• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Review pet peeve - blind baskets

I dont mind a blind hole if the fairway is either discernible from the tee or if there is adequate tee sign/map indiscation of where the basket is located. The best courses I have played all have numerous blind holes. I don't mind on my first play if Im not sure where the basket is as long I can somewhat tell where the fairway is cut. Blind holes r more of a problem on open courses as theres usually no reliable obvious fairway. Nothing is more fun than hitting a blind line and seeing your tee shoy in an advantageous position.....I will admit that blind holes with excessive shule. vegetaion brush, high grass, water or otherwise nasty disc eaterness completely suck!

One of my pet peeves here is people who put blind baskets as a con in their reviews since it made their first time through more difficult and less fun.

So let me get this straight. The guy that wrote the following review for Kilborne TPC is gonna start a thread complaining about how other people review courses.

Review By: Dave242
Played: 223 Reviewed: 223 Exp: 15.5 Years
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- C+

That's not a review, it's report card.

So let me get this straight. The guy that wrote the following review for Kilborne TPC is gonna start a thread complaining about how other people review courses.

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- C+

LOL Exactly.

blind shot

I dont think a blind shot of any kind is a skill shot hitting the line and hoping you get next to the basket or fairway .I play in augusta,ga the home of the blind shot 60 to 70 % of the holes are blind I think its alot of luck i have some friends who come to town and hate playing at some of the courses because it drive and putt all blind ...so blind hole are ok but if you have more 10 a course that is not all that fun for must people not golfers are pro must people have only 3 disc's to play with

Cute. :)

Actually, I do not claim to review courses.....never have - I just rate/rank them with a little justification added. Like I always say, and from my Kilborne "review": It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor"

You are right that I do not talk about ratings in my original post but rather reviews, but my concern is marking down the rating for blind holes. My second post on the thread clarifies: this should not be a reason to mark down the rating of a course.

Until you 4x your number of helpful votes and overtake me in being a helpful reviewer, I will not take any lip from you young man! :D

Last edited:
Several of the holes at my home course are blind holes, and I think it makes it interesting.

I agree that a blind hole should not hurt the rating of a course, but only if the hole is well designed. Some blind holes only offer one option to the basket and only allow for a perfectly thrown version of this option. That to me is simply poor course design.

Provide an example of a sport where a blind shot is part of the game. I couldn't think of one. A principle in any sport is allowing the player who is projecting something to be able to see where they need to go and gage how much speed, angle and energy. Blind holes in DG produce an unfair challenge with a homey bias such that those who regularly play the hole have developed muscle memory and disc selection. I can see why some players like or are at least fine with blind holes because they have practiced the holes and it gives them an advantage over others (except for the lucky ace story). Disc golf shot challenges should be presented in a way that someone can step up and reasonably see what they need to do.

OOOOOOhh SNAP!!!

count it!

Provide an example of a sport where a blind shot is part of the game. I couldn't think of one. A principle in any sport is allowing the player who is projecting something to be able to see where they need to go and gage how much speed, angle and energy. Blind holes in DG produce an unfair challenge with a homey bias such that those who regularly play the hole have developed muscle memory and disc selection. I can see why some players like or are at least fine with blind holes because they have practiced the holes and it gives them an advantage over others (except for the lucky ace story). Disc golf shot challenges should be presented in a way that someone can step up and reasonably see what they need to do.

um...does ball golf count?

As already mentioned, ball golf does not have have any blind holes from the tee on par 3s where you can't see the flag or on par 4s or 5s from the intended landing area prior to your approach to the green. In fact, I'm not sure there are any golf greens that slope away from the tee. They are either reasonably level or more commonly tipped toward the tee so you can see the green even better upon approach. If you have a blind shot in ball golf, it's only because your shot didn't land in an intended landing area.

As already mentioned, ball golf does not have have any blind holes from the tee on par 3s where you can't see the flag or on par 4s or 5s from the intended landing area prior to your approach to the green. In fact, I'm not sure there are any golf greens that slope away from the tee. They are either reasonably level or more commonly tipped toward the tee so you can see the green even better upon approach. If you have a blind shot in ball golf, it's only because your shot didn't land in an intended landing area.

IF YOU CANT SEE THE HOLE FROM THE TEE...ITS A BLIND SHOT.

this isnt rocket science here....

If you can see the flag, it's not blind. The place you hole out is at the bottom of the flag just like the basket is under the chains and number plate (and sometimes flag). There are hundreds of holes in disc golf where you cannot see the basket, chains, number plate or flag on top from the tee or par 4/5 landing area.

