• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

Someone needs to make a good, "I SWEAR I THREW THESE BEFORE THE SIMON MOVE" dye lol

:popcorn:

Ha. My in-the-bag thread documents that I was using an Ion by 2011. :popcorn:

Ha. My in-the-bag thread documents that I was using an Ion by 2011. :popcorn:

Lol, I still have a hard time getting away from the taller, old-school MVP putters.

Am I the only one that is absolutely perplexed by the fact that neither James nor Simon throw (not putt) the Ion or Anode? When I think of putter throwers, those guys are right up there, but they throw two of the least "puttery" discs out there in the Envy and Proxy. Those would have seemed to be an easy drop-in for the Big Bead Aviar and P2.

Lol, I still have a hard time getting away from the taller, old-school MVP putters.

Am I the only one that is absolutely perplexed by the fact that neither James nor Simon throw (not putt) the Ion or Anode? When I think of putter throwers, those guys are right up there, but they throw two of the least "puttery" discs out there in the Envy and Proxy. Those would have seemed to be an easy drop-in for the Big Bead Aviar and P2.

Simon putts with the Anode, no?

Simon putts with the Anode, no?

Correct. I was an Ion lover but always hates the Anode.

Lol Monocacy I too have posts back in 2011 as evidence! "DGCR posts from 2011 prove I'm pre-Simon:)"

I was off the GYRO train for quite a while due to focusing on RDG and Gateway made molds.

That said, I recently acquired a Terra & Zenith (I love James) and they're both really good.

The Terra is like a Brinster Teebird. It's pretty beefy but not Firebird OS.

The Zenith is very reminiscent of my beloved Sergeants. I played in some brutal headwinds yesterday and it never once flipped over.

These GRYO boys make a pretty solid disc.

The Zenith borderline doesn't care about wind. It's interesting that way.

I was off the GYRO train for quite a while due to focusing on RDG and Gateway made molds.

That said, I recently acquired a Terra & Zenith (I love James) and they're both really good.

The Terra is like a Brinster Teebird. It's pretty beefy but not Firebird OS.

The Zenith is very reminiscent of my beloved Sergeants. I played in some brutal headwinds yesterday and it never once flipped over.

These GRYO boys make a pretty solid disc.

which mvp P&A, is low profile / flight, like the innova xd?
thanks!

The XD is a pretty unique disc..... Most of the MVP stuff feels taller than I remember the XD and the DX makes it even more unique flight wise. Not sure which one is shallowest but I would guess Atom, flight would be closeish.

Though if you want shallow XD action in a mid then a hex is probably the one. Get a light fission one and use it as a putter :D

MVP started taking over my bag early this summer. Started with a used PP Volt that I picked up, then a few others here and there until the Gyropalooza box. Now my bag is over 50% MVP. I'm working on setting my bag for my first tournament in a few weeks and 14/22 are MVP. The only places I haven't found anything I like yet are putting putters, approach, and drivers. MVP owns the mid and fairway areas of my game, almost exclusively.

went out for mainly a putter only round...wanted to try out the stabilizer and see where it fit best in my lineup. I was surprised at how comfortable it felt. I've always liked the envy but lately the proxy is taking the bulk of those throws and I've wondered about the stabilizer...but it was Simon mentioning it that got me to finally try it out. It is very intriguing and I am still not sure. It is definitely a step up in stability from the envy but not so much that it pushes into the OS 4-speed slot...but it's closer than I anticipated. Still not sure if it knocks out the Envy & Toro that I am using..or neither. But between the stabilizer/toro/pyro there is a lot of beef in that area of my bag.

Also finalized my decision on the glitch today. I love that disc, I really do but it's not for me during competitive rounds. I just don't have the confidence I'd like to have. I actually recently got a second one but donated it to a kid on the course who proceeded to knock back his first big putt of the day.

Finally threw the Rhythm this week and they are way more neutral than the Ascend for me. I use an Underworld in that slot and a light tissue paper Signal to throw uphill.

I've had the Rhythm for three weeks and far more effective than when I had the Underworld. The Rhythm can fly like my Virus an understable turn with a little less distance, or an "S" line. I was just thinking I never took it the practice field. The first time I took it the course I threw it as a second disc behind the Relay once or twice and liked what I saw, and by the second round I was throwing it as a primary disc a few times.

I finalized my decision on the glitch today in competition rounds... it's staying. Used effectively it's awesome, had a few long runs at the basket and two ace runs, none of em stuck but they were on track and for the shot they were they were good without sticking, awesome if they did. Probably 5/7.

Same on the rhythm made some nice long shots with it.. It's cemented a place in the bag as something between a relay and tesla, (and a fission octane :D haha). Got a couple "bombers" and by that I mean solid consistent distance in some breezes... outdrove a few people just on the flat fade to straight line.. It thumbers awful... FH fantastic uphill. Probably 5/6 shots were acceptable to good. **** consistent.

