• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Ridiculously Early 2013 Ace Race Disc Speculation Thread!

I'm playing in my first ace race this sat. I have been wanting to play an ace race for several years, but lack of interest, school requirements, and moving have caused me to miss out the past three years. The course is set up on a mountain ski trail system with wide open long fairways, and steep elevation changes. Should be a fun day with the flight pattern everyone has described. I will add my .02 after its over.

p.s. It looks like the forecast will be excellent: no rain, lots of sun, low winds, and 65.

The heaviest discs at my A.R. were 169, I got 2 pkgs with 3x 169 and one 160. I threw the 160 for most of the ace race, beat it on the ground between holes, rubbed in the dirt to wear off the light touch of flashing there. I've used it for a couple round and even at 160 it fades reliably.

It also turns reliably. It should be a good line shaper. Turns like an Z-XL but fades much much harder.

The rim size feels closer to 1.9cm/speed 9 than a Teebirdy 1.7cm. In my rounds since the A.R. it's flown like a 9 speed Wraith, or maybe a worn Eagle-X? Idk, my Eagles are still 8/10. A bit low on HSS but ends left every time. I've been throwing the 160g mostly, ~330'.

I got a domey pink 150-159, and a swirly flat purple 160-163. I'm not sure if its my lighter weight discs or what, but I'm not seeing why people say its beefy. It does have fade at the end, but not enough to call it beef. It has some inital turn then holds (glides) a long straight line before a nice slow fade. Kinda reminded me of my FR Shock. Our course was set up too short for this disc with most holes falling well below 200ft.

The practice throws before the round were nice long and very consistant. Lots of glide and lots of control. I think its a great disc and would bag it, but I'm satisified with the MVP's so I will post this nice disc for sell. PM me if you are interested.

I was just wondering this myself today - maybe a tick or two more stable?

More speed, more beef.

I use this AR Disc off the tee to replace my (sadly, lost :() Champ Viking and it flies almost exactly the same.

I can't get the distance out of the Zombee that I can with this disc, and the Zombee is definitely not a wind fighter like my 170g-172g 2013 AR disc is.

My $0.02, anyway.

The ace race disc has some beef to it, more than the zombee. They will turn especially into a headwind but they usually pan out and then hyzer back. Its a great disc for the discraft lineup!

I fear this Ace Race will be like my Birdie Bash earlier this year with an Ascent. Heavy fade made certain shots impossible for a rubber-armed LHBH.

I'm hopeful I'll be able to get some rips if I get a lighter one.

my buddy has been able to get his 165 ace race to turn before it fades out. He has been getting some of his best distance out of it around 315-330 ft so I would say you should be fine.

Had the opportunity to play in my first ace race yesterday and had a lot of fun. Almost had my first ever ace of any kind but sadly the angle the disc was at when it entered the chains was steep enough that it spun right through and came out the other side, bouncing off the rim of the basket and falling out :(

I really like the way the disc feels, but the two that I received, a 168g blue and a 155-159g gold fly very differently. For me the heavier disc flies straight with maybe just a touch of turn before it fades, while the lighter disc flies straight with a late turn and no appreciable fade back. This is when throwing both flat and with as equal power as I am able.

Just imagine if Discraft would have had this disc out the last 10 years maybe Nate Doss would have another world title or two. I think that he uses predators for his "tbird" type disc. Maybe this disc will help him out alot!

Pretty much agree with this: ...but would give it 8, 4, -1, 3

Discraft said it's between a Stalker and a Predator... I'd agree on both stability and speed.

Now that I've thrown it a bit more, I'd say the fade's closer to 2 than 3, and while the glide's closer to 4 than 3, I certainly wouldn't describe it as "glidey." Predictable overstability in a very usable dose. I can see people liking these once they beat in.

The question remains: Do you call a disc that fits between the Predator and the Stalker the Molester?

Last edited:
Now that I've thrown it a bit more, I'd say the fade's closer to 2 than 3, and while the glide's closer to 4 than 3, I certainly wouldn't describe it as "glidey." Predictable overstability in a very usable dose. I can see people liking these once they beat in.

The question remains: Do you call a disc that fits between the Predator and the Stalker the Molester?

Perhaps the Hunter or Seeker is more marketable than Molester ;-)

Do you boys like pearly plastic?

Ummm, look at all these musclly-armed plastic pugilist in their baggy shorts that flutter so carelessly in breeze

So I played the ace race yesterday. I must say I like this disc a HECK of a lot better than the Zombee. Much more workable for me. This disc is making the bag. Took it out today and threw 18 holes using my 167-169 for every drive and I can really get this thing to go. It isn't as overstable as the avenger I throw by any means, but is very capable of handling a head wind none the less. In innova numbers I would say 7 or 8 4 -1 2. When I really got the good hit this thing was laser straight with a nice forward penetrating fade and pretty good skip as well. Good job Discraft. Oh and by the way before this disc my avenger is the only Discraft disc I have actually bagged.

We got light ones, 155 and 163 or so; it was hard to throw them short enough with how the course was set up.

I took the 16x out again this afternoon, and it took a good rip, flew dead nuts straight and usually had a nice skip at the end.

Pretty sweet disc actually. :clap: