• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko LoCastro intimidating a PDGA official at European Open '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excessive time and courtesy are not the same thing. There is no requirement of "notifying" someone they are on a clock- as some have said in this thread however a player who has already been warned during the round should know damn well that their play is under scrutiny.

Sorry, wrong word choice. A player receives a warning for the first violation.

B. A player who takes excessive time receives a warning for the frst violation. A
player who takes excessive time after having been warned for it during the round
receives one penalty throw. See 811.F.5 for a player who is absent when it is their
turn to throw.

I haven't played a tourney in a couple years. I seem to remember that a player needed to be notified that they were on the clock in order for the 30 second rule to be enacted. Is this still true or am a I remembering incorrectly.

There is also the time limit for looking for a lost disc. I remember that one also needed a clear beginning in order to be enforced, but I could be wrong on that one also.

Yes they need to be notified. But again conditions should be met. If the group as a whole is not slow there should not be enforcement. If the group is out of position, then enforcement should be able to come until the group has regained position. This is fairness. Unfairness is to keep it open for an entire round. where you warn a player on Hole 1 and then call a bad time on hole 18.

Yes they need to be notified. But again conditions should be met. If the group as a whole is not slow there should not be enforcement. If the group is out of position, then enforcement should be able to come until the group has regained position. This is fairness. Unfairness is to keep it open for an entire round. where you warn a player on Hole 1 and then call a bad time on hole 18.

I know this is not true. But thank you for your input.

The excessive time rule isn't for a 'card' it is for a player. Otherwise, we would have players saying...I'm going to take my time so you all need to rush and make your throws really quick. And "it's not MY fault we are slow.....they know I'm a slow player and they won't speed up their play."

... If the group as a whole is not slow there should not be enforcement. ...

By the time a group is "out of position" the damage has been done. That kind of rule cannot prevent delays. The 30 second rule helps prevent delays before they happen.

There may be also be a place for a second level of enforcement to kick in when a gap does develop, but it is senseless to use delays to trigger any delay-preventing procedures.

You may not be aware of this, but we are not talking about golf.

In disc golf:

There is no penalty for picking up your marker too soon. Just put it back.

Not that it matters, but I have called time violations. Usually one per new group I play with. The old guy who didn't scout the course and just can't make a tee throw without eyeballing the basket gets a warning and then for the rest of the round they don't walk up the fairway to plan their shot when they are next to throw. And everyone has the pressure of whether to call them for it lifted.

The last excessive time call I made was on myself. We were waiting for the group ahead to clear the fairway, got to talking, then noticed it had been clear for a while, and I had forgotten I was first on the box. I gave myself an excessive time warning.

In general, it is really, really easy to throw within 30 seconds. And 30 seconds feels like an eternity. Those delays you think should have been a violation usually time out to about 28 seconds. The number of calls made is already very close to the number that would be made if every player had a personal timer with a stop watch.

if you pick up your marker, walk to the tee, then go back to finish the hole, it is a one stroke penalty. Don't go back and it 1 stroke to complete and 2 stroke penalty. According to you all, the penalty should be greater though because if you have to walk back to finish, you are also violating the time requirement. which is why their are conditions set before a time violation can be called.

if you called a penalty on yourself in that situation there is simply no helping you. You were not warned and you weren't out of position. You cheated yourself because you don't really understand the rule.

I know this is not true. But thank you for your input.

Not true under the current rules, but it is how it should be. Then you won't have players going ballistic on officials. poorly written rules and poor execution of the rules is why this occurred. i would bet my house that the next time this comes up the official will notify the player and not rely on warnings from players several holes back.

I'll bet if Nikko gets suspended for 2 years, players will be less likely to try and physically intimidate an official.

How are you so certain that Nikko was unaware the official was there timing him?

This may be the funniest thing I have read all week.

You do realize that the rules of golf and those of disc golf are not one and the same, correct?

Funny? I can't even decipher what is being described. It's just word vomit.

Are you saying that as long as you aren't causing a backup, you should be entitled to take as much time as you wish for each throw? If so, then the last card to tee (in an event with tee times) wouldn't have to deal with the 30 second rule, they would be allowed unlimited time for each throw using your rules. Is that fair?

Seems to be a complete lack of comprehension here over what i am saying and it is pretty clear that all you hard and fast by the rules guys, don't really understand the rules at all. Arbitrary and unfair or this never would have happened in my opinion. If we rolled back the clock and Nikko was informed about being timed by the official, then i don't believe any of this would have ever happened. makes it appear to me that this was a concerted effort to punish Nikko or it wouldn't have gone down like it did. .

Not true under the current rules, but it is how it should be. Then you won't have players going ballistic on officials. poorly written rules and poor execution of the rules is why this occurred. i would bet my house that the next time this comes up the official will notify the player and not rely on warnings from players several holes back.

You are ignoring the fact that 30 seconds is in place for play within the group in addition to play amongst all groups.

It is to keep the flow going within each group so that one hero isn't throwing timing off for everybody..

Are you saying that as long as you aren't causing a backup, you should be entitled to take as much time as you wish for each throw? If so, then the last card to tee (in an event with tee times) wouldn't have to deal with the 30 second rule, they would be allowed unlimited time for each throw using your rules. Is that fair?

within reason, yes. If aplayer takes a long time and yous till stay in position, what's the beef. time can be picked up in many other ways, so simply because someone doesn't throw in 30 seconds doesn't mean they are delaying play, which should be the only reason for a penalty.

This may be the funniest thing I have read all week.

You do realize that the rules of golf and those of disc golf are not one and the same, correct?

The timing rule requires a warning. First violation is not penalized. Steve should have warned himself rather than calling a penalty on himself. it's not like i believe this really happened either.

You are ignoring the fact that 30 seconds is in place for play within the group in addition to play amongst all groups.

It is to keep the flow going within each group so that one hero isn't throwing timing off for everybody..

if they were throwing it off for everyone wouldn't they be out of position on the course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts