• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Course Proposal HELP ME.

My principal seems to have taken an interest in disc golf. I want to propose a 10 hole target course (10 is an alternate hole incase a hole can not be played). Unfortunately it will have to start out as a target course due to high theft and vandalism in the DC area as well as the cost of real baskets, but it will become the closest course to DC and hopefully if I can prove that it is a safe fun community activity I can get some money for baskets in the future.

Here is a map from my proposal
estimated distances:
1 200ft, 2 235, 3 165, 4 300+ over a creek, 5 300 (houses on left), 6 140 foot tunnel, 7 170 dog leg over/around old baseball cage (may remove this hole to make it 9), 8 260 basket on steep slope, 9 230 (basket behind small tree).

ANY ADVICE?

Ya, break open power point to make them map lines straight, then group them all and save as a jpg

Prerube, you should talk to Tom Coffin, head of NOVA Disc Golf. He had an arrangement with the DC Parks to set up a temporary course for a tournament last year with an eye toward a possible permanent course. I forget which park it was but I think it was in a fairly nice neighborhood and the tourney went well.

When Was this I don't recall any temp tourney's? We did do a Temp leauge night at Lake fairfax but thats the only thing I can think of.

Ya, break open power point to make them map lines straight, then group them all and save as a jpg

The course is very different now. Changes were made to make it safer, also the ground was only 5 inches deep before a large layer of cement.

I bought galvanized wire to replace the cable ties and I soldered the wire to make it more durable.
Hopefully this will make it harder to rip the bamboo off. I think I am going to put in 3-5 baskets then see how it goes for a few weeks. If things go well I will add the rest of the 9.

Project1-4.png

I accidentally deleted EVERYTHING (even Paint) so all I had to make it with was MS Picture it Express.

How about just keeping it a object course? This may be your only option with the problems fron DB. Or do you have any way of finding out who they are? It's a long shotbut maybe you can get them into DG?

Is there another park near by that doesn't have the DB problem?

I had 3 baskets in, but I got pissed off and dug them all out of the ground yesterday.

I got to school and my room had been vandalized, then I went out and saw the baskets were vandalized again. I went back into my room and saw that all of the pictures of my daughter were ripped off the wall and shredded.

I happened to have a shovel in my car and I went out and dug the baskets up right in front of the kids.

UPDATE: The bamboo was a failure, but now things are looking up and I have several choices to make. The bamboo baskets are being enjoyed in my own backyard.

The proposal has not only been accepted, but I have a limited budget. I can buy 4-5 baskets and ground sleeves, however the risk of theft and damage is still there. Another option I was given was to create PVC tone poles with numbers on them. These would not have any metal to steal and would be less expensive to replace.

PVC is the way to go. You could put some toe boards in the ground with the leftover cash to mark out the tees (children and adult) like at White Bank (gottafixit's course).

Update: I have 3 baskets ready to go into the ground.
DSCF3025.jpg

as well as 4 portable baskets.
I am still working on getting 3 more permanent baskets, but communication has stalled out.

Awesome to see you haven't given up, it looks like this has been a long process. Good luck getting those last baskets!

Cool
Are those the school colors painted on?

Are school does not really have school colors...100% honesty, these were the colors in the 75% off bin at the hardware stone :)

Update: 3 baskets are in the ground with tee markers and 2 pin positions on each hole.
it is an addictive little course :)