• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Need a putter that doesn't roll

I recommend just using whatever putters you already have. Take some time to work on your form. Go to an open field and really practice throwing your putters on different angles. Learn how all your putters fly when thrown flat, on a hyzer angle and with anhyzer. You can take any putter and make it land softly (little to no skip/roll). You just have to you know your angles. There's honestly no "magic discs". It's the archer not the arrow. With that said, there's nothing wrong with carrying a soft putter for approach shots. I bag a R-Pro Pig for forehand approach shots that I want to "hit n stick". I just don't think you "need" to bag something as soft as a Blowfly to compete at a high level. That last statement should be true, as long as you know how your putters fly on different release angles. If you're hell bent on getting a soft putter, go to a local store that sells discs. Feel up a bunch of different soft putters. Buy the one that fits the best in your hand. I think how a disc feels in your hand is important. Everybody's hands come in different shapes and sizes. Plus everyone has slightly different tactile sensations.

Last edited:
You need to get it more nose up then. It SOUNDS like it's hitting nose-down. At least this would make the most sense. The only time I get roll-aways is if I'm really unlucky coming off the basket (ie a low putt).
have not heard nose up for putts been working so hard with my backhand going nose down when i throw i bet i do it putting also ...getting a basket for the house soon so really want to work on it

have not heard nose up for putts been working so hard with my backhand going nose down when i throw i bet i do it putting also ...getting a basket for the house soon so really want to work on it

Putters like to be thrown a bit nose up. I know it sounds contradictory, but it's true.

Ever think of a short sky hyzer? I mean, those just dive into the earth.. Even low powered and short... Anyway

I think the nose up advice is for throwing a putter and approach type shots. Slight nose up helps a putter to land flat and hopefully not bounce and roll. I'm pretty sure putting nose up is a recipe for spit outs and having the wind F- you.

Most of the courses near my home are very hilly with uneven greens and roll away potential on about every single hole. Best bet when throwing an approach is try and land the disc with the flight plate flat to the ground and pray. I've seen blow flys roll away, all discs roll if they hit the ground just right. Best bet is to run the putt hard make it stick in the chains. If flat ground approach shots spike hyzers are a good thing, if it is hard ground slopes soft flat landings and something like a Nova. I don't throw them but i've never seen any other disc just stop where it was thrown so consistently.

This thread is making me wonder if square putters are legal

You beat me to it...
lol yea i was considering one where one section was flat so it would tip over if trying to roll ...but square would work better

if i could get good i wouldn't be asking newb questions

Im just ribbing ya Docxen, to answer your question im assuming you play at a local course that has elevation near a basket or two. Either get the softest plastic in a putter you can handle or use a lid like that birdie and learn to loft throw flat to the ground. That will help immediately. Over time though the real solution is to just manipulate the angles and speed of your regular discs to minimize the risk of rollaways, skips, and slides. The best advice though is to accept that even when you think youve done enough, things will still happen. Its a part of the game. Cheers and dont forget to have fun out there!

Im just ribbing ya Docxen, to answer your question im assuming you play at a local course that has elevation near a basket or two. Either get the softest plastic in a putter you can handle or use a lid like that birdie and learn to loft throw flat to the ground. That will help immediately. Over time though the real solution is to just manipulate the angles and speed of your regular discs to minimize the risk of rollaways, skips, and slides. The best advice though is to accept that even when you think youve done enough, things will still happen. Its a part of the game. Cheers and dont forget to have fun out there!
oh i do and i was just funning back a bit. But not a basket or two it's most of the baskets check out https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=902. And i toss left so a couple of holes are just a death trap to me cause i don't have a forehand yet. Btw everyone was right my wizard 2 days and it rolls too. Not as much as vip shield (my fav putter) but still it rolled today everywhere, even uphill (still not sure how that happened).

oh i do and i was just funning back a bit. But not a basket or two it's most of the baskets check out https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=902. And i toss left so a couple of holes are just a death trap to me cause i don't have a forehand yet. Btw everyone was right my wizard 2 days and it rolls too. Not as much as vip shield (my fav putter) but still it rolled today everywhere, even uphill (still not sure how that happened).

Cool, fun course. On a hilly course with fast greens like that, you basically have to get really good at matching ground angles with your putter, especially like baby flex shots so that the disc hits the ground before it comes down on edge too much. Even then, with all those exposed roots on some of those greens you're just gonna be rolling the dice sometimes. A lid in a gummy plastic would probably be your best option, like a R-Pro Polecat or Soft X Putt'R. You can also maybe tweak your putting style into more of a lob putt like Barsby or Hokom, someone whose putts go straight up and then come straight down, nose down and flat.

You can also learn to play the skip "De La" style and approach with an upside down disc or skippy disc and slide it to the basket.

discs are round. it's you, not them in this instance. sorry.

I haven't read the whole thread and I most likely won't. John be correct sir.

A local friend and long time pro had an encounter with the inimitable Mr Headrick at a tournament. This friend is noted as an accomplished roller of the disc in a wide variety of situations. Mr Headrick after observing him throw a couple of rollers as escapes expressed to him that he had never intended for discs to be used in that manner. Ya gotta know JP to totally appreciate this, but he turned to Mr Headrick and said, "Then you shouldn't have made it round "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a few options here. A)You should explore different molds, i.e. Lids or discs that are known to just call outta da' sky (anything called a brick should work if thrown right). B) you can explore softer plastics. C) work on your angles and keep throwing the mold you're throwing now. Practice keeping the nose up and learn how to account for the skip on "faster" surfaces. Good luck!

The actual 10 MM Brick is garbage even now in new premium plastic. The new plastic is a plastic that is like the old Supreme plastic only more floppy like the Specialty plastic Putters, the Blowfly and II and Gumputt and driver version. A disc that now looks like it is best for a dog disc. The Premium plastic is good for the other discs but not the 10MM Brick.

The actual 10 MM Brick is garbage even now in new premium plastic. The new plastic is a plastic that is like the old Supreme plastic only more floppy like the Specialty plastic Putters, the Blowfly and II and Gumputt and driver version. A disc that now looks like it is best for a dog disc. The Premium plastic is good for the other discs but not the 10MM Brick.

oh man i'm such a stupid newb i thought he was talking an actual brick...please forgive me

oh man i'm such a stupid newb i thought he was talking an actual brick...please forgive me

Nah you are not stupid. The company is Quest AT and is from lower Wisconsin and when the company first came out with the Wheel and Tubo putter in a basic plastic they were the only disc golf company in production in the mid 2000's with every disc for disc golf being ban, until they made the 10m Putter (made mistake in older posts with mm) and both Crossfire molds the 10m Crossfire. Quest AT is one of those companies that makes mostly discs that are trick type disc but they are not good. About the only two that are good are the Crossfire and 10m Crossfire, like a Shark or a Comet but in a 180 gram max diameter, even the putter 10m version is in the 180 gram max diameter. I know the Shark and Comet are in a 180 gram max diameter.

Latest posts