• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Course Proposal HELP ME.

prerube

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
My principal seems to have taken an interest in disc golf. I want to propose a 10 hole target course (10 is an alternate hole incase a hole can not be played). Unfortunately it will have to start out as a target course due to high theft and vandalism in the DC area as well as the cost of real baskets, but it will become the closest course to DC and hopefully if I can prove that it is a safe fun community activity I can get some money for baskets in the future.

Here is a map from my proposal
estimated distances:
1 200ft, 2 235, 3 165, 4 300+ over a creek, 5 300 (houses on left), 6 140 foot tunnel, 7 170 dog leg over/around old baseball cage (may remove this hole to make it 9), 8 260 basket on steep slope, 9 230 (basket behind small tree).

ANY ADVICE?

Attachments

• FSK proposal.JPG
    FSK proposal.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 186
Placing baskets near private residences is usually a course killer. Big arms and inaccurate discers will be up to 100 foot off to the side of a bucket. I am amazed that these function sometimes; but have also seen these courses pulled after installation, because residents simply don't want strange persons up in their yard. The initial, temp set up should allow you time to gauge this.
Not sure how many of these holes have "hidden points," but school administrators often do not want places for students to hang out and smoke cigs or whatever.

Might be better off seeing if the churches next door would like to get involved as they have a nice piece of property. I imagine the practice fields are typically used until sunset most school days which would make playing that course pretty hard.

I rarely see anyone use the fields, but that doesn't mean a new team won't start up. Hole 5 worried me alittle being so close to the property line.

Might be better off seeing if the churches next door would like to get involved as they have a nice piece of property. I imagine the practice fields are typically used until sunset most school days which would make playing that course pretty hard.

That's not a church, It's the fire department and I think they do testing and controled burns on thier lot, so no one can use it.

There are actually a few other spots I would prefer, the courses would be far superior, but I figured I should start small. Also I know alot of my own money and time will be spent on it, so I want to make it at my school, but another 5 miles away has trails behind the school that would work well.
My dream would be to see a park at Rosaryville State Park.

Getting the school involved is a great idea. As was mentioned in another thread, a few days ago, (and I realize this won't work for this year) if you could get shop students to make baskets; you've eliminated one of your biggest expenses. Keep in mind that should you desire to, you will not be able to host PDGA sanctioned events with home made buckets. Wood shop class could eventually build forms for tees and perhaps pour them as well. A concrete company much more likely to donate materials if school/students involved. I know all of this is down the road....but; just passing along ideas.

That's not a church, It's the fire department and I think they do testing and controled burns on thier lot, so no one can use it.

On the southside of the school, the map says there are two churches there.

Hey we have a shop in Fredericksburg. If you could figure out how much rebar you would need to make X amount of baskets and let me know I could probably get it donated to you from scrap.

You would probably have to get a truck to pick it up but we could make sure they were drops of X amount of length to fit whatever you had to pick it up in.

Maybe you could give the shop teacher some sketches and tell him you are thinking of using #3 and #4 rebar and what could he design that looks like a basket. We could do the circular bends too.

I can't promise it would be free but if its a small enough amount it is highly likely.

Getting the school involved is a great idea. As was mentioned in another thread, a few days ago, (and I realize this won't work for this year) if you could get shop students to make baskets; you've eliminated one of your biggest expenses. Keep in mind that should you desire to, you will not be able to host PDGA sanctioned events with home made buckets. Wood shop class could eventually build forms for tees and perhaps pour them as well. A concrete company much more likely to donate materials if school/students involved. I know all of this is down the road....but; just passing along ideas.

My goal is to create a 2 star course, so tourneys won't be in it's future. If I get permission to ever use Rosaryville, I would go all out with quality baskets.

You know, we should really get some minds together and come out with a proposal template.

This way you simply drop in number of holes, location, a map, and special circumstances and presto! One complete proposal to give to city council, parks department, mayors, church leaders, ect...

Getting the school involved is a great idea. As was mentioned in another thread, a few days ago, (and I realize this won't work for this year) if you could get shop students to make baskets; you've eliminated one of your biggest expenses. Keep in mind that should you desire to, you will not be able to host PDGA sanctioned events with home made buckets.

Well, they COULD get the homemade baskets qualified for tourney play by sending a basket and application and however-many-hundred dollars it is now to the PDGA to get approval (you don't get the basket back, either). :|

You know, we should really get some minds together and come out with a proposal template.

This way you simply drop in number of holes, location, a map, and special circumstances and presto! One complete proposal to give to city council, parks department, mayors, church leaders, ect...

Make sure to include a well-written detailed description of how a course would benefit the community and compare it to the costs of building/installing other public-use recreational areas like swimming pools, basketball courts, baseball fields, etc.

One thing I did when proposing LTC to my village board, aside from everything above, was to repeatedly stress how fast the sport is growing and how inexpensive it is to play, as well as mention that it's great for everyone from young kids to the elderly (I had an Innova pamphlet that had a photo of a foursome of octogenarians tossing at a basket). It helps when they realize that you're doing this for everyone, not just yourself (though secretly deep down inside you're thinking, "Yes! My own course!").

Wowser! That sounds like a great idea

My principal said go for it! Now I am contcting someone about baskets and I need to work on holes 5-7 to get them away from property lines.

Nice! Maybe you could put a hole at the north side of the school toward the front? Or the island and property out front? I'd be really cool if you could put a couple on the roof, or tee off from the roof to the field.