• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA WORLD'S in Charlotte 2012

We're staying in the Ramada across from Sugaw for less than $50/night with taxes (2 queen beds). It's not awesome but has interior hallways, mini fridge (if you request it), free wireless internet and free breakfast. Plus I was told the pool is actually clean and functional but we'll see in a week.

It's right near I85 and I77, so a great spot to work from, plus there is a Cook-Out within walking distance that's open til 2am :)

I eat at this Cook Out all the time. ( I dont walk there alone, but I have not had any trouble)

I saw Cabo Fish Tacos on DD&Ds last night. I'm eating there at least once. A group of us rented a house. The neighborhood looks like a golf community. The house across the street is listed as 1.32mil on Zillow.

I saw Cabo Fish Tacos on DD&Ds last night. I'm eating there at least once. A group of us rented a house. The neighborhood looks like a golf community. The house across the street is listed as 1.32mil on Zillow.

Cabo's a great place. Solid food, cool atmosphere.

An under the radar restaurant that nobody every talks about is Alexander Michaels. It's a neighborhood tavern, in an old house, just outside of downtown. They have a decent beer selection and some good food. I'm a fan of the fried pickles, London broil and bread pudding. Al Mike's is a bit smaller, so it can get crowded pretty quickly. If you're staying anywhere near downtown, it's worth checking out.

Cabo's a great place. Solid food, cool atmosphere.

An under the radar restaurant that nobody every talks about is Alexander Michaels. It's a neighborhood tavern, in an old house, just outside of downtown. They have a decent beer selection and some good food. I'm a fan of the fried pickles, London broil and bread pudding. Al Mike's is a bit smaller, so it can get crowded pretty quickly. If you're staying anywhere near downtown, it's worth checking out.

Hawthorne's Pizza (several locations across town) is another good place. The original, on the corner of 7th and Hawthorne, is the best of the locations. Decent beer selection and the best pizza in town. It's only a couple minutes from downtown.

I'm also surprised nobody has mentioned Fuel Pizza (a bunch of locations). That's another Charlotte staple.

Al Mike's is awesome -- I was going to mention that -- especially for those staying uptown.

Another place that used to be a Charlotte staple (and famous on DD&D) is The Penguin. There was a crazy ownership change, and now there are three different places: The Diamond, The Penguin, and Pinky's. Any/all are about the same are are pretty awesome. I think locals generally boycott The Penguin due to the screwing the new owners put on the past owners, or something like that. Anyway, here's one article that mentions all 3:
http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Bl...011/Fried-Pickles-Penguin-Pinky-039s-Diamond/

Now that i've dropped 40lbs to make this worlds a little easier on my old body I will be skipping the pizza and other bread like substances. Sushi, thai and vietnamese for me with some occasional seafood thrown in there. My housemates may call me antisocial but I will be okay. I promise.

Here's how the wait list will be handled on site at Player Check-In. This info is posted on the PDGA Worlds Wait List page:

As withdrawals are received, we will continue to call the first player on the waitlist for that division. We will call at least three times and if we don't get a response we will move on to the next person on the waitlist in that division. (If you receive a call, but are no longer interested in playing, please kindly give us a call back to let us know so we can move on to the next player more quickly.) We will continue this process for all withdrawals received through Saturday July 14th at 8pm ET at which time the online waitlist will no longer be used.

All withdrawals received after Saturday, July 14th at 8pm ET will only be back-filled off the Confirmed On-Site Waitlist. All players who are in Charlotte available to fill a Singles spot in Worlds, MUST see PDGA Memberships Manager, Sara Nicholson, IN PERSON at Player Check-in and fill out a Confirmed On-Site Waitlist form with their mobile number. If a spot becomes available due to a withdrawal or no-show at check-in, we will place two phone calls to the mobile number 30 minutes apart. If we get no response, we will move to the next name on the list. NOTE: You MUST be a current member AND a certified official in order to be placed on the Confirmed On-Site Waitlist.

Current wait list (as of yesterday):
http://www.pixsvr.com/pics/pdgasignup/2012/PDGA Worlds 12 - WAITLIST.pdf

Midwood Smokehouse for BBQ. Same company owns a bunch of great restaurants, Bad Daddy's burgers (also delish), Cantina 1511 (never been, but heard good things), and Mamma Ricottas. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them....

At Midwood... try th brisket! actually, get the big platter... 4 meats, 2 sides, $19. enough to share. (Unless you are Jerm)

When the pools are announced, someone needs to start a thread.

Now that i've dropped 40lbs to make this worlds a little easier on my old body I will be skipping the pizza and other bread like substances. Sushi, thai and vietnamese for me with some occasional seafood thrown in there. My housemates may call me antisocial but I will be okay. I promise.

Antisocial!

Reason I ask is b/c someone I know that lives in Charlotte said that his work is giving out tickets to Worlds and that he has seen tickets in some of the local shops up there. But maybe they are just phony bologna tickets.

pools are up, i was thinking it would be a hard ratings split that determined the pools but at least in MM1 that is not the case

Latest posts