• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post your most recent Disc Golf injuries!

DiscChainBasket18

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I've recently been injuring myself a lot. It's like I'm accident prone all of a sudden & I'm not digging it at all!
But who doesnt like to talk about their injuries & how bad off they are LOL? It's almost like bragging! But when an injury messes with my disc golf game? Arggg! :mad:
Please post pictures or stories (tall tales? LOL) of your most recent injuries related to disc golf. I'll start it off with my latest annoyance. It's called Mallet finger:
malletfinger_zps0c9ff756.jpg

080113malletfinger_zpsbd39d7fe.jpg

This injury happened during a local doubles tourney at Timmons Park in Greenville. I threw my putter across the creek & OB on hole 2. As I was climbing down the muddy bank of the creek I slipped. I put my hand out to brace my fall & caught a root with my finger & jammed it! This particular injury takes 8 weeks to heal & you have to splint the finger out straight & hold it there the whole time! If you accidently let the finger droop you start the 8 weeks over again. :wall:
Strangely I am still able to throw with this goofy splint on my finger (yes the injury is on my throwing hand)! I have to use a modified fan grip (LOL) but my golf game has not suffered much. I can still throw about 95% of what I was able to do before the injury.
I've also got a lot of deep scratches (& scars from same) on my arms & lower legs from thorn bushes, etc whilst looking for wayward throws but who wants to hear about that? LOL
:popcorn:

Not really an injury, but I could post a pic of the poison ivy all over my legs right now...

But I wont... because... it's gross.

:sick:

Ouch! That looks painful and gross. Sorry to read about your finger, I know how much I value my hands and I never want to hurt them.

My only injuries sustained during disc golf have pretty much been walking through thorn bushes trying to get a disc out of the woods. Lots of scratches and cuts, that's about it.

Actually my brother hit me in the head with a putter while practicing before our last round. I walked right into it from behind a tree.

A few weeks ago I was in the dense foliage on the right side of Stoney Hill #2. Again. My only out was a big, high backhand anhyzer, thrown as hard as I can to get around the corner and up the hill.

What I didn't see, in all the thick leafy foliage, was a tree. So I karate-chopped it, full speed just inches after my release.

In seconds a spot the size of a half-dollar swoll up. Within 30 seconds, my hand had about doubled in size, giving me an excuse for the missed putt.

Luckily it didn't seem to be broken. Ice and painkillers and most of the swelling went down in a week, though there's a permanent bump under the skin on that side of my hand.

BEES.....God dang BEES. Apparently if you go walking around on their home, they get all pissy.

This summer I've dealt with turf toe, primarily. A couple of times its flaired up thanks to rainy day tournament golf. The all-day-in-the-rain thing tends to activate it, royal pain in the ass. I thought I'd broken the damn thing when it happened at DGLO, totally new to me. Apparently its more painful than a break - and more long term in terms of reoccurring. Wish I'd broken the damn thing. :p

Other than that just the usual back soreness and blisters.

Early this year I threw my Banshee over a small cliff at Estabrook Park on hole 12. As I was coming back out I was pulling myself up and I slipped and all my weight pulled on my left shoulder. Haven't been able to throw hammers since. Forehand is a little sketchy, too.

I frickin turn one of my ankles all the bleeping time!!!!!! Other than that...knock on wood all is well. ;)

Won't let me post a picture from my phone but a few weeks back I tripped on a root and basically ate a curb. My left arm had road rash from my wrist up past my elbow. Fortunately I was hold a disc in my right hand so I didn't tear that up

I'm sitting at the MRI office as I type this waiting for my knee to get looked at for a possible MCL tear from disc golfing.

Not so much injuries as aches/pains of age (I hope.)

Left achilles, right wrist. Not good for a RHBH.

The wrist is wierd. Doesn't hurt when I play. My hope is that it's mouse wrist, and that DG plays the role of PT on it.

The achilles is troubling. Had trouble with it in the Army, and seems to be the same thing flaring up now. Rested it (didn't play) for close to 3 weeks after the CAC (June), and it's no better. Ibuprophrin/ice. Mostly I can just deal, but I hope it's not, like, a partial tear, where it'll snap at some point. Thinking about that makes me nauseous. nauseus. sick to my stomach.

There seemed to be an epidemic of torn meniscus last year in our neck of the woods. There were 3 of us (all over 40) who play regularly that had torn theirs...myself included.

Stubbed my toe on my car as I was changing before playing a round right after work. Didn't think anything of it, played 27 holes, came home and took my shoes off to find my toe swollen and the color of a plum.
Fast forward to this morning: I almost died putting my steel toes on over my swollen toe. Hence why I'm posting on DGCR instead of getting work done...

I bruised the arch of my foot wading/slipping around on slimy rocks retrieving a disc. Gashed my wrist on the same episode.

There seemed to be an epidemic of torn meniscus last year in our neck of the woods. There were 3 of us (all over 40) who play regularly that had torn theirs...myself included.

For one of those three it wasn't exactly DG injury---he fell off his bicycle. Just a DG-impairing injury. I've sworn myself to secrecy not to reveal my name. I mean, his name.

All I can say is, it's a good thing the O.P. framed this as the most recent disc golf injury. Otherwise, I'd be PMing Tim to double-check the server space.

The achilles is troubling. Had trouble with it in the Army, and seems to be the same thing flaring up now. Rested it (didn't play) for close to 3 weeks after the CAC (June), and it's no better. Ibuprophrin/ice. Mostly I can just deal, but I hope it's not, like, a partial tear, where it'll snap at some point. Thinking about that makes me nauseous. nauseus. sick to my stomach.

Ah man, sorry to hear this. I'm guessing a heavy dose of stretching before and after playing will help? I know the biggest mistake I make is not warming up my joints, tendons, etc, etc, before AND after I play. Go into this game cold, and you're asking for trouble.

hmm.. but to be honest....thinking back to the past 2 years since I started playing, I do find that with better form (mainly on the release) the less pain, problems I'm having when playing. Not having to throw at 100% all the time has really helped. And I can only attribute this to having better form when throwing. Man...I used to have such sore elbows the first year of playing.. wow..that stuff was painful.

For a couple months now my right shoulder has been bothering me. Right in the join towards the front side. I believe this to be due to the fact of my improper throwing technique so I had done research and started throwing better and at this time my shoulder started feeling better, but now my muscles all around my arm and shoulder (not the joints) were starting to ache. I believed this to be good, that I was using the correct muscles and following through now. But still after some days I get the same excrutiating pain back in my shoulder joint, and i mean if I lift and twist my arm starts throbbing bad and its almost unbearable at times. Pretty much its going back and forth from my shoulder hurting a LOT or my arm muscles being sore and "worked".

Latest posts