• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One simple way YOU can make this site great...

Love this thread! :)

I've recently started doing this for the courses I plan on playing this year. Once I get through thumbing those I'll start looking on the homepage :)

Good thread needs a bump. Come on people this idea is gold.

I think this is a good idea because we all need the feedback, but I'll admit I don't read/thumb reviews every day. Ok I just voted on a handful of reviews on the home page. Now I will ask for a favor. :)

I wrote my first review almost one year ago and it recieved a total of five votes, 2 up and 3 down. This tells me it was mediocre at best. I recently rewrote the review from top to bottom, and have now written a second review. If anybody is willing, could you please take a look and let me know what you think? Votes and/or written feedback would greatly appreciated, TIA.

1st review(updated)

Very well written eman. Keep it up. I updated a few of my first reviews too bEcause they wre a little amateurish.

I think this is a good idea because we all need the feedback, but I'll admit I don't read/thumb reviews every day. Ok I just voted on a handful of reviews on the home page. Now I will ask for a favor. :)

I wrote my first review almost one year ago and it recieved a total of five votes, 2 up and 3 down. This tells me it was mediocre at best. I recently rewrote the review from top to bottom, and have now written a second review. If anybody is willing, could you please take a look and let me know what you think? Votes and/or written feedback would greatly appreciated, TIA.

1st review(updated)

looks good. gave you some thumbs :thmbup:

a couple things i have noticed about great reviews:

-really good reviews give you a sense of what it is like to actually be on the course, the experience of playing there.

-good reviews are easy to read. this means use punctuation, separate paragraphs with double spacing, use hyphens to create bullet points. what ever makes it easier on the eyes means more people will actually read it. (coming from the guy that never capitalizes anything :rolleyes: )

-great reviews flow naturally. they are written in such a way that each thought and comment leads naturally to the next comment in a logical manner. they are much like a good essay: thesis, supporting evidence, conclusion.

i'm always dissatisfied with my own reviews because they don't usually ever achieve the above criteria. it's much more difficult that it seems. lists are easier to make so i like to do bullet points in the pros and cons, then a written summary in the other thoughts section. i like this also because sometimes you just want to know a few basic things and some people just want to know the basics and what the amenities are while some people prefer to read something substantial that actually describes the course in detail. something for everyone i guess by doing that way, with the bullets and then the summary.

-great reviews....they are much like a good essay: thesis, supporting evidence, conclusion.

I hated writing these in school and always thought I was never good at it. :p

Thank you both very much for taking a look and for the feedback. I've learned a lot in the past year and was hoping it would translate into better reviews. Well, that is 2 reviews out of 20 courses played.....18 to go! :D

I went in and gave a few props to some people!

I vote "helpful" if a review was descriptive and informative. This is what I want when reading a review of a course I'm thinking about playing.

-good reviews are easy to read. this means use punctuation, separate paragraphs with double spacing, use hyphens to create bullet points. what ever makes it easier on the eyes means more people will actually read it.

I would say that 90%+ of the reviews I want to thumb down, but do not, fail to achieve any of the above points.

I may find a way to talk myself out of giving a :thmbdown:, but there is no way I will give it a :thmbup:

Fantastic content is useless if you cannot find/follow/understand what is being conveyed. Basic grammar and simple paragraphing are essential to your review being 'helpful.'

-great reviews flow naturally. they are written in such a way that each thought and comment leads naturally to the next comment in a logical manner. they are much like a good essay: thesis, supporting evidence, conclusion.

Definitely the case of what differentiates good vs great. I'll still thumb your review up even if you do not achieve "greatness" with your review. However, I think a good guideline is: your review should flow as well or better than the flow of the course you are reviewing. :)

I vote "helpful" if a review was descriptive and informative. This is what I want when reading a review of a course I'm thinking about playing.

Same here. I'll scout out a lot of courses before I go on any road trips and the reviews really help me figure out which DG destinations I'd like to play...at least if they're helpful. If they are :thmbup:. If they're just mediocre, I'll leave 'em alone. If they're really crap, then :thmbdown:

I took this to heart when I wad home for 2 months recuperating from surgery. I read every review and voted on every one for probably a good 6 weeks. I am taking a break now because there are way too many really poorly written, lazy *SS reviews. I'll read some, but you have to read through a lot of crap to get to the good ones. I am not picky or demanding, but please tell me something specific about the actual course. I don't care what you shot, who you know , or how much you work, care or love the course. Tell me if it is in the woods, hills or streets. Tell me if it has a certain kind of tee pads, or none at all. Give me a reason to give you a thumb up. HELP ME, HELP YOU!

End of rant.

Sloppy, I liked your title to Ellis Park: "A true waste of nice baskets!"

Your reviews always have nice balance, but I always want you to write more.

I thumbed (up or down, mostly up) all the courses on the home page today. Bring back this thread. :)