• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter Advice

Zphix

Birdie Member
Hey guys, I'm currently looking for advice on putters and putting. I have 15 discs at the moment and only one putter; a Yeti Pro Aviar that I don't like very much. To me, the disc is far too deep and it grips my palm when I throw it so it comes out wobbly (though it's probably my technique and not the disc), still though I don't like how deep it feels for me.

Anyway, I need to practice putting because it's my weakest aspect of my game right now. I can drive over 300 feet with my Teebird, and can close the gap on the cage within 200 feet with my Roc but I have no putting game at all. I like that my distance and control is improving but it doesn't mean much when I can't putt very well. So, I need to buy new putters... and that means I need advice.

I took to these forums when looking for midranges and fairway drivers, and I absolutely love my Roc, Teebird, Mako, Comet, Buzzz, and Stratus... you guys didn't disappoint then and I'm wondering if there any discs that experienced players all agree on when it comes to giving love or high ratings to a disc. Like, everybody gives love to the Teebird line-up of discs, is there a similar appeal to any putters out there?

Right now I'm look at the following:
Ruby
Wizard
Wedge
Sonic
Magnet
Warden
Judge
Dart
Pure
Anode
PA4
Swan

Yes, I know it's a lot but these were the more understable discs that I've been instructed to look into for learning to play the game well. Can anybody help me out and take me to putting school?

Thanks a ton guys, I sincerely appreciate the advice and hospitality from this site and it's members so far.

-Richard

It seems you are asking about putters for strictly putting, not throwing as well. I think the easiest thing to do is to go to a local store and hold as many in your hand as you can and find the one that feels like it was made to fit.

For me, I putt with McPro's 9 months a year and switch to DX Aviar P&A's for the cold months.

I think it is easy to make recommendations for a putter to throw, but for putting, it is pretty personal.

Practicing is definately the best way to improve your putting. There was anotehr thread recently about putting practice or putting routine that you should read through. Lots of good thoughts there on how to maximize your time. Some differening opinions.

As far as a disc for you to putt with, it really is all a matter of feel. Most discs at short distances at the speeds you putt at are not all that different. You may find early on that you like an overstable putter because your misses tend to stay closer to the basket. I did that for a long time and then when I got better switched to an understable putter because it went straight for days, which made a difference on my jump putts.

When finding a specific disc, as you may or may not realize from your initial comments, it really is all about feel. I would forget reccomendations, go to a big disc golf shop, and ask to feel every putter they have. Find a few putters that feel good in the hand and take those home and practice putting with them. Figure out which one you make the most with. The combination of feel and the mental confidence of knowing you make lots of putts with a particular disc will lead you to your main putter.

If you do want to create a list based on your own preferences, as you mention you like a shallower feel to the disc, go to PDGA.com, search for approved discs and then look at the putters on that list (yes you may have to look at manufacturer's web pages to figure that out) and look at the specs that interest you most. There is a column that specifically lists depth of the disc and the height of the disc. I like low profile putters myself and it is amazing how hard they can be to find sometimes.

Now, I will give you some reccomendations based on my experience. The best low profile putter that is overstable is the Zone from Discraft. The best low profile putters that are understable are the Swan 2 from Westside and Summit from Vibram. That being said, ignore that and go to the store and see what feels best as I have already suggested.

I decided to try some new putters recently. I really only ever putted with an aviar p&a and wondered if something else would work better. One of the ones I tried was a PA4, and I love it for puttimg. It's under stable, and is nice and shallow. Great release off my fingers, too.

Thanks for the input guys. An issue now then is that there is no giant store near me: most of the disc golf stores are input shops that are vendors (two that I saw are smoke and '60s style shops with small selections) so there isn't really a shop I can drive to and grab every putter they have.

Except for Walmart haha where they have different basic discs in there sports aisle section. Not a huge supply but sometimes I see discs I like (the Wraith for example).

At the moment I kind of have to listen to what others say and go from there. Or buy a variety of discs and check them all out. Basically, if I could find a putter that releases from my hand like a Teebird then I'd love it. I totally understand needing to feel an item out before buying (I'm an AA rated pool player and buying a cue is the exact same) but I know for sure that I like hard discs much more than soft, and not too deep a disc as well. I'd be happy if both of those aspects are covered.

You're in Green Bay, aren't you? The road trip to Madison is definitely worth the effort for lots of reasons. Plus, you can't beat the selection at Glide.

From my experience I would recommend either the zero hard Pure or the zero hard Spike, both are made by Latitude 64. They are both pretty low profile which I liked for my stubby meaty drummer fingers. That swedish zero hard plastic feels has a mighty nice feel in the hand. I used the Spike when I was spin putting because I actually liked the little grippy pads they have on top. But the Pure is a pretty bangin' disc to throw as well, so it would be nice to throw and putt with the same mold if you dig them. I use opto and zero hard pures as throwing putters and I would putt with them too if I didn't like the extra glide the uber-deep dagger gives my push putt. Best of luck homie, I went through 6 putter molds and various plastics before I settled on one that had the right feel for me.

