• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Out of curiosity - do you throw rare/first runs?

I just took 11x Eagle-Xs out of my bag thanks to PDs!! So happy about that. I throw 2 11x FBs, CFR PDs, Moore, OK SUPPORT stamped Legend Rival(DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY MORE OF THESE IN THE SLIME COLOR??! Hahaha,) First production run GStar Leopard, '06 Baby Star Roc, 1x Roc3s, PFN Multipurpose/ No Time Rocs, 11x KC Pro Roc, and an older HPP Evo Wizard.

I wish that the Rivals I like the most weren't $50 now, as I only have one. Same with my prized Wizard... On to the next replacements? :'( Collector's ruin everything.

I pretty much buy discs to throw. The only reason I buy something with a rare stamp is because I like the look of it to throw. I might save some of my old favorites that I no longer throw, but not because I expect to get any sort of return on it. They're just valuable to me.

I throw some '09 Z Predators that are tourney stamped, slight dome and opaque. I've had the same one in the bag for 3 years now and it's still a windfighter.

They're not exactly rare. It's just impossible to find anything close at B&M stores.

there are rare discs in my bag that I throw. Usually when something comes out I stick a team stamp or 1st run in the bag. When it gets lost I just put a stock version in to replace it. I have so many 1st runs, protos, testers, limited editions and basic rare discs that I really never need to buy another disc in my lifetime. Unfortunately buying discs is a bad habit I have been unable to break.

i throw some stuff that is old/rare/expensive at this point but i bought them when they were not. i would not buy anything to throw beyond $25 or so.

I have a First run Pinnacle Ghost bagged, but it was acquired back when they were stock price. The production ones probably fly similarly. My other discs aren't too popular or rare, so it's easy to get nice ones. I have noticed people mix up Cobras and Vipers alot. "Oh, a Viper? I've never seen anyone actually throwing one. It's understable, right?" Nah bro, nah.

I find it funny when ppl collect discs they don't use. Really do you have friends that come over, you show your rare discs and they say "omg that's so cool!!!" Disc golf isn't the most popular sport. Ppl who don't play do not care and i don't know many players who care what kind of discs I may have. I just don't see the point of collecting something no one finds interesting. If you disagree next time someone calls you and says "bro you gotta come over I just got this first run ..... With a ....... Stamp" how quickly would you honestly get up to go see it ?

I don't collect discs personally but I know people who do.

Not sure why people are saying the most the value will increase is $10...I have seen Ebay auctions for discs get over $300. Obviously those are the super rare/mint condition ones, but it is extremely common to see old, unthrown CE discs sell for $40-$70.

You may not look at the unplayed ones often but when you do pull them out, they are just as beautiful as the day you aquired them.

However, playing with someone on your card that can appreciate OOP is also a delight.

Maybe not the most valuable discs, but I do throw some hard to find runs of Orion LFs, as well as older JLS, QMS, Omegas and JK Aviars.

Thankfully I'm not addicted to CE plastic, my current lineup is too expensive and hard to find to back up easily. The JKs and Orions are especially hard to replace.

I have some special 'rare' discs that are an integral part of my bag. Nothing super-rare but certainly a pain to replace. I hate losing any of them... but, at the end of the day, its just part of the game.

11x Champ CA Teebird went right into a river last week. It was probably my favorite disc. 9/10 condition, perfect weight/color. I mourned it for a few minutes and then had to move on with my life.

Luckily I had just found another one at PIAS the week before for 5 bucks in the used bin. I think that helped to soften the blow.

I also like to keep some 'stock' discs in molds that I throw often and will use them if I ever feel there is iminent danger.

For me, half the fun of having rare/OOP/old discs is showing and talking about them with other players. I'd never get that chance if I kept them all hung up on a wall. I like seeing people throw rare stuff. Good conversation starter.

86 Softies first run is what I've been putting with since 1988. I have a few others that go in my bag now and then.

Were CE Spiders with the small Innova star stamp a first run? if so that's another one I throw.

Latest posts