• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

I liked my pfn volts. I must have been lucky with a good run. Super straight with a slight fade at the end. Very reliable.

My Teslas were inconsistent from plastic to plastic, ranging from meathook to having a slight turn with a healthy fade.
Yeah the meat hook volts and tesla were disappointing. The FR volts were super control drivers, they would do some straight shaping, fairly easy to throw and laughed in the face of wind

The old FR protons I have are some of the straightest and furthest flying envy I own, the OTB soft added a soft but pronounced fade in the circle with a very Mellow approach flight. I like the soft for grip and turn, less turn than the soft neutron and less fade. Same reason I like the prototype eclipse with the pyramid stamp. I will be excited to try an Eagle one.
All my old Proton Envy's were OS. like 2 fade. I loved it long time ago. I still like my envy' to have some bite to it on the finish. If they are to straight its a bit annoying.

I went Tesla as well so I could get discs under 172g and there's been some issues but I think they're back on track. Good control and wind resistant, massively underrated.
I'm not sure when they started making fission volts in light weights, I had some. Volt was actually one of the discs that got me hooked into MVP, but when I got me some tesla's, it was game on.

My Teslas were inconsistent from plastic to plastic, ranging from meathook to having a slight turn with a healthy fade.
Never experienced that personally, I have a stack of 30 tesla's here in all the plastics.

Sounds like you two are living rent free in each other's heads, lolol.

Oh he's paying me rent.

The stuff doesn't bother me any. I get a chuckle out of people who are just outright annoyed by my participation in things.
Hate me all you want, it costs me nothing for you to hate me. Worthless emotion that just drains your soul.

Yeah the meat hook volts and tesla were disappointing. The FR volts were super control drivers, they would do some straight shaping, fairly easy to throw and laughed in the face of wind

A lot of people don't realize the first run volts, amp and all those early discs did absolutely insane things compared to the other runs.

But to preface it, the bro's were not running the machines at Maple Valley. They were designing stuff and trying it. So, the FR volts being so money was an accident, cause that wasn't what they were trying to design.

There isn't any easy way to spec a part to someone running a machine that has no clue what its supposed to look like, and you as the creator have no idea what is supposed to happen with the experiment.

I will say though, vector is still one of my favorite midranges.

Never experienced that personally, I have a stack of 30 tesla's here in all the plastics.

I will say though, vector is still one of my favorite midranges.

My first Tesla was a board flat Neutron 172g I found in December 2015 when I was looking for a few discs to use as a winter bag. I won $20 from one of our local pros who was so confident he would be able to get some turn out of that disc, lol. I also found two Clashes, an amazingly perfect Yellow Neutron Photon, and a Neutron Vector. I putted with a Plasma Proxy I bought in early 2016. Made the switch from Gateway Voodoo and never looked back.

My one disc golf regret was losing my Yellow 178g Proton Axis. It was the best mid range I have ever owned.

2024-01-1709.14.252751321365929000342.jpgYou mean one of these?I think I dumped all my vectors and I hate to try throwing this one, its seen some seasons and a lot of sunshine 😀

Midwise they have kind of traded their point and shoot low glide for a lot of distance, glide and more turn. I could certainly see the Matrix appeal. The Tangent, axis and vector all went exactly as far as you threw it, nothing more. (Well the axis had a touch more)

Whatever happened with the volts it was lucky that they came out as they did, I don't imagine it would have been easy to buy plastic to re run it. It was a good day to mold, little luck and some smarts. It stuck em on the map with a solid teebird/pd kinda ripoff.

The 2nd run PFN volts were good too, i think 3rd were a little more stable, MVP managed a lot of consistency early on even if its not what they were going for. Then the Volt went a little wonky and I stopped buying them.

The early tesla lineup was amazing but very different across all plastics, the fission turned more than a volt, neutron was more stable but not much, plasma was fireball level. They haven't blended fission teslas like that since. The early ones were so soft and lighter volts, the 3rd? run were not as soft but flew stable, the fibreglass streaky and hard but flew in between the two, then came the soft again that felt great and were fireball stable meathooks. About that time plasma was the nice S I wanted not a meathook anymore. I stayed away from fission and grabbed some neutrons which were consistent with the old run.

TLDR: I can fill a whole bag with teslas that fly very different and cover leopard to firebird flights.

My first Tesla was a board flat Neutron 172g I found in December 2015 when I was looking for a few discs to use as a winter bag. I won $20 from one of our local pros who was so confident he would be able to get some turn out of that disc, lol. I also found two Clashes, an amazingly perfect Yellow Neutron Photon, and a Neutron Vector. I putted with a Plasma Proxy I bought in early 2016. Made the switch from Gateway Voodoo and never looked back.

My one disc golf regret was losing my Yellow 178g Proton Axis. It was the best mid range I have ever owned.
I'm down to like 4 left I think?
Nope, 3 left.
2 plasma's and a first run.

I love the axis, but I sold all of them. got 8 vectors. I stopped being able to throw the axis for some strange reason. Upshots fine, but cant drive with it.

Little FR Axis going on right there.

Little trivia for everyone.
Only 3 discs ever said "first run" on them until the time lapse.

Volt, Vector and Axis.

Other discs first run had certian... things to them that made them identifiable, such as the envy.

2nd run vectors/axis didn't have stickers, the weight was written on the rim. Not sure how many 3rd runs did that.

I miss old MVP with proto stuff, it just showed up, you had to find it.
I love my protoplasma stuff.

Glow 1.0 stuff, the first run's of those had the name logo slightly smaller.

