• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pueblo City Park Vandalized

LeewayeDiscGolf

Double Eagle Member
My son and I were out playing a fairly good round at Pueblo City Park, CO. We were playing behind a couple of huge groups. As we get to the 12th hole, we wait while a few groups play it. Then the group in front of us plays the hole. You can't quite see the basket from the tee at this particular placement. We hear a huge crashing sound. The group then tees off of #13 and walks off. We tee off, start to walk to our discs and my son points to the basket. This is when I discover that the previous group tore the basket, collar, still locked, and concrete right outta the ground and left it laying on the hill. At this point the group was taking off to their cars, which thanks to text messaging, my wife was able to get license numbers from. My son and I then quit our round and went in search of the park manager. We gave him all the info. we had and luckily there are numerous basket placements. So the basket made it through the night without getting stolen, and once someone with a key showed up, was safely moved to another placement.
Anyone else actually witness someone destroying your course? How did you handle it? Etc?

Attachments

• Hole 12 tee.jpg
    Hole 12 tee.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Hole 12 2.jpg
    Hole 12 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Hole 12.jpg
    Hole 12.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 179
those pictures are pretty depressing to see. someone stole basket #14 from my home course back in 2008, and local pros + leagues had to chip in together to buy a new basket for that hole.

There is a basket missing from a course in springfield mo. Been gone for a year now every one just play to one of the other baskets since its a wide open course, but it gets interesting if the course is busy

Good job Leeway!!!

Any word on if the cops followed up on it?

There's just no excuse for that kind of behavior. None whatsoever. I would probably have puffed up my chest and growled at those kids and that ain't internet tough guy talk either.

There's just no excuse for that kind of behavior. None whatsoever. I would probably have puffed up my chest and growled at those kids and that ain't internet tough guy talk either.

Believe me I was ready to do just that! But I'm an adult now. :p They were all at least 20 years old if not older. Just ridiculous what people will mess up.

no no, that's what tasers and small caliber weapons are for.

a nice CB .22 in the leg sends a clear message.

(and the CB's are quiet enough to not get traced too)

In the name of pseudovigilantiism, I would've quit my round, beat those guys back to the parking lot, photographed their license plate (and the entire car with plenty of the surrounding scenery to prove the car was actually in THAT particular location at that time) -- which might have actually required waiting for them to get back, depending on if there was only one other car in the lot or if this was a really popular course -- and then called the cops.

no no, that's what tasers and small caliber weapons are for.

a nice CB .22 in the leg sends a clear message.

(and the CB's are quiet enough to not get traced too)

Now I would never advocate violence, *looks around for authority types* but these bad boys would scare the p!$$ out of anyone who knew better and would conveniently fit in any DG bag.

telescoping%20steel%20baton.JPG

Yeah, expandable batons are the shat.... first you gotta mace 'em though so they cant see who is beating them within' an inch of their lives.

Yeah, expandable batons are the shat.... first you gotta mace 'em though so they cant see who is beating them within' an inch of their lives.

Jukeshoe: <---Makes mental note: Do NOT play DG in North Carolina.

It amazes me that someone would damage something they use.
When its something that said vandal has easy (dare I say "free") access to, that someone else paid for, both in money and sweat equity, this sort of behavior doesn't amaze me at all. Hence my comments from the other recent vandalism case being discussed.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18784

Leeway, I hope you get these nimrods prosecuted. I am rather stunned some of these idiots are so brazen to do this sort of thing in broad daylight when others are watching.

When its something that said vandal has easy (dare I say "free") access to, that someone else paid for, both in money and sweat equity, this sort of behavior doesn't amaze me at all. Hence my comments from the other recent vandalism case being discussed.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18784

See, I'm not so inclined to agree. People have free access to lots of things, not all those things get vandalized all the time. There's something special about DG courses that attracts big meanies.

We had someone pull out basket 18 and leave it next to the bathroom at my local course. The next day it was laying next to the basket on hole 8. It has since been put back in its place, but as for seeing someone vandalize my course, no, but I have played with people who just blatantly throw beer cans into the bushes. I sternly told them to put it in a trash bag/can to which one of them puked on the basket for the hole we were on. I just grabbed my discs and went looking for the grounds keeper. They must have left, because we never found them once I got him.

I'm young too and I wouldn't vandalize anything, but I know exactly the type OP's talking about. I played with my normal group + one extra person who doesn't play normally at my home course, and there was a sign that had been pulled out of the ground and then placed back into it's hole. He tries pulling it out for fun, his grip slips, and the nasty muddy fungus water that had been under the sign shoots up all over his shoes and shorts. It was a gift from the disc golf gods...

There is still a basket missing at a course near me. They have a 50gallon plastic drum with sharpie on the top 1/3rd for the "basket" - but we play if it hits any part of the basket.

*edit

Solution - 500 pounds of concrete, and cameras.

Last edited:
Basket #18 at White Birch used to get stolen all the time. The first time it was stolen on my watch, somebody cut the lock with bolt cutters. My answer was to abandon multiple pin placements on that hole and weld the new basket in place. The next time it was stolen somebody pulled it out with a pick-up. Pin placement, concrete and all. So I dug out the hole and poured in TONS of concrete, figured that wold take care of it. Then somebody came out with a sawsall and cut the pipe off at the base. :doh:

The first time it was stolen by a bunch of kids who took it to Endicott (before there was a course there.) I guess they thought they could carry it around and lean it against the objects on the old object course there and have a "real" basket to shoot at. As you can imagine, it ended up being too heavy to carry around and it didn't stand up very well. They got tired of it and just destroyed it, bent it up as badly as they could and threw it in the creek. Einsteins, I tell you.