• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA WORLD'S in Charlotte 2012

So I live nearby in Raleigh and have family in Charlotte (I actually got into disc golf playing at Kilbourne and Renaissance) I was thinking about driving down to watch the finals just to see what its like. Does anyone know what its like for spectators at an event like this? Do they have areas for people to watch, and can you go to whatever hole you want to and watch?

I think it would be cool to watch the best in the world play, but I have no idea what to expect, or even if spectators are welcome.

typically you can either find a stationary spot to watch from or follow around whatever group you want to follow

So I live nearby in Raleigh and have family in Charlotte (I actually got into disc golf playing at Kilbourne and Renaissance) I was thinking about driving down to watch the finals just to see what its like. Does anyone know what its like for spectators at an event like this? Do they have areas for people to watch, and can you go to whatever hole you want to and watch?

I think it would be cool to watch the best in the world play, but I have no idea what to expect, or even if spectators are welcome.

Spectators are welcome to attend. Just basically show up at Hornets Nest and the start watching. You can either sit at a hole or follow a group.

The semis are the same day and the pro men are at Nevin, which is right down the street. Would be a great trip!

What MTL said. . .
And, the Final Nine at Hornet's Nest will be a custom course designed with spectators in mind, incorporating some of HN's more open layout with holes added on the ballfield side of the park. There will be 25 World Titles at stake on Saturday with division semifinals beginning in the morning and going through Advanced and Open fields finals during the afternoon. If it's like last year at Rochester, the most dramatic finals are not necessarily in the top divisions, either.

Mixed Doubles registration ends in 3 hours!

I'm a female pro rated 936 / ranked 12th in the World. If there are any guys who think they're competitive in the pro division and want a partner, please let me/them know I'm looking.

facebook.com/melynda

To the lung -

I don't know the Winget/Elon/Renny area very well.
Anyone who's seen me play can agree that I drink better than I throw. Enjoy Charlotte.
If at Elon on Monday, try the Big View Dinner (spitting distance to the 2 courses); They have 20+ beers on draft and have them for $2/pint on Mondays (at least they used to) ; food is fairly predicable but OK.

In the Renny/Winget you're 3-5 miles from Macs Speed Shop (an experience); closer to Winget, you're less than a mile to Jim and Nicks (quieter but better BBQ than Macs).

Just don't do fast food!

Mixed Doubles registration ends in 3 hours!

I'm a female pro rated 936 / ranked 12th in the World. If there are any guys who think they're competitive in the pro division and want a partner, please let me/them know I'm looking.

facebook.com/melynda

id iike to play mixed doubles, however your rating is higher than mine.,.....lol

RWaters_250x208_CHAR_ON_2.gif

Dammit, I'm missing Roger Waters doing The Wall at the Time Warner Cable Arena this coming Tuesday by just 2 days... :\

I spoke with someone from the Charlotte Motor Speedway the other day and was told they have plenty of room for campers. Not sure about rates, but I think it varies as they have 462 or so sites.

RWaters_250x208_CHAR_ON_2.gif

Dammit, I'm missing Roger Waters doing The Wall at the Time Warner Cable Arena this coming Tuesday by just 2 days... :\

I saw the show in Portland and it was amazing. I would go again without question, I would skip any disc golf event to watch it again.

I spoke with someone from the Charlotte Motor Speedway the other day and was told they have plenty of room for campers. Not sure about rates, but I think it varies as they have 462 or so sites.

Have fun being around 2hrs away from winget in the morning with rush hour...

Have fun being around 2hrs away from winget in the morning with rush hour...

It wouldn't be 2 hours. It might be 75 minutes, and that's adding in an extra 30 minutes for traffic. From CMS to Winget, you'd go out 85 to 485 to 160, so you would be avoiding/going against a large part of the rush hour flow. Driving back in the afternoon might be a different story.

It wouldn't be 2 hours. It might be 75 minutes, and that's adding in an extra 30 minutes for traffic. From CMS to Winget, you'd go out 85 to 485 to 160, so you would be avoiding/going against a large part of the rush hour flow. Driving back in the afternoon might be a different story.

that was my point. It really sounds like no fun and I'm sure you can find camping in SC much closer to everything

Camping in the SE in summer sounds like no fun to me in any circumstance, period. Super hot and muggy is not restful and will not be conducive for a fun week....or a high-performance week either.

We're staying in the Ramada across from Sugaw for less than $50/night with taxes (2 queen beds). It's not awesome but has interior hallways, mini fridge (if you request it), free wireless internet and free breakfast. Plus I was told the pool is actually clean and functional but we'll see in a week.

It's right near I85 and I77, so a great spot to work from, plus there is a Cook-Out within walking distance that's open til 2am :)

We're staying in the Ramada across from Sugaw for less than $50/night with taxes (2 queen beds). It's not awesome but has interior hallways, mini fridge (if you request it), free wireless internet and free breakfast. Plus I was told the pool is actually clean and functional but we'll see in a week.

It's right near I85 and I77, so a great spot to work from, plus there is a Cook-Out within walking distance that's open til 2am :)

good luck!

My recommendation is, don't eat at that cook out.