• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc Thread v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uli shared a facebook status from someone who had thrown at least the D3 and D4. The "tester" mentioned "the plastic is amazing and they come off the fingertips so smooth due to the rounded edge underneath".

Not to say that this isn't true, but the "tester" that you mention says a lot of things; about half of which can actually be believed. For instance, he mentioned that "it goes 500' easy"........he doesn't throw 500' or even close.

I dig the rounded edges underneath. But that's a personal thing because I had broken both my wrists when I was younger and so I have far less strength and snap in my 'hit' than I would like. The rounded edge gives me a little extra.

Rounded edge can make a difference. It increases air flow so by theory it should help the disc fly farther. Of course it would depend how different the edge is compared to the existing discs on the market.

I've got a few questions regarding that. I've always been kind of interested in the technology side of the disc making business. What is the cost difference on that as compared to what is currently the standard procedure for molding? Is it possible for Innova/Discraft/Any company to upgrade current machinery to do this? If so, what would be the cost per machine? And would this process make the molding process longer or about the same?

I would estimate that it would cost about $30k out the door to retrofit a particular brand of the scientific molding technolgy to a machine. However, once on a machine, it is useful for all molds. You could go even further and add cavity pressure sensing to ensure that you are getting a near identical cycle from shot to shot. Usually this is done by utilizing an ejector pin and placing the pressure sensor behind it. However, most current manufacturers don't use ejector pins (I believe they are using a stripper ring or stripper plate). If you look at the flight plate of a MVP disc, you may be able to see witness lines of circles. These could be left from a number of things, or they could be using sensors in their mold, but that is pure guessing. None of these additions to the process would increase the cycle time. The major benefit you receive is a very consistent finished product. Another benefit is the ability to detect short shots, so you now avoid discs with sinks in the rim. Most of the "junk" that you see embedded in Innova's champion plastic is most likely char. This can be eliminated by properly purging the material or cleaning the barrel of the injection unit.

Think about the possibilities if these players are in on the production. no more asking for existing molds or tweaks or diff plastics. these dudes (and gals) can literally create the disc they want. they are owners in the biz. thats a unique opportunity.

Of the 3 different types of plastic I've seen and felt from Prodigy, I would pay $25-$30 per disc for the older of the 3 plastics. It really would be worth it. It truly is close enough to CE and it has the durability I would want in my bag. Something tells me that it maybe down the road before we see that plastic at that type of price premium it in full production. It would be a niche market.

The other 2 still feel better than any Champ/Star on the market and I would be fine paying $20 per disc. This is all assuming they quality stays the same. I don't have any insight on that and can only hope the quality of the plastic doesn't get hurt after a full ramp up of production starts.

-Chris

Of the 3 different types of plastic I've seen and felt from Prodigy, I would pay $25-$30 per disc for the older of the 3 plastics. It really would be worth it. It truly is close enough to CE and it has the durability I would want in my bag. Something tells me that it maybe down the road before we see that plastic at that type of price premium it in full production. It would be a niche market.

The other 2 still feel better than any Champ/Star on the market and I would be fine paying $20 per disc. This is all assuming they quality stays the same. I don't have any insight on that and can only hope the quality of the plastic doesn't get hurt after a full ramp up of production starts.

-Chris

read: "buy a bunch of first runs"

-Chris

Easy tiger, don't give them any ideas.

-Chris

Those prices would remove them from "impulse buy" territory into the realm of "carefully weighed purchase."

so they have bottom rims like the Riot? That disc was fun to throw and easy to get distance with but it would have the occasional early slip.

$30 would be a little high for me, but, if the quality or performance was what i wanted, I would pay it. Its roughly 2x what i pay for a new disc and if it lasts twice as long or throws exactly how I want i could justify it. But, thats a lot of "if's"

read: "buy a bunch of first runs"

Haha! I've got $$ put aside. :)

With the disc's being quality controlled by some of the best players in the world, It would be hard for me to believe they would loose sight of quality over quantity. You gotta know the pressure is huge to put as many disc's to market as they can as quickly as possible. It makes me happy to see how slow they are taking the release's to insure a quality product.

Hammer: Full Disclosure is the way to go! I'm not blinded by my bias, I just know what type of quality they are capable of and have been impatiently waiting for a long time now.

-Chris

$30 would be a little high for me, but, if the quality or performance was what i wanted, I would pay it. Its roughly 2x what i pay for a new disc and if it lasts twice as long or throws exactly how I want i could justify it. But, thats a lot of "if's"

^^^This

With two kids, $$$ is always tight.

A lot of ifs indeed.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet. Did Phil discuss how much time and effort would be put into producing a consistent product?

This bottom rim talk is scary. So is it like a +mold type thing? Does anybody have first hand experience with it?

If its something that can't be discussed yet by people in the know, "I can't talk about it yet" is also an acceptable answer :thmbup:

This bottom rim talk is scary. So is it like a +mold type thing? Does anybody have first hand experience with it?

If its something that can't be discussed yet by people in the know, "I can't talk about it yet" is also an acceptable answer :thmbup:

Yes, but I didn't notice anything different about the rims. At the time I hadn't heard about this "early release tech", so I wasn't really paying that much attention. I'll probably be seeing these things again this afternoon, so I'll check it out.

I can't talk about it yet.

Because I am not in the know and have never touched a Prodigy disc (minus an old "Firestarter" single in the 90s).

Status
Not open for further replies.