• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tangent

Im thinking they might just DO all discs in Neutron and then ONLY do proton in Eclipse plastic, and eliminate normal proton all together. THis would be the smartest choice seeing as normal proton is pointless. it doesn't have as good grip/feel. And why not just make proton exclusively with eclipse, it looks better and for me eclipse discs are just MONEY especially the axis and doubles as a glow disc for night time.

Neutron and Eclipse Proton is all i carry in my bag anyways.

I used to think this way as well, why make regular Proton discs when Eclipse is the same plastic but in white/glow. Then I played in the winter and snow, and the Eclipse had to get shelved as I dug the old Proton Anode back out. The black ring helps out a lot more in 1"-4" of snow, so the old Proton is currently in my bag for the winter. The white ring became worthless as it blended right in, so only the flight plate was viewable. Maybe if they ever make some "soft" Neutron plastic in production runs I would consider dropping the old Proton.

And seeing that they are also located in Michigan, like me, maybe they have taken the snow/winter into account when offering the Proton disc line.

I also find that proton is not as slick when damp, more tacky and dries easier where neutron is very tacky when dry but hard to get the water off and any on there makes it super slick.. Very opposite properties IMO and great for different conditions. I HAVE to dry off my neutron discs were proton can be a little damp and helps keep friction if your hands are dry in many times in the winter.

I just generally don't buy multiple of any given disc. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up a Tangent and would rather have the Eclipse version if it was available.

**** I like to have at least five backups of any disc I throw a lot. Field practice, water holes, dome.variations etc.

There's no way they'll get rid of Soft Proton. It's too popular.

Apologies if it came across like that, not my intention at all. ;)

Just speculating on the benefit or lack there of having almost identical discs in the Proton vs Eclipse line up, be it soft or medium. Being both use the Proton plastic flight plate, the only difference is the outer rim color and added bonus of "glow" for the Eclipse.

Just kind of thinking out loud, why buy a normal Soft Proton Anode when you can buy a Soft Eclipse Anode? They are virtually identical except you get the added Glow bonus on the Eclipse. So it seemed within reason they may consider dropping the old Proton line and just go with the Proton/Eclipse line. But then I answered my own question when I had to play in the snow and winter environment in Michigan. Try finding a Blue Eclipse Anode in 2" of snow. :doh:

I was very happy I had held on to my original Proton Anodes for the winter. The black outer ring sticks out much better in the snow than the white outer ring.

Trust me, Eclipse glow discs are nice, but I don't always want to pay the $3-5 markup (depending on the retailer) when I can strap an LED on standard Proton and be set.

1. Eclipse discs cost more.
2. Not everybody likes the white overmold, some prefer the black
3. There's something to being able to market two different yet very similar lines of plastics
4. The argument that you personally don't like how proton plastic feels so it's pointless is about as dumb as arguments go.

It seems this thread is off on a tangent...
Back to the disc...The Tangent is the first mid I have tried in some time that is truly versatile and difficult to simply slot as under/stable/overstable. It does possess some high speed turn, but as you can see on Mike's videos that it is a very slow and methodical. The fade is almost non-existent. It's kind of like a mid version of the early ions.

1. Eclipse discs cost more.
2. Not everybody likes the white overmold, some prefer the black
3. There's something to being able to market two different yet very similar lines of plastics
4. The argument that you personally don't like how proton plastic feels so it's pointless is about as dumb as arguments go.

1. if they exclusively made only eclipse proton, they could bring the price down because they wouldn't have to mix multiple overmold batches. And if they where selling more of the eclipse the quantity being sold could help drive prices down to normal proton also.
2. Valid point. But you can get black overmold in neutron or even dye the white whatever color you wanted to. I find the white makes the colors pop vibrant and easier to find in the summer time.
3. Its not a different "line of plastics", over-mold glows so they call it eclipse proton. Same plastic, different color and added glow agents in the overmold.
4. Wasn't trying to argue, just gave my opinion. And i never said i don't like how proton feels, i just think Neutron feels tackier and better when damp for me.

Also, refering to my opinion as "Pointless" and "dumb" isnt a good way to make friends or get a point across. If you disagree with someone you should present yourself in a more respectful, mature manner that doesn't degrade an individual. This will go a long way in building respect for yourself and showing others you have better personality traits.