You can always see the flag in ball golf from the tee on par 3s and from the approach shot landing areas on par 4s and 5s. The pin and/or next landing area can be seen from the tee or previous lie. Never seen a single exception at least on the ball golf courses I've played and the many more we've seen on TV.

If you can see the flag, it's not blind. The place you hole out is at the bottom of the flag just like the basket is under the chains and number plate (and sometimes flag). There are hundreds of holes in disc golf where you cannot see the basket, chains, number plate or flag on top from the tee or par 4/5 landing area.

You can always see the flag in ball golf from the tee on par 3s and from the approach shot landing areas on par 4s and 5s. The pin and/or next landing area can be seen from the tee or previous lie. Never seen a single exception at least on the ball golf courses I've played and the many more we've seen on TV.

youre using the term "always" quite liberally...ive played a few ball golf courses where you cant see the hole (or "flag"...if you wanna be nit-picky and split hairs). examples of sports where there are blind targets were requested...ball golf is an example.:cool:

I doubt you've played a par 3 ball golf hole where you could not see the flag. They just don't do it because it is poor design. Par 4s and 5s do not count.

Not quite the same thing, but similar, is the no-look pass in basketball. Also quarterbacks in football sometimes make blind, or nearly blind throws from behind big linemen. Fishermen cast into water they can't see what's below the surface. Plenty of motorsports deal with "blind" corners. I've seen plenty of people on bicycles make jumps where they couldn't see the landing before they were airborne.

In b-ball and f-ball, the game isn't set up for those shots to be blind, but if you're in the wrong position they might be. Nonetheless, the player has the visual references needed to make those throws because at some point they saw the movement of the other player they are throwing to. The very name "fishing" means you're poking around blind although these days they have the electronic fish finders. Bikers and motorists aren't projecting an object and can actually see what they need to as they are moving which is essentially what's needed.

The point from the original post asks why blind shots are negatives. It's apparent that blind is worse than visible. How much is matter of other factors involved. I can see a hole that would rate 8 out 10 if visible but gets only 7 due to being blind. Likewise, a decent hole that's totally visible might rate a 6. We see hundreds of those. The blind hole is still better than the visible one and sometimes can't be any better because even relocating the pin to a visible spot it might still rate a 7. So blind holes can still be OK in the mix of holes.

In b-ball and f-ball, the game isn't set up for those shots to be blind, but if you're in the wrong position they might be. Nonetheless, the player has the visual references needed to make those throws because at some point they saw the movement of the other player they are throwing to. The very name "fishing" means you're poking around blind although these days they have the electronic fish finders. Bikers and motorists aren't projecting an object and can actually see what they need to as they are moving which is essentially what's needed.

The point from the original post asks why blind shots are negatives. It's apparent that blind is worse than visible. How much is matter of other factors involved. I can see a hole that would rate 8 out 10 if visible but gets only 7 due to being blind. Likewise, a decent hole that's totally visible might rate a 6. We see hundreds of those. The blind hole is still better than the visible one and sometimes can't be any better because even relocating the pin to a visible spot it might still rate a 7. So blind holes can still be OK in the mix of holes.

The more I think about it, the more I think the analogy of the "blind" jump on a bike or a motorcycle works, as they are actually projecting an object (themselves) without having visual evidence of where they want that object to go, which adds to the "wow factor" of the jump.

I could see that someone may actually enjoy a blind hole more on the same principle, parking a shot on a blind hole, or an ace, for instance. But the bottom line is, its all just an opinion, to each his own. So I will have to say I like blind holes, and I agree with Dave242's original post. I think they add to a course's merits. I guess I wouldn't want a course full of them, but a few mixed in is a good thing, in my opinion.

I think blind baskets is what helps makes a great course great. I think courses where all 18 pins are straight off the tee are well worse than than if a course had 18 blind holes. Although, I have never, ever seen the latter.

I've never seen the former, but if I had, I'm sure it would get dull.

Chuck,

I'm really surprised to see you bring out the analogy to golf in this instance. When have you ever seen a wooded dogleg par 3 in golf? In this case of design, the two cannot be compared. One of the essential styles of holes in DG is a wooded hole, which, without being completely flat and straight, would almost always have a blind basket. Even with a peekaboo window to the basket on a wooded hole, a player will likely be throwing on a completely different line. I don't see how that's any better than walking up the fairway a little and seeing the basket, then walking back and throwing. Suppose you can see the basket through a small window on a dogleg hole. You will still walk up and look for the bend in the fairway to get a better idea of when to turn the disc. Seeing the basket from the tee through a window isn't (IMO) any help on this kind of hole.