• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth #27523

Rick is to McBeth as Schultz was to Climo....always 2nd best =)

As Biscoe pointed out it was Stokely that was always second best having never won a Worlds or a USDGC.

Barry won Pro Worlds in 2003 AND 2004, beating Kenny both times. Barry also won the USDGC in 2001, 2003 AND 2006 beating Kenny all three times.

As Biscoe pointed out it was Stokely that was always second best having never won a Worlds or a USDGC.

Barry won Pro Worlds in 2003 AND 2004, beating Kenny both times. Barry also won the USDGC in 2001, 2003 AND 2006 beating Kenny all three times.
The timing of Barry's peak also didn't coincide with Climo's peak. Barry wasn't some World Championship Contender until after Climo's streak was coming to an end (his first top 3 being the year Climo lost to #9999).

Probably making business connections, expanding his brand, and maybe winning the European overall title IF he can win several events while there...

He set up a similar schedule last year, with June and July in Europe. Wound up playing mostly stateside when it was all over with.

He set up a similar schedule last year, with June and July in Europe. Wound up playing mostly stateside when it was all over with.

He's adding three weeks more this time in Europe this time and playing seven tournaments, six of which are part of their Pro Tour instead of the DGPT.

Last summer he was there a month and played four total tournaments. He is missing more big tournaments this year from that..... he'll miss out on the Portland Open, Dynamic Discs Open, the Des Moines Challenge and Preserve Championship.

I think it's pretty cool and a great chance to make real inroads in Europe in popularity and sales.

The timing of Barry's peak also didn't coincide with Climo's peak. Barry wasn't some World Championship Contender until after Climo's streak was coming to an end (his first top 3 being the year Climo lost to #9999).

these responses to my analogy leave me slightly confused because they reinforce exactly what I am saying...Rick's peak happened during McBeth's also (Barrys happened during the span the Climo won his)....Rick won 2 world champion ships during Mcbeths run of 6...but anyway...since we are gonna nitpick and be obtuse about the obvious similarities....during their era's both Rick and Barry were both 2nd best to the dominant player of their era...like cmon man:wall:...anyway since I already tweaked a sensitive spot:\...PMB is the greatest of all time.;)

these responses to my analogy leave me slightly confused because they reinforce exactly what I am saying...Rick's peak happened during McBeth's also (Barrys happened during the span the Climo won his)....Rick won 2 world champion ships during Mcbeths run of 6...but anyway...since we are gonna nitpick and be obtuse about the obvious similarities....during their era's both Rick and Barry were both 2nd best to the dominant player of their era...like cmon man:wall:...anyway since I already tweaked a sensitive spot:\...PMB is the greatest of all time.;)
Barry's happened AFTER other people started beating Climo.

Rick IS similar to Barry. Just not at all in the way you insinuated - the way you insinuated implies the way Stokely was the constant runner up to Climo. Really - Climo truly did not at all have a competitor in his prime like Rick, one who could actually beat him from time to time. Fact is - Barry emerged when Ken was sliding out of his prime. And no one was competition to Climo DURING his prime.

Rick is like if Barry had existed when Climo was at his peak. There's a Rick-Barry comparison but it really falls apart if you try to make them a 1:1 comp. There are similarities, but they aren't REALLY the same.

Last edited:
Barry's happened AFTER other people started beating Climo.

Rick IS similar to Barry. Just not at all in the way you insinuated - the way you insinuated implies the way Stokely was the constant runner up to Climo. Really - Climo truly did not at all have a competitor in his prime like Rick, one who could actually beat him from time to time. Fact is - Barry emerged when Ken was sliding out of his prime. And no one was competition to Climo DURING his prime.

Rick is like if Barry had existed when Climo was at his peak. There's a Rick-Barry comparison but it really falls apart if you try to make them a 1:1 comp. There are similarities, but they aren't REALLY the same.

That makes sense...you explain things very well =)

Errybody talking about Paige but Paul also not doing too much

To this point in time, hus best finishes in DGPT events or Majors has been 6th at Las Vegas Challenge, and 10th at Austin. You could definitely make the argument that his other DGPT finishes have been disappointing. He won Throw Down the Mountain, but winning A Tiers isn't really what he's chasing.

But he's still the defending MPO World's Champ, and the last time he finished worse than 2nd at World's was 2011.

I'm not handing him #7 just yet, but I have a sneaky suspicion that when the final round lead card is throwing down the hill on #18 at Fox Run Meadows, McBeth will at least be within striking distance, giving the leader a reason not to play it safe.

