• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Overstable, mild dome, beadless

Keith H

Eagle Member
I am familiar with many mids but not all.

I am looking to find an Overstable Mid with the following parameters.

Overstable, but not strongly overstable. Essentially a straight flight, no turn, with a solid fade.

Roughly speed 5
Beadless or a very small microbead
Mildly domed. Not megadome, not flat top.
Current, not oop

I like the Quake a lot, but have found I do better with some dome. I like the Taurus a lot, but do better without the bead.

I am not looking to buy the one you have, but rather suggestions for what mold out there fits those parameters.

Drone is generally flat in most plastics but is a great choice.
Millennium uses the beadless Gator mold. I believe it's called the Mortar now. I think it's generally flat too but likely not always.

If they weren't so pointless, they'd be great choices to try. :\

I am familiar with many mids but not all.

I am looking to find an Overstable Mid with the following parameters.

Overstable, but not strongly overstable. Essentially a straight flight, no turn, with a solid fade.

Roughly speed 5
Beadless or a very small microbead
Mildly domed. Not megadome, not flat top.
Current, not oop

I like the Quake a lot, but have found I do better with some dome. I like the Taurus a lot, but do better without the bead.

I am not looking to buy the one you have, but rather suggestions for what mold out there fits those parameters.

Are you using a FF PL Quake? I heard the stock PL Quakes have higher shoulders and a touch of dome.

I throw M2s in that slot.
A 400G M2 will drive straight out to 350 and then, fade.

If it's not overstable enough try a 750 M1.

Gateway Demon. It is exactly how you describe. Just email or call Gateway and tell them the feel and dome you want and they will do it. But the mold is perfect for what you want.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions, I will look at them.

Of all of the ones listed,here so far the only one I have tried was the Drone. But that was a long time ago before I had the form or the distance that I have now.

So I will check them out. Thank you all for the advice!

Are you using a FF PL Quake? I heard the stock PL Quakes have higher shoulders and a touch of dome.

Yes FF PL Quake, great disc, but so flat I struggled with the grip a bit.

I will look at the stock ones. Thanks!

A beat San Marino Sentinel holds this slot in my bag. A Champion Roc3 will do a decent imitation but doesn't quite have the same glide.

QMS 1.8 or the C-Chariot fit this bill straight out of the box but will eventually lose the fade as they beat. MD3 is pretty similar but a little more squirrelly.

Srry, beadless. NM about sentinel or Roc. QMS (heavy 1.8 run is pretty stable). Chariot is the exact same disc, a little easier to find.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions, I will look at them.

Of all of the ones listed,here so far the only one I have tried was the Drone. But that was a long time ago before I had the form or the distance that I have now.

So I will check them out. Thank you all for the advice!

Yeah, the Drone would be my recommendation. If the dome thing is particularly important to you, you'll definitely want to buy in person or find an online dealer that can send you pics or something. I like a Drone with a little dome. That might also be why it has decent glide for an overstable mid. The beauty is that it has zero turn and heavy fade, but without being super dumpy (like a Buzzz OS or Gator). Big arm throwers can get pretty decent distance.

Nowadays, I rarely bag one unless I know a course has a certain hole I'll need it for, or it's really windy and I suspect I'll use it. It's a great disc, but, as others have mentioned (see this well-known thread, "Are overtable mids pointless?"), it can be a little redundant. This is especially true if you bag an overstable putter and overstable fairway (Zone and Firebird, in my case).

Yes FF PL Quake, great disc, but so flat I struggled with the grip a bit.

I will look at the stock ones. Thanks!

This is the consistent word on the DGA facebook group. I stocked up on the FF because i love the flatness.

Idk what your idea of "dome" is but they are def not as flat as the FF.

Lemme know if u have extra FF u wanna sell ;)

Mortar is a good option that hasn't been listed so far. I think it technically has a microbead but I never noticed it in hand

Overstable, slight dome, and beadless. That's the perfect description of the Vibram Launch. They feel like a slightly domed buzz and Vibram's X-link rubber is very grippy and durable. It resists scratches and deformation. They have 0 turn unlike they are advertised, but it is true. If you can get one, no more than $30-32 for a new one if you're dedicated. Good luck! A domey Caiman from innova would also be a great choice as well.

Latest posts