five putters off the tee on each hole. Main focus was comparing the Envy to the Atom. Unfortunately I am not sure I can draw too many conclusions. My soft neutron Envy seems to be more beat in than I realized and was actually straighter in most cases than the new proton Atom. That said, the fresh proton Atom is more in line with where I would like to be from the start than the Envy. As others have stated in the Envy thread here, the Harp (zone for others) and the fresh Envy tend to have a bit of overlap.

I also have a BT Medium Harp that I am trying to beat into a straight thrower which, again, encroaches on Envy territory. Overall the changes I have made in the last month to my bag I have been extremely pleased with the results. It is so very hard to even consider dropping the Envy but ultimately the Atom seems to fit my bag better. It's hard for me to drop Drifts but beat up Volts are there and they overlap. Now the nice thing about Drifts is that I can still keep them for super rocky courses or if I lose a seasoned volt.

And speaking of Volts, I am not even sure what to do about the terra. I will try one of electron ones to be sure...I like the hand-feel of the Terra a bit more than the volt. But a fresh volt these days is almost 8 5 0 2.5 compared to the 8 5 0 3 on the Terra. I need to do some head to head work with both of those discs but I am not sure if I drop the Terra, or start cycling Terra's and drop the Volt.

Zenith I am still on the fence. I bought a Clash Discs Salt to see if I could get a straighter flight with a bit more fade but ended up with a disc very similar in flight characteristics as the Zenith. It has a decent turn to it before fading back fairly strong. I haven't thrown them in a field yet so I am not sure if the distance is comparable. But at max pull these are very similar for me. I suppose I may just have to get a max weight Zenith to see if I can get that straight flight but then of course I lose throwing speed and distance as a result. And I don't really like Photons from a feel perspective but I may have to go that route out of necessity.

I might need to grab some premium Atoms.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk