• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Public Perception of Disc Golf

Public Perception of Disc Golf= ?confused blank stare?

I generally don't bring it up if I don't have to...even saying things like "I'm going somewhere to do something until later".....maybe thats why the public thinks disc golf is so shady
I'm going to strangle a hitch hiker or 2, I'll catch up with you guys later.;)

Here's a more interesting thought to consider:

Will Disc Golf grow up "clean" in other areas of the world without the historical ties that the sport has had here in North America? (is that happening now?)

Will (or does) Nordic disc golf inherently have a better shot at reaching what most of us espouse as our goals of legitimizing the sport? Or in New Zealand,continental Europe, South America, Asia/Japan?

OR, does the sport inherrantly draw in participants who will, on their own, without local/historical existing DG culture be drawn to the same end traits? is it because people that are drawn to DG are also often drawn to x,y,z, etc..?

Or is it fated because of the appeal (or accessibility) to a lower socioeconomic group? (cost of participation factors?)

If Disc golf started gaining traction in a remote location without historical ties, and there was a high cost to participate... would things be vastly different? or much the same?

Royal Hill= Aristotle

I do not know the whole DG culture in Europe, but you pose some very intriguing questions.

People care about this sort of thing? Are you here to worry about what people who, don't play disc golf, cares about disc golf, or are we here to play disc golf?

The general reaction I get when I bring up disc golf to someone that knows nothing about it is simply "huh, never heard of it." Most people don't know or care enough to form any real stereotypes. The people that stereotype disc golfers the most are disc golfers themselves.

I find it interesting that, in the minds of many non-players, the alleged presence of controlled substances on the disc golf course is dispositive as to the character of the sport's participants. The same logic is suspended for traditional ball golfers. Look at the coolers on the carts at any course in the country and alcohol will feature prominently in beverage selection. Further, you have guys like John Daly on the tour. But, when someone professes their love for the game of ball golf, the admission is never followed by an assumption of alcoholism. I understand that the long history of ball golf and the acceptance of the game in society at large plays a role, but to me it is an interesting difference in public perception.

Let's not get our panties in a bunch so much and get so defensive. It wasn't that long ago when our sport was really in the closet. Now we've gotten some notoriety, albeit not flattering. So what? We all started playing because it was so effing cool whatever walk of life we came from. It was something new, different, fun... FUN, remember fun? If you are pissed about it, then try to do something, but not get angry. Get your local media involved. Get your local elected officials come out. Invite them to grandstand a little bit while being the guy who gets the whole thing started. Lot's of voters there.

No wait, there's scores of guys and gals smoking out in the parking lot! There's lots of guys and gals drinking alcoholic beverages at 8am! Metal, Electronic & the good old Grateful Dead is playing loudly in the lot! Hmmm...

Lighten up Francis, or Frances.

I'm not saying everyone is toking and drinking and fooling around, but you can't deny that they're out there. If you want it serious, then take it serious. Enforce a mode of decorum. You probably will force the hardcores into the woods, but they'll still be lurking about. Take an honest look at the percentages.

Also we need to do some leg work. Take a lesson from Skateboarding if you will. Any 50 something will tell you those guys had pretty much the same stereotype not all that long ago. Now look where the X-Games are. But they had to work hard at it. Those of you so interested in changing the perception. Do it.

But in the meantime, until the PDGA, or whoever, steps up to the plate to get serious, then just chill out.

Just my 2 cents.

Guy1:

I play disc golf

Guy2:

Do what?

Guy1:

I also wear women's panties and slaughter goats with sporks from KFC and roll around until my lingerie is all bloody and moist and then I pleasure myself

Guy2:

Kinda wierd man....uh....I gotta go....

That is how on the radar we are.

Really Jrawk?

You just spent the last weekend, camping in a cow pasture, share communal meals, sat around a campfire at night drinking beers, and some (not going to name names) when swimming in creeks. If it were 1969 I would say we were at Woodstock!

BTW - I had a great time!!!!!!

frisbies-pies-original-frisbee.png

+

hippie.jpg

+

24yn72a.jpg

+

58132_476457124065_179691904065_6697682_4547846_n.jpg
=

The public perception of Disc Golf

Royal Hill= Aristotle

I do not know the whole DG culture in Europe, but you pose some very intriguing questions.

Having played a few tournaments in Germany, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on how they feel about it.

I feel like there's also a very slight "hippyness" to it, but it's not as bad as it is in USA. I'd say over half the people here smoke during tournaments and, to me, that's a little disappointing.

The thing is, no one here knows about disc golf. In USA, I'd say about 2/3 of people have at least heard of 'frisbee golf'. In Germany, when I explained to someone that I played disc golf, they asked "What is disco golf? Like...golfing while dancing?".

But I've been doing field practice in fields and I've had people who would approach me and be totally interested. I'd explain it to them and they'd be super interested and ask me where they could play it, but Germany doesn't have nearly as many courses as USA (I think USA has 100 times more courses or so). There's been times where 10 or so people would just sit on a bench and watch me throw and be completely blown away. This sport is so new! I love spreading the fun!

1.) to the comparisons of how skateboarding blew up and how we should go about it the same way - Skateboarding is a "sport" that was/is largely done within view of the public - whether it be street skating, or at a skate park, it is done where a majority of society can easily see it happening, and therefore it garners a certain amount of interest. Also, skateboarding is perceived as a "cultural lifestyle," so it affects a broader area of mainstream society for major companies, i.e. clothing, shoes, backpacks, hats, videos, stickers/novelty items, etc. It has more marketing appeal for major companies to be able to profit off said "lifestyle."

Whereas disc golf is largely hidden from public view, doesn't truely reserve the label of "cultural lifestyle," due to its inability to directly affect everyday norms, such as, "what sweet DG shirt/pants/shoes am I going to wear today while NOT DGing?" like skateboarding does. As well as its inability to produce novelty items that are almost guarnteed to sell due to there association with the "sport." (walk into a Zumiez skate shop and look at all the crap items they sell that really have NOTHING to do with actually skateboarding.)

BUT, this can change if we are able to put on events that increase our exposure to more people, such as the Urban Skins events, or to go as far as say, attempting to rent a regular ball golf course and put up a temporary 18 and hold a tourney there where it's easier/more likely to have people follow.

Side-note - My relatives live in Rome, NY where every summer they hold the "World Series of Bocce," which attracts tons of media coverage largely due to the fact that its being played in the middle of a public space where people who don't play have the ability to easily go and watch.

I think public perception is that it is a game on the same level as bocce, darts, horseshoes, jarts, corn hole or any other type of yard game people do for fun. So you take the public perception of something that is generally perceived as something you do to pass time and then spin off the fact that you have people that are absolutely nuts about it with collections of plastic that exceed the amount of sports equipment a major league baseball player probably has and yeah it's a perfect situation for comedy. Right along the same lines as Dodgeball and Balls of Fury.

A couple months ago, I talked to one of my POs about my business dyeing discs. He said he had heard of the game, and admitted to having played it a couple times, and that it was fun. I thought that was something, especially since he hasn't made me pee in the cup after that conversation.
But yeah, the public image of disc golf is that we are a bunch of stoner hippies and are not to be taken seriously. I thought that was the appeal of the sport. Why else would manufacturers put out special, tie-dyed discs, and courses be put in the back corners of parks?

I hate hippies. They don't shower. They are slow. And one thing I hate is walking the course at a snails pace, hearing stories about how messed up they are right now and what an awesome time they had getting baked in the woods on hole #x. All that being said, I'm going camping this weekend at a disc golf tourney/music jam and I am extremely excited for the adventure. Hello, my name is Greg, and I am a disc golf addict.

I hate hippies. They don't shower. They are slow. And one thing I hate is walking the course at a snails pace, hearing stories about how messed up they are right now and what an awesome time they had getting baked in the woods on hole #x. All that being said, I'm going camping this weekend at a disc golf tourney/music jam and I am extremely excited for the adventure. Hello, my name is Greg, and I am a hippie.

ftfy