Fission octane was 50/50 between awesome and sheeeite 3/6. Used the wind and carry well it throws less stable then I think when I get it right, pigs out if I poop it. Reliable hookup. Everything I love... little turn solid fade, good distance potential.

Which brings me back to my past, I really wanna be a scorpion guy, it's so weird and wonderful. It does stuff in the woods my motion doesn't.... But I really like that shot shape in the bag. Is there an MVP disc with -1 turn and like a 2 or 3 fade? The "mullet" of discs? Little turn upfront big fade in the back? The more I look at my bag the more I see this pattern. It's what I learned to throw. Ridiculously wide, heavy as heck, shapes like dream. It explains so much.

Last edited:
I finalized my decision on the glitch today in competition rounds... it's staying. Used effectively it's awesome, had a few long runs at the basket and two ace runs, none of em stuck but they were on track and for the shot they were they were good without sticking, awesome if they did. Probably 5/7.

Same on the rhythm made some nice long shots with it.. It's cemented a place in the bag as something between a relay and tesla, (and a fission octane :D haha). Got a couple "bombers" and by that I mean solid consistent distance in some breezes... outdrove a few people just on the flat fade to straight line.. It thumbers awful... FH fantastic uphill. Probably 5/6 shots were acceptable to good. **** consistent.

Fission octane was 50/50 between awesome and sheeeite 3/6. Used the wind and carry well it throws less stable then I think when I get it right, pigs out if I poop it. Reliable hookup. Everything I love... little turn solid fade, good distance potential.

Which brings me back to my past, I really wanna be a scorpion guy, it's so weird and wonderful. It does stuff in the woods my motion doesn't.... But I really like that shot shape in the bag. Is there an MVP disc with -1 turn and like a 2 or 3 fade? The "mullet" of discs? Little turn upfront big fade in the back? The more I look at my bag the more I see this pattern. It's what I learned to throw. Ridiculously wide, heavy as heck, shapes like dream. It explains so much.

The Resistor breaks in to have a bit of turn. Some of them (the domey ones) can even start with it.

The Resistor breaks in to have a bit of turn. Some of them (the domey ones) can even start with it.

Thanks man! I tried to like the resistor... haven't tried on for a while... I kinda like the 150 motion, just wish it carried further. The servo is kinda likeable that way but it's just too finicky on a hard anhyzer if there's a headwind...

The switch!!! God I loved the switch!!! I still have my favorite but oop is not for me. What a great disc!!!! Thanks for therambletoreminder... :) don't remember the ratings but it was 6 5 -1 2 in my book with the potential for 6 5 -2.5 1... hmmm kinda why I like the rhythm, the pattern is consistent. How did I never see this before? It's all a good turn to a hookup.

The rhythm is a longer, better switch!!! With a softer hookup

Last edited:
Thanks man! I tried to like the resistor... haven't tried on for a while... I kinda like the 150 motion, just wish it carried further. The servo is kinda likeable that way but it's just too finicky on a hard anhyzer if there's a headwind...

The switch!!! God I loved the switch!!! I still have my favorite but oop is not for me. What a great disc!!!! Thanks for therambletoreminder... :) don't remember the ratings but it was 6 5 -1 2 in my book with the potential for 6 5 -2.5 1... hmmm kinda why I like the rhythm, the pattern is consistent. How did I never see this before? It's all a good turn to a hookup.

The rhythm is a longer, better switch!!! With a softer hookup

I have a feeling this might like the Rhythm, but I'm doing my best not to. Would really love to simplify the bag a bit rather than adding another layer. Re: the Resistor, they're quite stiff new but I'm thinking about reintroducing my seasoned one (contra the sentiment above) because it's the magic sauce on occasion. If you weren't at the other end of the continent, we'd go and have a good field session to explore.

I have a feeling this might like the Rhythm, but I'm doing my best not to. Would really love to simplify the bag a bit rather than adding another layer. Re: the Resistor, they're quite stiff new but I'm thinking about reintroducing my seasoned one (contra the sentiment above) because it's the magic sauce on occasion. If you weren't at the other end of the continent, we'd go and have a good field session to explore.

Ha yeah man, one of these days I will get a field trip in to connect with other gyro throwers.. Don't go getting a rhythm and expecting a resistor, think of it as some ******* threesome child of a relay, insanity and a servo. I am going to give my SE flat rhythm a little more play.

MVP started taking over my bag early this summer. Started with a used PP Volt that I picked up, then a few others here and there until the Gyropalooza box. Now my bag is over 50% MVP. I'm working on setting my bag for my first tournament in a few weeks and 14/22 are MVP. The only places I haven't found anything I like yet are putting putters, approach, and drivers. MVP owns the mid and fairway areas of my game, almost exclusively.

Does someone want to help me out and tell me what PP means in MVP speak? My brain keeps freaking out and trying to figure out when Paige Pierce was MVP sponsored.

Latest posts