If its a strictly putting putter you are looking for it really is all about feel, so like others have said fondle some discs whether is fellow players or going to a store its the best way to go.

For shallow rimmed putters I love my Zero Soft Spike and my Dart, however my dart really shines on longer putts >40 feet.

I'm also loving my Vibram Ridge at the moment.

Really though, for close putting it all comes down to how it feels, IMO. Go fondle a bunch of putters and find one you like and grab 2 or 3.

Like everyone else said, feel is the real key. How it feels to you. Some people like really gummy Rhynos, while others (like me) prefer really stiff Judges....but not because I'm looking to get out of a lot of speeding tickets.

In short, try a few and see what feels right. I used an Aviar for a long time before ditching all putters for a few months (putted with DX Rocs) only to find the Judge, which has worked for me. And that's the key: it's all about what works for you. Try them all. Chances are you'll flip-flop back and forth a few times before figuring out what you really like. But that's one of the great things about disc golf. It's not about the destination....it's about the journey. Good luck!

What don't you like about the Yeti? What do you think you might like in a putter?

I like deepish putters with a bead(big bead usually) that have a reliable but not extreme fade. I currently use Touches, but also like the Wizard, Dagger and old big bead Aviar a lot.

Were I you, make that trip to Glide and feel up a ton of putters, get a stack of ones that feel good and then make sure(either by asking or smartphone) that it flies like you would like it to.

In addition to my favorites I like these as well; Magnate, Challenger, Mercy, Magic, Warlock, JK/KC/McPro Aviars, U2, and P2.

Thanks for the input guys. An issue now then is that there is no giant store near me: most of the disc golf stores are input shops that are vendors (two that I saw are smoke and '60s style shops with small selections) so there isn't really a shop I can drive to and grab every putter they have.

Except for Walmart haha where they have different basic discs in there sports aisle section. Not a huge supply but sometimes I see discs I like (the Wraith for example).

At the moment I kind of have to listen to what others say and go from there. Or buy a variety of discs and check them all out. Basically, if I could find a putter that releases from my hand like a Teebird then I'd love it. I totally understand needing to feel an item out before buying (I'm an AA rated pool player and buying a cue is the exact same) but I know for sure that I like hard discs much more than soft, and not too deep a disc as well. I'd be happy if both of those aspects are covered.

I cannot imagine a group on the course denying you the chance to hold their putter (ok, that sounds weird) for a minute. Ask the people on the course that you run into if you can try a putt. I would bet you will have a 100% success rate of them agreeing.

I have been on a putter quest myself. I love Wizards, but find them a bit deep to drive. So, I tried the chief. In sure grip, not a driving putter. GOt it in evolution and just was not impressed. Tried a soft neutron envy and everything clicked. I now have three, one in each plastic. The proton is 167. Just something about the disc that makes me happy.

I am like you in that I don't like a putter with a deep rim.
My best choice was a Gateway Magic. Understable and a relatively shallow and beadless rim. You can find them in a variety of plastics, soft, hard, gummy, sticky, etc.

Next choice, though a bit more stable, is the Discraft Ringer. Shallow rim but only available in ProD (like DX, base plastic)

Last, the beadless Aviar is also a great choice.

Having said all that, don't feel like you have to settle on a putter right away. Try a few.
But nothing will replace practice. Once you settle on a putter you like, get 5 or 10 identical putters (same plastic and weight and color, if possible) and practice, practice, practice.

The prodigy lineup has really shallow rims. Give it a try , it's about half a sdeep as a aviar rim.

I say the good old MAGNET would be a good disc to try in this case

-Solid classic disc
-Cheap. In stores, online, and used bins.
-Shallower rim than your Yeti (a big bead aviar)
-Will remain in production, tons in the secondary market
-Factory stamp and disc name are super classy

I need to practice putting
Get three or more of the same mold. Practice putting a disc and then practice putting another of same without needing to break focus and retrieve is very helpful.

the more understable discs that I've been instructed to look into for learning to play the game well.
This advice does not apply to putters !

..other thoughts
-At this point, just focus on a putting putter. Putters are of course great upshot and drivers too.. but if you are reasonable happy with other discs for getting to the basket, stick to a putter for putting for now.
-Follow through on your putts after release -fully commit
-Work in extra putts during casual rounds -reason to carry a second putter
-Putting games good
-Pay attention to the orientation and movement of all your body parts are when doing thoughtful practice

if on a great try out quest.. hard to go wrong with this deal for discraft:
http://www.sportdiscs.com/dgmisprints/puttmisprints.html

My primary is the Jk-x. I love how it feels in the hand. I also uses soft judges sometimes - to me feels like the same bead, but is slightly shallower. If you can try to feel putters of those you meet up on the course if you can't get to a store, it may be a solution.

I drive ions, ridges and summits - smaller bead, the vibrams are shallower.