But with all him a Dylan Cease trying to get their new courses going, maybe those distractions will curtail his game.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
I will not start the "is Paul washed" chatter on purpose, but I did find Earhart's comments a couple weeks back about McBeth interesting:
https://youtu.be/G-_ECGJb-z0?t=3021

For one reason or another (apathy, got paid, strength of field, thinking of family, business ventures, physical, etc.), his average placement is down even compared to this time last year.

The thing that stood out to me post in Earhart's comments were about Paul's distance. A few years ago Sidewinder had speculated that McBeth's modern form - all stretched out and optimizing to throw relatively flat for power as if "over the surface of a table" as McBeth has put it - could be harder on the body in the long run. It looks it to me.

He was having all kinds of balance issues through Worlds last year. I hope we're not seeing the start of his physical edge dull on top of whatever else it may be. I really do want to see that guy at his best for years to come.

So as usual I'll never bet against McBeth. That has never been wise. But placing 20th at a Major he hasn't bagged yet seems very un-McBeth-ian to me.

Still won't be surprised in the least if the guy shows up to Worlds and stomps a hole in everyone's chest again no matter what shape he's in.

Last edited:
I think its the distractions. On top of buying the property at Throw Down the Mountain, he's focused on his Foundation, and he relocated from Virginia to Florida during the offseason. When your busy with those things, that's less time getting ready for the season, and between tournaments. I think it was Fish in last weekend's coverage who noted the missed C2 putts, that Paul normally makes. I still see the desire in Paul to pull off putts and shots that he thinks should be made, and frustration when not executed. Different than what I see in Paige that I noted in her thread. I think Paul will put in the extra time to execute those putts and shots and were likely to see great results from him again.

Seems like a fairly thoughtful person and my hunch is that it's starting to dawn on him that there are more meaningful things to devote his time and energy to. He is the GOAT and will always be a threat at big events.

I'll withhold judgement till we see some more actual disc golf courses on tour.

WR Jackson definitely not a positive outcome, curious how Jonesboro goes for him after he was undone in the playoff by a shifting teepad.

His problem is not a talent issue, it's the fact that everyone else got better. Way better. I liked him a lot and was happy to see him win. But by this time of year he has won something or at least been on a lead card at some point. Sadly, I think those days are gone.

Honestly, there was a time when other players worried about his game and when he would catch them in an event. IMO those days are over as well. Not only can he be beaten but beaten like a piñata.

This conversation happened last year, and then McBeth won world's. I'm not saying he's going to win world's, only that I'll reserve judgment for his most important tournament.

This conversation happened last year, and then McBeth won world's. I'm not saying he's going to win world's, only that I'll reserve judgment for his most important tournament.

It is possible that one day Paul McBeth will be granted an honorary registered spot in World's until the heat death of the universe.

On the night before Worlds begins each year after his demise, his casket will crack open and he will shamble his way to 1st or 2nd place before returning to his resting place.

As he lies in wait underground until the next Worlds, commentators will recycle the "is Paul washed" storyline alongside "is Paul really dead?" and "would dead Paul still need to eat?"

There has been some weirdness with the 3 round events to this point where 1 or more rounds were more affected by the weather (wind/rain/mud/cold) and left the field in a sprint the other 2 rounds to do all the scoring. Some of these events it seems McBeth has fallen behind and tried to push a bit to catch up with the final rounds which kinda skews his placings a bit as he takes a lot more risk.

McBeth has more time/opportunities with the 4 and 5 round events to flex his potential and keep in range of the leaders. Not sure what held him up at Champions Cup but the leaderboard was a shuffle of solid overall players.

I'm interested to see how he finishes in DGPT and EuroTour points. Looks like he is registered to play the minimum events needed for maximum counted results with no drops.
DGPT:
8 DGPT Elite (Ledgestone only Elite+, PCS Sula in Europe)
3 Majors (Champions Cup, European Open, Worlds)
6 DGPT Silver (5 EuroTour stops + New World Championship)
2 DGPT Playoff events (DGLO/MVP Open)

EuroTour:
7 events including European Open

Probably some benefit to getting into the top 4 for DGPT standings for the starting strokes handicapping being used for the DGPT Championship but not sure McBeth is worried if he drops to only top 10 (currently 8th).

left the field in a sprint the other 2 rounds to do all the scoring. Some of these events it seems McBeth has fallen behind and tried to push a bit to catch up with the final rounds which kinda skews his placings a bit as he takes a lot more risk.

He has a reputation for starting not tooo hot and bringing the fire in the last round.

With the field nowadays, that's just not gonna win you tournaments any more. There are so many good players and the winner will always be somebody who shoots hot from start to finish.

Latest posts