• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Ridiculously Early 2013 Ace Race Disc Speculation Thread!

So the Comet SS will have to wait. :(

Players pack looks very solid as always, not many tournaments that give you a better value (especially for newer players) than events like the ace race or vibram's birdie bash. Like others, I'm a bit disappointed in the choice of a driver. The most fun ace races I've attended (I've played at least 1 in each of the last 5 years) were the ones with the focus and zeppelin. There were a ton of aces and metal hits, and people were able to throw shots they would typically use at that range rather than silly 150' flex shots and spike hyzers when discs like the zombee and hornet were used.

it appears to be some sort of fairway driver. states its beginner friendly and judging from the pics I would guess it to be small rim and not a huge wide rimmed driver. here's the info in case it hasn't been posted already

998406_10151553124742253_2120567362_n.jpg

The 2013 Ace Race player pack includes:

Two copies of the 2013 Ace Race prototype disc: It's a beginner-friendly distance driver... and it's in premium Titanium plastic!
On Titanium mini Magnet: you've never seen one before, since they've never been made before!
Two reusable scorecards/bag tags: something else you've never seen before! We commissioned these reusable scorecards just for 2013 Ace Racers. With a pencil and a clean eraser, you can use your new scorecards for round after round. The first one is credit card sized... keep it in your wallet and you'll always have a scorecard ready to go. It also makes a cool bag tag!
The 2nd reusable scorecard is larger for easier use and up to six rounds of 18 before it needs erasing. The flipside has the complete 2013 Discraft flight chart for easy reference anytime. Stash it in your back pocket, in your bag, or use the punch hole to hang it wherever you like.
We're also including a pencil with eraser with your Ace Race player package, so you can start using these cards right away.
Two high impact plastic pint glasses: very cool!
One beverage koozie: silver on black, jack.
One tri-panel Discraft sticker: three stickers in one.

Players pack looks very solid as always, not many tournaments that give you a better value (especially for newer players) than events like the ace race or vibram's birdie bash. Like others, I'm a bit disappointed in the choice of a driver. The most fun ace races I've attended (I've played at least 1 in each of the last 5 years) were the ones with the focus and zeppelin. There were a ton of aces and metal hits, and people were able to throw shots they would typically use at that range rather than silly 150' flex shots and spike hyzers when discs like the zombee and hornet were used.

Vibram Birdie Bash.. They do that in Minnesota? What's it like?

Not feeling the Titanium plastic......

I like it, should be interesting. I have only thrown the Buzzz and Stalker in Ti. Buzzz is great as usual and the Stalker was meh..

Yeah, I think I'll be bowing out this year. The thought of trying to compete in an Ace Race with a distance driver is just...frustrating. Now for every one of me saying, "this isn't what the Ace Race is supposed to be about." I'm sure there's another person saying, "yay driver! Putters suck!" So I'm just speaking for myself here.

I think they expect some resistance though, and that's why they beefed up the players pack to sway people on the fence. I just don't go to Ace Races to find my next disc. I haven't bagged a single Ace Race disc for more than a month. But there are several that I went to where I didn't spend one second thinking I wasted my money. This one just seems like it would end up with a lot of ugly powered-down lines trying to sneak into the basket, banging a driver into chains it's not designed to take repeated damage from (Titanium plastic or no.)

Vibram Birdie Bash.. They do that in Minnesota? What's it like?

I like it, should be interesting. I have only thrown the Buzzz and Stalker in Ti. Buzzz is great as usual and the Stalker was meh..

Ive just heard its not the most grippy plastic out there......plus some of the colors just make me shake my head....

Man, at least they could have released the Stratus in Ti or Z plastic. Oh well, already signed up for the event anyways with my club so it will be a fun day regardless. But a solid mid or putter Ace Race would be nice, my first Ace Race was last year and the zombee, now this proto fairway driver. Solid player pack well worth the money, just don't think Driver is the best way to go for this event.

I think Discraft sees how popular understable fairways drivers like the Leopard, River, Patriot, JLS have been and they want in. I like Ti plastic. It takes a little love to wear the initial "slickness" off. Similar to a stiff Wizard or KC Pro.

Man, it's going to be dangerous out there with people hucking drivers on laser lines. I'm going to be playing on a pitch and putt finesse course with tee pads very close to the previous basket. Got hit in the back of the neck at a DD two-disc challenge event. Not fun.

Note to self: seek out body armor or get big guy on card ...

A lot of people seem to have a negative response. You get way more than you pay for and these events are always fun :clap: . I also think that Discraft realizes that other companies dominate the fairway market so this makes sense. I'm guessing this will be like a Stalker SS.

Why are people saying that they don't like the disc.... you haven't even tried it yet! Some people don't want anymore putters in the market. Many people will say that Discraft has the midrange game down. Nobody wants a 13 speed disc for an ace race. Calm down and accept that this is one of the best "bangs for your buck" in disc golf.

I think Discraft sees how popular understable fairways drivers like the Leopard, River, Patriot, JLS have been and they want in. I like Ti plastic. It takes a little love to wear the initial "slickness" off. Similar to a stiff Wizard or KC Pro.

XL. Xpress. Glide. It wouldn't be new territory for them at all.