You do make some good points, but most people i know have more eclipse than normal proton in the bag so i was generalizing.. im sure some people would be devastated if normal proton was discontinued.

It would be interesting to see how many people would support only eclipse proton if MVP was able to release eclipse for the same price as normal proton.

As far as the Tangent.. I would love to get some in Eclipse. Neutron always seems a bit faster, so some eclipse might give it a touch more under-stable feel.

regardless of the plastic i will always throw MVP discs, so its a non-issue to be honest.

1. if they exclusively made only eclipse proton, they could bring the price down because they wouldn't have to mix multiple overmold batches. And if they where selling more of the eclipse the quantity being sold could help drive prices down to normal proton also.
2. Valid point. But you can get black overmold in neutron or even dye the white whatever color you wanted to. I find the white makes the colors pop vibrant and easier to find in the summer time.
3. Its not a different "line of plastics", over-mold glows so they call it eclipse proton. Same plastic, different color and added glow agents in the overmold.
4. Wasn't trying to argue, just gave my opinion. And i never said i don't like how proton feels, i just think Neutron feels tackier and better when damp for me.

Also, refering to my opinion as "Pointless" and "dumb" isnt a good way to make friends or get a point across. If you disagree with someone you should present yourself in a more respectful, mature manner that doesn't degrade an individual. This will go a long way in building respect for yourself and showing others you have better personality traits.

You do make some good points, but most people i know have more eclipse than normal proton in the bag so i was generalizing.. im sure some people would be devastated if normal proton was discontinued.

It would be interesting to see how many people would support only eclipse proton if MVP was able to release eclipse for the same price as normal proton.

1. How do you know that would reduce costs? Maybe the glow material adds to the cost of the discs production and that's why it costs more? Maybe it doesn't and they just like the fact they can make a few extra bucks because it glows? Either way I find the argument that doing away with a line of product will be beneficial for them from a business sense not a very good one.

2. I don't like the neutron plastic in the putters, it makes them fly differently. I also don't like the white ring and actually like it when companies give me more choices instead of less. This isn't the USSR... what are we all supposed to modify our discs after we buy it to make you happy; is it for the good of the people?

3. First of all I know it's the same plastic, but it's marketed as a different line. You know what my point is. From a business sense being able to offer more lines means you can sell the same disc in multiple lines and that makes them more money. If it doesn't they will eventually stop doing so.

4. Your opinion was that you don't like black overmold proton discs so perhaps MVP just shouldn't make them. MY OPINION is that this argument is dumb and pointless. I'm not trying to make friends here, you either like me or you don't and if you don't that's fine. You can always block me if that will make your DGCR experience better.

Don't you guys realize that all MVP is the same plastic in different colors?

1. How do you know that would reduce costs? Maybe the glow material adds to the cost of the discs production and that's why it costs more? Maybe it doesn't and they just like the fact they can make a few extra bucks because it glows? Either way I find the argument that doing away with a line of product will be beneficial for them from a business sense not a very good one.

Making more would reduce the costs, buying in bulk saves and longer run times saves money. But it might only be a tiny amount of saving 5-50 cents a disc(probably closer to 5 than 50.)

And from what I remember the glow material is expensive.

Back to the Tangent...at my arm speed it is flying similar to a Mako...but longer. Lots of glide and versatility. Can be super super straight, or can be worked on multiple lines.

It's hard not to get excited about a new MVP disc but I'm pretty pumped for the Tangent. Looking forward to discin' down for awhile and I have the feeling this disc is going aid in that.

I will soon find out. Thanks MVP and testers for all the hard work. I appreciate the insider vids and reviews.. My wallet on the other hand.... a different story. :)

It seems this thread is off on a tangent...
Back to the disc...The Tangent is the first mid I have tried in some time that is truly versatile and difficult to simply slot as under/stable/overstable. It does possess some high speed turn, but as you can see on Mike's videos that it is a very slow and methodical. The fade is almost non-existent. It's kind of like a mid version of the early ions.

it's funny how easy it is for you guys to get me so excited about a disc I've never thrown before...and probably won't even be able to throw quite like you do either. That being said, time to go place a preorder!

If it flies like an early Ion, yeah, I'm ****ing getting one. :D

(I'm so jealous of you testers, I've been an MVP fanboi since day one and got nothing to show for it but my modest collection of throwers) :( :)