• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko ITB

Definitely an interesting mix of discs in his bag now.

I think the Champ Tern surprised me the most.

he threw that yellow tern a TON during Worlds in Pittsburgh, but I just assumed it was a misprinted PD2 or something... lol

also he threw some good shots with it, and also some terrible shots with it so mixed results with the mixed bag + Tern :eek:

i was so psyched for his long winded explanation and description of the tern's flight and how he uses it...... :(

I was surprised by the lack of mids too but looking back on that hole he threw Dom Clark's wizard on it seems like he pumps them out as far as most people throw mids.

I also remember JohnE parking hole 16 at USDGC with a wizard last year so it seems some people can put them out there.

he threw that yellow tern a TON during Worlds in Pittsburgh, but I just assumed it was a misprinted PD2 or something... lol

also he threw some good shots with it, and also some terrible shots with it so mixed results with the mixed bag + Tern :eek:

i was so psyched for his long winded explanation and description of the tern's flight and how he uses it...... :(
I mean... In a way... its really an endorsement for the Tern if 'old guy' Nikko thinks it can give him some extra distance or whatever he's using it for.

He definitely had an odd explanation of why it was in his bag lol. He definitely seems like an 'it feels good so I throw it until it doesn't' type of guy.

I also remember JohnE parking hole 16 at USDGC with a wizard last year so it seems some people can put them out there.

Driving wizards are up a lot of my midrange shots too. Personally I still carry a full compliment of mids but I def throw them less now. If I had nikko's arm I might not need mids either

Makes sense that he would have a mixed bag. not sure currently who he is sponsored by, but i know gateway, MVP, and i believe Legacy all allow mixed bags for their pros.

Rahn Henderson is the 'guy in Missoula'. He (obviously) does amazing work so check out his stuff! His store is Montana Disc Company and you can find them on Facebook.

I caddied for guys on Nikkos card this summer.

He throws the tern for any anny shot that isn't a putter shot. Other guys were throwing rocs and leopard style discs, he throws the tern. He also used it for max distance that finished right.

He never threw an MVP disc in 3 rounds I watched. I don't believe he does. There aren't any video clips of them flying in this video or anything after the sighting this spring.

He threw a Sinus for up shots. (missing from ITB)

I thought he had an old dx glow roc, the one with a 3" centered stamp.

I thought the blank white Rival was a star Teebird.

He strikes me as the type to switch things in and out quite a bit based on course, season or just because.

I'm not sure how true it is now, but I noticed a few years ago how little Nikko throws midranges and putters. Yes, he is one of the best Wizard throwers out there yet he just doesn't throw them anymore unless it's a really short hole (under 300). Once he gets to that midrange territory he just throws a powered down fairway driver on a slight flex line. I'm not sure what his reasoning behind it is, but that's what he seems to be doing.

In the European Open he seemed to throw a Wizard on just about every single shot, it didn't seem like he valued drivers very highly at all. It might have had something to do with the EO course tho, with all the trees and mandos

I caddied for guys on Nikkos card this summer.

He throws the tern for any anny shot that isn't a putter shot. Other guys were throwing rocs and leopard style discs, he throws the tern. He also used it for max distance that finished right.

That makes a lot of sense. Seems like he throws a ton of flex shots, makes sense that a guy with his arm is powering down to those lines.

I mean, I don't really get that strategy, but that at least lines up with what I see on film now. Before I just thought he was throwing crazy OS stuff all the time

He's currently throwing a purely mixed bag. No single disc sponsor. The End of the Trail Classic wasn't too long ago, and CCDG guys were commenting on his throwing at least 4 manufacturers.

He shouldn't have left gateway in the first place. I mean, I understand why he did, but he's just back to using a mixed bag like he was doing in the first place. Dave has almost always allowed mixed bags as long as the player was throwing gateway putters.

He strikes me as the type to switch things in and out quite a bit based on course, season or just because.

Correct on all accounts.

I've played with him a half a dozen times or so and every time he was throwing something new.

One day he had Dynamic Disc molds (way back when they released first runs) and the next week it was Wizard and MVP mids.

I will say though that with an arm/spin like he has...mids really aren't necessary.

I like to think I have a decent arm. Max D of 430 ft. measured....
Nikko could out throw my distance drivers with a Wizard.

It is just unreal to see what he can do with a putter even on some of the longest shots.

Pretty sure he likes the Enforcer and maybe the Felon (couldn't tell, might have also been Enforcers) He was FHing them at the USDGC.

He shouldn't have left gateway in the first place.
Doesn't his uncle own Gateway?

If so... I'm guessing he told Nikko to take that Prodigy money and that his Wizards would always be waiting for him to come back.

Correct on all accounts.

I've played with him a half a dozen times or so and every time he was throwing something new.

One day he had Dynamic Disc molds (way back when they released first runs) and the next week it was Wizard and MVP mids.

I will say though that with an arm/spin like he has...mids really aren't necessary.

I like to think I have a decent arm. Max D of 430 ft. measured....
Nikko could out throw my distance drivers with a Wizard.

It is just unreal to see what he can do with a putter even on some of the longest shots.

Get that boy a Scale!!!

He shouldn't have left gateway in the first place. I mean, I understand why he did, but he's just back to using a mixed bag like he was doing in the first place. Dave has almost always allowed mixed bags as long as the player was throwing gateway putters.

a lot of people got caught up in the Prodigy money hype train and believing that it was going to be a game changer. Many of them were wrong. Tho the core group of solid prodigy promoters has still done quite well. Nikko and Prodigy was pretty much the worst fit of all time.

Latest posts