• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Ridiculously Early 2013 Ace Race Disc Speculation Thread!

Why are people saying that they don't like the disc.... you haven't even tried it yet! Some people don't want anymore putters in the market. Many people will say that Discraft has the midrange game down. Nobody wants a 13 speed disc for an ace race. Calm down and accept that this is one of the best "bangs for your buck" in disc golf.

Because a lot of people don't go to Ace Races with the prupose of trying to bag the disc. They go for the fun of a day of running the chains in a very casual environment. Now, putting a distance driver out there creates a few problems. One, it's harder to shape approach lines and get drivers to stick in the chains as opposed to mids/putters. Two, it's presenting a higher risk on a lot of courses that have 18 and turn it into 27 or so squished together. Third, it makes it harder for TDs to determine their layout. 150'-200' approach aces fit a very wide spectrum of players. Now, they'll have to stretch some holes out for driver range, but that will alienate very casual players who don't play "real" tournaments and look forward to the Ace Race because of that. So it will be a challenge to find that balance.

There are other aspects to consider as well, but the bottom line is, the quality of the disc is irrelevant. It could be the greatest beginner driver ever. But you won't have an Ace Race that's set up to use the disc to its potential. So it won't matter. Like the Zombee last year, lots of people liked the disc once they could use it in a real round. But it was a bit of a pain during the Ace Race because you couldn't air it out. That's why approach discs are ideal for Ace Races. And why people have more fun when they go with slower speed discs.

Man, at least they could have released the Stratus in Ti or Z plastic. Oh well, already signed up for the event anyways with my club so it will be a fun day regardless. But a solid mid or putter Ace Race would be nice, my first Ace Race was last year and the zombee, now this proto fairway driver. Solid player pack well worth the money, just don't think Driver is the best way to go for this event.

I could use a Stratus in TI!!!

Because a lot of people don't go to Ace Races with the prupose of trying to bag the disc. They go for the fun of a day of running the chains in a very casual environment. Now, putting a distance driver out there creates a few problems. One, it's harder to shape approach lines and get drivers to stick in the chains as opposed to mids/putters. Two, it's presenting a higher risk on a lot of courses that have 18 and turn it into 27 or so squished together. Third, it makes it harder for TDs to determine their layout. 150'-200' approach aces fit a very wide spectrum of players. Now, they'll have to stretch some holes out for driver range, but that will alienate very casual players who don't play "real" tournaments and look forward to the Ace Race because of that. So it will be a challenge to find that balance.

There are other aspects to consider as well, but the bottom line is, the quality of the disc is irrelevant. It could be the greatest beginner driver ever. But you won't have an Ace Race that's set up to use the disc to its potential. So it won't matter. Like the Zombee last year, lots of people liked the disc once they could use it in a real round. But it was a bit of a pain during the Ace Race because you couldn't air it out. That's why approach discs are ideal for Ace Races. And why people have more fun when they go with slower speed discs.

I am sorry that it is more difficult to get an ace within short range with a driver than a putter, but you do get to try a brand new disc, get a lot of stuff for the money, and although "...a lot of people don't go to Ace Races with the prupose of trying to bag the disc" most do. People are making too big of an issue over this. You may think "...people have more fun when they go with slower speed discs" but my fun comes from getting out on a course and throwing a proto disc with friends, not by the ability to chuck a putter.

They can't make the hole distances too long or people will spend too much time looking for their earth tone Ti discs. :\

Ive just heard its not the most grippy plastic out there......plus some of the colors just make me shake my head....

It's grippy. It's more so then Elite-Z. ESP is still grippier. Ti was their answer to Gold Line.. Doesn't compete but still. The colors are terrible, I will agree. A red and gold one though.. :) Please.

They can't make the hole distances too long or people will spend too much time looking for their earth tone Ti discs. :\
No kidding. The Ti plastic looks cool but the color choices are just awful for disc golf! Why would you make a forest green disc? They must have been smoking the wrong stuff when they came up with this idea.

Also the Ti discs don't have the stabilities listed on them which is kind of annoying. Other than that, I am going to sign up for the ace race and hopefully get a few dingers. The course that's listed near me really kind of sucks so I am wondering how this might work out.

It's grippy. It's more so then Elite-Z. ESP is still grippier. Ti was their answer to Gold Line.. Doesn't compete but still. The colors are terrible, I will agree. A red and gold one though.. :) Please.

Really? Ive heard it was downright slippery. Ill have to check it out then maybe.

I'll still do the ace race though regardless. Even if I don't like the discs the other stuff in the pack is pretty cool and I could sell the disc off and cover the cost of the pack plus a little probably.

Hopefully the TD for the ace race will let me pick my pack so I don't get stuck with crappy colors

I didn't think the few Ti discs I tried were very grippy at all. Just the opposite, not out of the box anyway. And I didn't hang onto them very long cuz some folks loved them. But with that said I'm looking forward to this Ace Race. I love the Players Pack, even with the Ti prototypes. A few years back when the Hornet was a prototype the plastic was ESP, but it seemed almost like FLx, in other words kind of floppy. I liked the flight path but I kept thinking if this disc were just a hair stiffer I'd have had that one. It was a common theme for the disc and Discraft got the word and made it in Z. I immediately bought one and still carry them in my bag.

Point is there may be value in the prototype even if the plastic doesn't suit you.

September 8, can't wait.

wasn't there just a thread about which you'd rather do without: mid ranges or fairways? everybody chose mid-ranges because they could power down a driver? lol. Sack-up doods.

I didn't think the few Ti discs I tried were very grippy at all. Just the opposite, not out of the box anyway. And I didn't hang onto them very long cuz some folks loved them. But with that said I'm looking forward to this Ace Race. I love the Players Pack, even with the Ti prototypes. A few years back when the Hornet was a prototype the plastic was ESP, but it seemed almost like FLx, in other words kind of floppy. I liked the flight path but I kept thinking if this disc were just a hair stiffer I'd have had that one. It was a common theme for the disc and Discraft got the word and made it in Z. I immediately bought one and still carry them in my bag.

Point is there may be value in the prototype even if the plastic doesn't suit you.

September 8, can't wait.

I love my Z hornet, it turns hard for me usually but it so predictable

I don't really care what type of disc they do each year, this is supposed to be fun. Most of the time, the people that win are pretty solid players and already have a decent bag full of discs they prefer more than the selection in the grand prize, so they sell it off. If you don't want to play with a driver, stay home. If you're bummed it's going to be harder to win with a driver, get over it. Consider it part of the challenge. If you want to compete with discs you like, there are regular tournaments you can enter instead. Discraft puts together a great, affordable event for disc golfers of all skill levels every year. The quality of the experience depends more on good weather and how well the TD has set up the course.

Kinda cool that Discraft is using Ti. For better or for worse, it's a great marketing move by them to get this underutilized plastic into more player's hands. Maybe they'll hear our feedback and improve the feel and grip of the material.

Will lots of the discs show up in the marketplace? It's not looking like I can play in any of the ones within 2 hours of me.

Will lots of the discs show up in the marketplace? It's not looking like I can play in any of the ones within 2 hours of me.

I'm sure someone could order you an extra pack from their event if you asked nicely enough and they had enough lead time.