• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New California courses update thread

I found out today that there is a little elevation to work with and there are some clusters of willows.

Here's the crappy part. We have to start designing the course while the hobo camps are still there. I've been told to bring a stick because they have protection dogs. The hobos are going to be evicted (again) shortly before groundbreaking.

"Where are the hobos going to live?", you ask. Well, they are many alternatives including another nearby camp. This area has become full of drug use, sexual abuse, human waste, and the semi-annual fire. The city finally thought that we would be a better alternative.

That's what I'm saying. I guess, at least, most of us leave at night.

Nice. In Google Earth you can really zoom in and see all the little tents throughout the area.

*sigh*

apparently, the China Peak course is back on for this summer. Rumor has it anyways...stay tuned!

What's the latest on Taylor Mountain in Sonoma County?

I couldn't play in the UFOs pro-am jam, where Taylor mountain was used. But I heard good things about the course in terms of fun. Here's the latest on Sonoma County disc golf from Jah Chupa:

"So after sitting through that here's what you want to know:
Outstanding Parks Supervisory Board meeting tonight, Taylor Mountain is one step closer to approval, one more meeting for the board to approve our licensing agreement. If we need everyone at a meeting we will definitely get the information out, possibly in late July but for sure by August this meeting will happen. During this meeting the former Russian River parks manager now a member of the board showed his interest in us putting a disc golf course in in the Guerneville area...wait there's more, next a park planner working on Maxwell farms wanted to know if we had looked at the back part of the park there, we said been there proposed years ago, why? probably back on for there....oh wait there's more, the woman running the board came from the State park board to Sonoma County, she loves disc golf, she was talking about a privately funded commission she was on to see how to make the state parks some money......No brainer, I caught her outside and said why not disc golf in the state parks even though it's been a no go forever....she said she is definitely going to be proposing it at the commission, I quickly volunteered to spearhead that State Park course seeding. now smile UFOS"

Nice. The North Bay, for how large it is, certainly doesn't have a lot of courses. It would be great to see some more up there for when I go visit family.

right now: stafford, napa, crane, lake sonoma...and that's it pretty much. Will be nice to have a few more agreed...especially one in west county that has redwoods and is cooler.

right now: stafford, napa, crane, lake sonoma...and that's it pretty much. Will be nice to have a few more agreed...especially one in west county that has redwoods and is cooler.

Yeah something out toward Guerneville would be nice. But at least something in Santa Rosa to serve that city alone would be huge. Crane Creek, while a nice course for beginners, just doesn't cut it for variety, and Stafford is more of a regular golf day timewise. Something that splits that difference would be awesome. There is so much good land up there for it, too. I have heard the UFOS have really started to kick things into gear this year, so hopefully that will mean lots of growth.

I have good news about the Concow course. I have been trying to get tones to get the course going and I have finally suceeded. The Chico Outsiders (non profit DG club that keeps Chico's course open) have allowed me to use the old long course tones. I should have the tones out on the course by the end of the week. It will be 5$ per car for the day to play the course as many times as you want. This is a truly amazing property and will be worth you trip to Butte county.
66178_10200721132135811_1317571561_n.jpg

556124_10200721145696150_1329200188_n.jpg

252322_10200228979472302_281315403_n.jpg

Looks like fun. I'm stoked at the new courses poping up in that area. Hopefully I'll be able to make it back down there sooner than later.

China peak is definitely happening. Anchors ready to go in this week. Baskets as soon as they're done. Looking like next weekend will be the beginning of a new standard in alpine courses: 27 holes, par in the 90's!

China peak is definitely happening. Anchors ready to go in this week. Baskets as soon as they're done. Looking like next weekend will be the beginning of a new standard in alpine courses: 27 holes, par in the 90's!

Sounds awesome Peter! Where abouts is China Peak?

We let them get away with Central CA....

I don't know, I was having a discussion about this the other day, where we would put the lines if we were dividing up the state. We both agreed that the line if we were just spliting the state into two would be about Monterey, leaving Fresno as part of SoCal. When we got into discussing spliting the state into 3 we wern't able to agree so easly.

^^^ a lot of people in SoCal consider the grapevine and south of it SoCal.

Nice. The North Bay, for how large it is, certainly doesn't have a lot of courses. It would be great to see some more up there for when I go visit family.

Yes, no doubt more courses are needed. There is a private one in Camp Meeker...or there was last summer. I have yet to contact the owner, planning on that after my trip to Tahoe next week.