• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phone Number on Disc

I returned the first disc I have found since moving to AZ. Found it at a little pitch and putt course I was at with my 10 year old. It had a phone #, but it looked like the person that wrote it had Epilespy. It took me a good hour to decode the number. Finally got a hold of the guy. It was his ONLY Ace disc that he had lost in Water at a different course over a year ago. He was Super Stoked. I mailed it to him and he sent me pics of it on a stand on his desk at work. He was so happy I called, he sent me a brand new DD Felon for my trouble. Told him it wasn't necessary, but he wouldn't take no for answer... Happy Day all around. :)

I could see if it was a sharpie dot on the nipple, but the guy put his PDGA number on it, so obviously he wants it to be identified as his, but then didn't make contacting him easy.

Don't the discs have to be uniquely identified? Your PDGA number is going to be yours and only yours, so it makes identifying your disc pretty easy

Yes, they do need to be uniquely marked, but it does not have to be anything that could be used to identify the owner. I don't mark hand dyed discs for this reason.

a8fd16aa9100055365ff4c9574957bce9ea8bb88203de2f644d68282c4a999f1.jpg

Hilarious picture!

That is an easy one. If they can't take an extra 10 seconds to write a phone # then there is no reason for you to spend any extra time trying to track them down. And not writing contact info is basically the same as saying you don't want/expect the disc back.

seriously. no number equals i'm leaving it in the next basket. i would absolutely not track someone down by pdga number or anything like that.

We all like to pat ourselves on the back about returning discs. My experience tells me that is far from the case, and the number of used discs at PIAS with names/numbers in it tells me the same story. It's BS. I'd estimate less than 10% of all (marked) found disc owners are contacted. Seriously, most of them end up right at the trade in counter 20 minutes after the round.

I've been playing this game for over 15 yrs, and lost at least 2 dozen discs during that time. With my name/number clearly written on them.

I have never, not once, not EVER received a phone call about a found disc. NEVER.

I stopped writing my name in them. What's the point? Just makes them look ugly and sucks for the next guy you trade or sell it to. You'll never get it back anyway.

I have never, not once, not EVER received a phone call about a found disc. NEVER.

Don't loose hope! I've returned a few, and was beginning to wonder whether I'd ever get a call about one of mine. During my most recent round I lost a disc, and a group playing a few holes back called me to let me know they found it. It was just a beat up Valkyrie, and I wouldn't have missed it much, but it was still good to get the call. Even better, they were regulars at the course, and were kind enough to play the rest of the round with me.

I have only received a couple of calls(from individuals) but if it is a disc lost at a course that doesn't have a drop off bin I don't expect to get it back. Most of the courses in KC have them though and people are usually pretty good about putting discs in them. I don't know how many other areas have disc drops but it seems to work here at least.

I'm losing faith in the Charlotte area players, or general disc golf course clientele. I've lost 3 since I've moved here and haven't heard from them since.

North Florida, where I moved from, was great about returning discs. I can only think of one disc that I've lost there and not been contacted about

That why I don't bother putting my name/number on disks. If I throw it bad enough to loose it then I loose it. Part of the game to me.

At Sugaw creek I put one into the road on 17 and someone jump out of there car. Picked up my disk. Saw me and the rest of my card waving at them to throw it back. Laughed at us and took off :\:thmbdown:

Seems to me I used to get called about lost discs quite regularly when I started. But I haven't gotten a call about lost discs in a few years now. No matter, I still put my name and number on. And I still call when I find one. Unfortunately the last several discs I've found I was never able get in touch with the owner either a bad number, or they didn't care enough to call back.

I have far too many discs that I've bought over the years sitting in my basement collecting dust. Now I've got more.

If you're going to lose a disc in my area and not return my calls at least have the common courtesy to leave behind something I throw!

What's funny is that you can put your cell phone number (well, any number) in your PDGA profile page.

Where do you see someones phone number when you search for them by pdga number? I have my number entered on my pdga profile but couldn't find it when I viewed my player page.

We all like to pat ourselves on the back about returning discs. My experience tells me that is far from the case, and the number of used discs at PIAS with names/numbers in it tells me the same story. It's BS. I'd estimate less than 10% of all (marked) found disc owners are contacted. Seriously, most of them end up right at the trade in counter 20 minutes after the round.

I've been playing this game for over 15 yrs, and lost at least 2 dozen discs during that time. With my name/number clearly written on them.

I stopped writing my name in them. What's the point? Just makes them look ugly and sucks for the next guy you trade or sell it to. You'll never get it back anyway.

I hear ya, I don't write my own number on discs. However, don't let the majority of dickheads change your attitude. You're right, everyone I talk to claims to be the type that would return the disc, but I hear from a lot of people, like you, that claim they never get the call. It is probably the more casual players that steal while the more serious folks, the people like us on this website, who understand the importance of a disc, and will return it.

This coming from someone who had my soldier cooler, wallet, and 16 discs stolen at my local course.

So, I sometimes assume the majority of people playing are dickheads. Still, I continue to act as I want to be acted upon: Return discs, mail discs back to people, and do my part. I didn't let my experience jade me. It's nice when someone gets their "favorite" disc back :clap:

It is probably the more casual players that steal while the more serious folks, the people like us on this website, who understand the importance of a disc, and will return it.

I think this is probably the closest reason given as to why folks aren't getting their discs back. And given the steady growth of the sport, they're are more casuals than DGCR types out there.

I'll admit it; when I first started and I was only playing with a shark and a Wraith and no idea this sight existed and how important disc are to us, I found an ESP Surge with a name an number on it and my first thought was "yeah right, like I'm going to call you". On the plus side, I lost it the next day on the same course (different hole) and maybe someone more gracious than I was at the time did call the owner.

For what it's worth, I don't put my name on discs. If it's gone, it's gone and I don't have to get all worked up wonder if I'll ever get a call.

I found a dx dragon on my local course once. Flipped it over and it had a number. I called it, more out of curiosity than anything as there isn't so much as a puddle on the course for that disc to float in.

It ended up belonging to a 10 year old girl who had lost it playing with her family the previous day. When her dad told her someone had found it I could hear her getting all excited in the background of the phone conversation, and the whole family drove to the course to pick it up and I was able to give them some extra discs I had in the car to use next time they played.

I'll always try to find the owner of a lost disc, you never know how happy someone may be to get it back.

No contact info on your means its mine! I have returned disk that were freshly lost,like the owner was on the nest hole. Most if not all DGer's have a cell phone. I call when I find the disk most of the time the loser is still at the course. No phone number no call and I am not a member of the DGPA so that number is useless to me.
Lives in WI.

I found a dx dragon on my local course once. Flipped it over and it had a number. I called it, more out of curiosity than anything as there isn't so much as a puddle on the course for that disc to float in.

It ended up belonging to a 10 year old girl who had lost it playing with her family the previous day. When her dad told her someone had found it I could hear her getting all excited in the background of the phone conversation, and the whole family drove to the course to pick it up and I was able to give them some extra discs I had in the car to use next time they played.

I'll always try to find the owner of a lost disc, you never know how happy someone may be to get it back.
Formerly lived in WI.
Enuff said.

That is a good story :thmbup::thmbup:

I hear ya, I don't write my own number on discs. However, don't let the majority of dickheads change your attitude. You're right, everyone I talk to claims to be the type that would return the disc, but I hear from a lot of people, like you, that claim they never get the call. It is probably the more casual players that steal while the more serious folks, the people like us on this website, who understand the importance of a disc, and will return it.

This coming from someone who had my soldier cooler, wallet, and 16 discs stolen at my local course.

So, I sometimes assume the majority of people playing are dickheads. Still, I continue to act as I want to be acted upon: Return discs, mail discs back to people, and do my part. I didn't let my experience jade me. It's nice when someone gets their "favorite" disc back :clap:

Most discs aren't that valuable. I'm willing to make the effort to return a lost one but if the majority of players are not, what's the point? In the end, it's just not worth it. These aren't car keys.

Latest posts