• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

n00bs and their discs

I played a round once with someone who was schockingly skilled at putting with a Roadrunner.

I'm confused?? Who doesn't putt with a Groove???

That's right. Why do you think they call it the "groove?"

The putting with warp speed just freaks me out. My buddy likes to putt with a Dart, and I think he's nuts.

Last edited:
I often offer to help new players. I'll show them certain throws or grips or just a little help in their technique. One player told me that he understood what I was saying but could I show him with his disc. It was a groove. I was happy to be able to use my "discraft exclusive clause" as an excuse. Now you guys know why it's an advantage.

My wife likes to putt with a all beat up DX Valkyrie. It works for her....

I bought a groove when I was pretty new to the game. Not a good start. I still have it, and am tempted to throw it as a recovery disc. It's pretty close to a Whippet the way I throw.... :p

Because the Groove is the only speed 13 disc they sell at Dick's Sporting Goods stores.

this.

i went into a local sporting goods store when i was very new to the game. a younger athletic looking kid came over and asked if he could help me with disc selection. he proceeded to sell me on the Groove because it was innova's newest and farthest and fastest etc etc. i didn't know any better. i couldn't give my money to them fast enough.

obviously i gave it away to an unsuspecting friend... who can now huck the thing with a perfect subtle s-curve 400+. good for him. he can keep it.

REI also only has a few drivers. Typically a Wraith, Groove, and occaisionally a Valkyrie.

The problem when you putt with a driver isn't accuracy, it's not that hard to hit 30' putts with a driver. The issue is that when you miss a putt, it's going to fly 30' past the basket then probably get up and roll even further away. Yeah those driver putter guys hit plenty of putts, but they also have a lot more 3- and 4-putt holes than you would using a traditional putter.

Lol I bought a groove once cause it was purple... then I threw it and hated it. Gave it to my brother and he loved it... ehh... I'm glad he finally lost that thing, the shots he could make with it were ridiculous.

wait, wait, Blizzard plastic isn't for playing in Blizzards? what do i throw into a blizzard, a groove?

Oh man, now I'm tempted to go toss my blizzards during tomorrow's blizzard...

I have a blizzard Krait that I will definitely be throwing into tomorrows blizzard. Maybe it will fly all the way from VT over to NH and you can have it!

Pittsford DGC Blizzard round tomorrow! be there or be frozen over in HELL!

Hmmm makes me wonder how the monarch putts then. Since I could never drive with it. If the groove is greatfor puttig then monarch is a lock right?Cause my anodes wizards polecats rhyno challenger xd and aviar have all failed me

Now I only use red discs for putting since i read in a different DGCR post about how iron is used in red disc dye and since iron can be magnetized i put a giant magnet next to all my red putters and that way they are more attracted to the chains, ching, ching!

My bro used to Putt with a champ boss then he lost it.

His putts are slightly worse now.

i was a fantastic player with my CE Valkyrie only. Putts, upshots, forehand, backhand, distance. Same with my Lightning #3 Flyer prior to that. I had a blast (hell, a lot more fun than some of my ****ty rounds these days)

Once summer comes, you'll think i'm that noob. I'm going to be taking Putter and one disc at least once a week to practice. Sometimes will be roc, sometimes will be destroyer, and everything in between. Work on line shaping, interesting routes to basket, etc.