• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Planning my 2014 tourney schedule

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
What events do you think I should try to play in this year? When and where will they be?

For now I'm looking at OH, MI, PA, KY, SC and NC. Other states are a possibility but those are the states I'm most inclined to travel to.

Your inbox is full homey.

I tried to PM you this info- but I'll throw it out there. (couch/horse pasture offer extends to most anyone :) )

April 5th and 6th. Two C-tiers back to back at our local courses, Ditto Farms and Whispering Falls. Lunch provided both days. You can sleep on my couch. Or camp in my grandmother's horse pasture. Both attractive offers, I know. But really- quality challenging courses, good food, good people, and always a good time. If you want more info let me know.

might still be a lil early yet for planning. usually a better scope of the tournaments available begin to shape in late Jan to Feb.

is this your first tournament season?

PFDO fo sho.

Brent Hambrick

Homie?

I don't know much about that area...

Are you looking to head south for the colder months? If so, Earlewood Classic in Columbia, SC is a good one, Carolina Clash in Charlotte, Mountain Disc Golf Experience in Asheville to name a few.

.....and the Charleston Classic in December, which is usually warm.

You should come to eastern PA the first week of June. The inbounds Open (B-Tier) is on Saturday 6/7 at Jordan Creek (last year Brinster and Schwebby tied and had a three hole shootout) and the Tinicum Open (Pro C/Am B) is on Sunday 6/8. Back-to-back events with a solid field of players.

might still be a lil early yet for planning. usually a better scope of the tournaments available begin to shape in late Jan to Feb.

is this your first tournament season?

Yep. So I'm not totally sure which events I need to qualify for, and which I can just sign up for and play. I know the BHMO and PFDO are two fairly big events that are held nearby, and I'd love to throw USDGC at Winthrop in 2014 but don't know much about qualifying for that either.

There are very few tournaments that you have to qualify for. There are some that you have to sign up quickly for, though.

It's unusual for someone to dive into the tournament waters, spread over such a huge area. Most people start with local events---that is, within 100 miles or so of home, where they can drive in the morning of the event---before hitting the road. Just curious: what has inspired you to be so geographically ambitious, and to choose that not-quite-contiguous string of states?

And.....

What kind of tournaments are you looking for? Best courses? Biggest fields? Coolest ambience?

Toughest competition and the biggest, best courses.

I'm in the mood to travel and play some new courses too. Good excuse to head out for a weekend.

I'd also like to play at least one tournament in 2014 where the best in the world will also be playing, just to see how I stack up against them throwing the same course on the same day.

I believe that there will be no PFDO this year--- at least that is what I heard.

The RFDO in Rochester, NY will be a NT event and most likely quite awesome.

Come to Toronto Island for an A-Tier early Sept. There's usually a few top pros that make the hop across the border, and I'd guess we'll see more than usual this year with the RFDO & BHMO around the same time. Toronto Island is the oldest, most beautiful course in Ontario and in the most unique location. Anyone that's played it will tell you it's a must-play course.

Well, I'll throw the Charleston Classic back in, though it's about as far away in your list of states as you can get. It's an A-tier with 180 players and some pretty top-level talent; played on very good courses; and at a time of year when the season up north is winding down.

Beyond that, in the Carolinas section, I'd keep an eye on Charlotte. Not sure what exactly is going on their this year, but there's bound to be a big B-tier on a top-notch course, with top-notch competition, at some point.

Hey Mike,

I know Massachusetts isn't on your list, but I'd love to see you at the Maple Hill Open (formerly the Vibram Open) over fourth of July weekend (3rd-6th). Looking to play against the best of the best? They'll all be there.

Maple Hill is an unbelievable course. Gorgeous, really. I went and spectated this past year... always gets a great turnout. Also, I hear there are some pretty awesome events for players.

Steve Dodge knows how to run a tourney. You wouldn't be disappointed :)

Yep. So I'm not totally sure which events I need to qualify for, and which I can just sign up for and play. I know the BHMO and PFDO are two fairly big events that are held nearby, and I'd love to throw USDGC at Winthrop in 2014 but don't know much about qualifying for that either.
Most tournaments do not have qualifiers. Usually the only ones with qualifiers are Series End tournaments in the Fall. Vibram and USDGC are both qualifier tournaments, but you can qualify during the same year as the event. Vibram will release a set of tournaments that you can qualify for their event, I think its $10 to get into that pool at a given tournament. USDGC there are a few different ways.
Maple Hill Open (formerly the Vibram Open) over fourth of July weekend (3rd-6th). Looking to play against the best of the best? They'll all be there.

^^^gotta qualify.
not for the Maple Hill Open

Toughest competition and the biggest, best courses.

I'm in the mood to travel and play some new courses too. Good excuse to head out for a weekend.

I'd also like to play at least one tournament in 2014 where the best in the world will also be playing, just to see how I stack up against them throwing the same course on the same day.

if I may make a suggestion, your first tournament or two stay local. tournament play is different from all others. it will just be good to figure out were you want to be mentally for competition.
otherwise play A-tiers and multi-day tournaments. they are so much more fun and typically the courses are better.
Ones I would personally love to attend near you are BHMO, PFDO, E.C. Yetter, C. Vittiner, and GLO...those have been on my list for years.