Hmmm maybe my volts are second run then.... I don't think your are right about the vector... I got this off Brad and Chad on ebay, I half remember this being before there was a stamp, kinda like my ion. I kinda feel like the "first run" vector came out and I was like yeah I guess if you WANT to call it that haha.

Edit: Hmmm looks like you are right, Brad confirmed in the vecotr thread that they were stamping the first runs and blanks would be available after that. Oh man buying direct and talking to Chad on the phone about shipping, decent dude. I appreciate anyone trying to get anything to Canada

Last edited:
The core plate is the same.
So if the disc is 170 class, its def a gyro rim.

All it really means is that there is weight compound in the rim, which there is.

And yeah, I'll agree with you on the Prism Envy being weird. I tried to like it, didn't Gel with me. Didn't much care for the fission envy either. I gave the fission envy extra time, and.. It's just the newer fission. Doesn't do it for me in the putters. I don't mind it on faster discs. but... just the putter looses all its feel with the new fission.

To bad we never got OG fission putters.
If they are out there, brad and chad got em stashed somewhere.
What do those Fission Envys do for ya? I have a few and I like them all. My favorite one is a pink/purple basic stamp one, has some nice glide to it.

Or do you just not like the feel of the plastic itself for that disc?

Hmmm maybe my volts are second run then.... I don't think your are right about the vector... I got this off Brad and Chad on ebay, I half remember this being before there was a stamp, kinda like my ion. I kinda feel like the "first run" vector came out and I was like yeah I guess if you WANT to call it that haha.

Hmmm looks like you are right, Brad confirmed that they were stamping the first runs and blanks would be available after that. Oh man buying direct and talking to Chad on the phone about shipping, decent dude. I appreciate anyone trying to get anything to Canada

I had to have someone help me identify my volt as a second or 3rd run.

There is some weird tooling you gotta look at on the bottom where the core meets the rim.

What do those Fission Envys do for ya? I have a few and I like them all. My favorite one is a pink/purple basic stamp one, has some nice glide to it.

Or do you just not like the feel of the plastic itself for that disc?
I TRIED to make the fizzy envy work for me.
And just... it never flew like I liked it.

Went back to my old PP Plasma for a bit, now its winter time I'm throwing glow envy's again.

The fisssion one flew good, but just didn't seem to wanna glide.

I TRIED to make the fizzy envy work for me.
And just... it never flew like I liked it.

Went back to my old PP Plasma for a bit, now its winter time I'm throwing glow envy's again.

The fisssion one flew good, but just didn't seem to wanna glide.
Ah, ya I have Envys of all flights lol, love em. I definitely have some that don't glide, at all. I lost my ultra glidey proton one in NJ at Graystone in the lake lol, saddest loss so far.

Do you live at low or high elevation?

Ah, ya I have Envys of all flights lol, love em. I definitely have some that don't glide, at all. I lost my ultra glidey proton one in NJ at Graystone in the lake lol, saddest loss so far.

Which was your non glidey? My soft neutron was kinda low on glide and don't even get me going on prism plasma....

I had one domey 155 fission envy that was kinda hard I didn't like and felt foreign, I kept working my flatter backup for shots and giggles for a few months and I like it more but for that weight it doesn't go any further and fades out pretty soon.

No, not yet, but I would like to see the Rhythm in Proton, I would buy some.

And a stack of Proton Proxies
Thanks man, well I will have to check it out, I bought a rhythm for $25 online, an L2 seedless watermelon looking proton. I was wondering if it's a miss stamped rim, I think I've seen that before online. Either way for $25 I'm in for a mystery, it would be awesome if it is.

Don't worry Simon seems to like proton and proxies. A Prism proton proxy is probably next on the list. :D

Thanks man, well I will have to check it out, I bought a rhythm for $25 online, an L2 seedless watermelon looking proton. I was wondering if it's a miss stamped rim, I think I've seen that before online. Either way for $25 I'm in for a mystery, it would be awesome if it is.

Don't worry Simon seems to like proton and proxies. A Prism proton proxy is probably next on the list. :D
Great find, I hope it's the real thing!

Smedium??? No clue honestly. Nashville is... nashville.

Ouch, 25 for a lab second?
Where was that at?

And, technically there is no "miss stamp" rims, cause its embossed in the mold when they mold on the gyro rim.

If it was proton and a Rhythm, that would have sold for more than 25 on any of the BST pages.

So if you got that on fleabay, eeeep.
Though everything on ebay when it comes to prices is about double what its worth, they looking for suckers there.

You got a link to that post or save pictures of it?

Speaking of Proxy, the long fight of MVP nerds.

Envy vs Proxy.

I really never figured simon would like the proxy better. Made no sense to me, the stability of the envy makes for power drives and lots and lots of control, but ... When I throw a proxy, it dont do what simons does. But .. .my envy's dont fly like his do either.

Kind of neat honestly.

The proxy isn't a "bad" disc by any means, but I've always called it the noodle arms envy, cause it's an Envy core.
RIP Particle, we all miss you.

Just never connected with me. I couldn't putt with it, I can't throw it with any level of anything ever. But I can throw envys straight.. Just confusing.

Goodness, this is way out of update now.

Missing all the extra glows. Missing the envy orange and prism.

Oh, proxy was made in proton. I guess I cann't read my own spreadsheet, better go edit that.

Alright, the day is saved with the edit button.

I replied to someone saying proxy was never in proton.
Cause. not enough coffee yet when reading my spreasheet.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    42.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts