• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko LoCastro intimidating a PDGA official at European Open '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

Not mine, I take no credit

Attachments

• Nikko.jpg
    Nikko.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 465
Cam Todd sitting there thinking about his 4 month suspension and 2 years probation for criticizing a TD back in 2004

images
Just the highest profile "straw". He had a series of confrontations over the years. He and a couple other traveling pros with similar incidents lead to the PDGA Marshal program at the time the NT series was being created.

Let the pearl clutching commence!

Nikko was out of line for sure. But come on people. Every other sport has the athletes do that sort of crap to officials, including soccer which houses the least masculine male athletes of the major sports. Let's not act like Nikko is a crazy person doing crazy things.

The real enigma to me is how Nikko can be the most exciting disc golfer while spending most of his time doing nothing pre-shot. The honest answer is that disc golf is plain boring. TD's should pay Nikko to show up and get DQ'd for youtube views.

I think there are a few key differences here. When you have a sport where you have professional officials who are getting paid...athletes tend to get away with a bit more. This is a situation where you do not have professional officials, and in fact are expecting other players to call these violations and then be on the receiving end of Nikko's outbursts.

There's also a pretty big difference between expectations within a given sport. A hockey player who gets in a fight every week and punches an opponent might not be a crazy person doing crazy things...a bowler probably would be.

I do feel bad for Clash, a small new brand from Finland and they took a chance with Nikko. . and he does this in Finland

Are you kidding? Clash gets all of this pub and should be able to abrogate the sponsorship agreement once the suspension is in place. Worked out perfectly.

Don't know him, and don't care to. I don't watch DG very much, and have no "heroes" in the game.

I don't fight anymore - I'm too old, and...I don't want to.

But this kind of thing right here? Childish and stupid...and deserving of a black eye in damn near any other context. He should take up kite flying. No timers. But one day, if it hasn't already happened, he's gonna act that way toward the wrong individual.

Can you say, "comeuppance?" I knew you could.

I think there are a few key differences here. When you have a sport where you have professional officials who are getting paid...athletes tend to get away with a bit more. This is a situation where you do not have professional officials, and in fact are expecting other players to call these violations and then be on the receiving end of Nikko's outbursts. .

Very true, thanks for pointing that out. It is a very different dynamic.

Don't know him, and don't care to. I don't watch DG very much, and have no "heroes" in the game.

I don't fight anymore - I'm too old, and...I don't want to.

But this kind of thing right here? Childish and stupid...and deserving of a black eye in damn near any other context. He should take up kite flying. No timers. But one day, if it hasn't already happened, he's gonna act that way toward the wrong individual.

Can you say, "comeuppance?" I knew you could.

I've heard the guy in the video was a TD or assistant TD or something. I don't know if that's true...but assume it might be. I thought he handled it like a guy who was there doing a job...honestly it could have gone a lot worse if the guy had just been a volunteer who just thought "I'm not getting paid, why would I back up just because this guy walked up on me".

Wonder how this will effect Kat; shes on the lead card and i guess she will not have a nice evening . . .and will Nikko even stay i Finland. . he kind of have to for Kat

I've heard the guy in the video was a TD or assistant TD or something. I don't know if that's true...but assume it might be. I thought he handled it like a guy who was there doing a job...honestly it could have gone a lot worse if the guy had just been a volunteer who just thought "I'm not getting paid, why would I back up just because this guy walked up on me".

IF that TD would have the same temper as Nikko that could have gone a lot worse. .

I don't think comparisons to other faster, much more physically rigorous sports (baseball, hickey or even tennis) is a good analogy. The much greater physical activity involved in those sports gets adrenaline pumping in a way that golf, disc golf, bowling, curling... simply doesn't.

Not saying people can't get emotional about these sports, or that there's no excitement/adrenaline, but the level of physical exertion just isn't the same, and that seems to ratchet things up considerably.

Not to excuse his reaction by any means, but I do find it odd how randomly the 30s rule is enforced. People break this all the freaking time.
Major European tournaments actually have a bit of a history for being more strict about excessive time, for various reasons. We've had multiple cases of them being on live TV, for example. There might be an incentive to enforce it again, possibly because they anticipate a record attendance of well over 5,000 people for the final round.

Status
Not open for further replies.