• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roc vs. Buzzz, to end all wars

Im going to guess hes a buzzz thrower that uses Rocs for headwind shots? Maybe for all things stable

Calling me... anything really.. doesn't answer either of those questions. I think this is a case where people who are in the know don't understand why people who aren't in the know don't get it. I'm a bit disappointed that a forum moderator would come to the defense of smyith's unwarranted agressiveness, but i won't be losing sleep over it.

first off, being called ignorant is not an insult. ignorant people only take offense to it because their embarrassed about their lack of knowledge. hence why i said to not take offense to me calling you ignorant, which your posts show that you did.
theres is nothing aggressive about my posts, you are taking them that way only because i called you ignorant to a subject you obviously don't have much knowledge on.

You're misunderstanding. I'm talking about nuances between 1st run, 2nd run, etc. here. I said that, but I guess I wasn't specific enough. I'm NOT talking about the difference between San Marino Rocs vs Rancho Rocs. Yes, it's obvious all over the place that Rancho's are more stable than the other versions. For example, I've seen discussions on this forum weighing the differences between original San Marino discs and the later specialty runs.

until last year i had thrown Roc's for 9yrs (Ranchos specifically). Excluding the flat tops (these are intentionally done, if i remember correctly it gets sent through the stamping machine 2x) DX Ranchos have all thrown the same. the one and only difference is the occasional 'pop-top' rocs. Every KC Pro Roc i have ever thrown (up until they started releasing them in color) has thrown the same.
because you choose to throw premium plastic (personally i think KC Pro is the best Roc plastic) you can not knock a disc that was designed and intended to be thrown i D/DX plastic.
Buzzz's on the other hand were designed with intention of premium plastic being the norm. which is why the D gets a different rating (side note: was out throwing my D Buzzz last night...fricking awesome turnover disc brand new...i need a bigger bag for all my buzzzs lol).
it has been many years so this may not be true anymore, but several years ago innova designed the overwhleming majority of their discs in DX plastic (their ratings were based on this as well) and Discraft designed their discs around X plastic. so based on this you could say that Innova's intended flight for the Roc is only prevalent in DX and Discraft's intended flight for the Buzzz only seen in X plastic.

Respectfully, I'm not completely ignoring that. As I said previously, I prefer champ plastic feel for permanent spots in my bag. I do test discs in DX and understand that there's typcially a stability difference in plastics. Premium plastic Rocs are almost all CFR runs (unless something has changed since Three Putt's post,) and those are in the varied molds.
Actually, AFAIK, it's not just that almost all are CFR runs. It's that they're only run for the USDGC. The good news is that those aren't the best ones, even though they are the most expensive.

As for wanting Champ/Z type plastic instead of DX, I think you're just making it harder on yourself. It's easy to buy into the idea that more expensive and more durable means better, but for anyone learning that's just not the case. You'll have a much easier time learning and you'll get much better results out of lower end plastic putters, mids and fairway drivers for less money. I understand that few actually listen when I say that but the ones that do just happen to be the ones that like to talk about how they now throw mids 300'+ after taking that advice.

Your points about Discrafts history with discontinuing molds are very valid though.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying I'm expecting them to discontinue the Buzzz, just that there's nothing backing the argument that the Buzzz has more staying power or is more available than a DX or KC Pro Roc.

but I think this kind of proves my point at the same time that is simplifies it. If it's such common knowledge, why are there pages of threads asking about the Roc molds? Why wouldn't a DG store employee who has been playing long enough to have collector discs not know something so simple?
Because, "Just buy regular production DX and KC Pro Rocs" isn't very interesting to talk about online. Just because a few people are doing it doesn't mean it's widely known. If you go to any hobby enthusiast site to the equipment forums you'll find the same thing.

I'm still at a loss for why the hell this got so aggressive. Oh well...
It's the same, ill informed and illogical arguments that have been going on for years now. People tend to get less and less tolerant of them the more times they've been made. I totally understand why they're made, but it gets frustrating to point them out over and over again.

dome my man, dome... from run to run as well. the differences are subtle but notable. ill give it to you that its nowhere near the variance of the different Roc molds.

P.S. the second quote in your signature. ive heard that before, but i cant remember who said it.

Somebody sent it in to National Geographic after some article they ran. It appeared in the "Letters to the Editor" section or whatever that's called.

Somebody sent it in to National Geographic after some article they ran. It appeared in the "Letters to the Editor" section or whatever that's called.

ive been getting Nat Geo for 12yrs that must be where i saw it. i love the letters to the editor section, some funny stuff in there.

So has it been decided yet,which is better?Im a nube here but this is crazy.Doesnt sound like there is an answer.I have had both,prefer the Buzz and one of the guys I play with prefers the Roc.I dont hate him because he wrong!:p

Just for what its worth.what does it matter.Here is just an idea-------

**If you prefer the Roc-Throw the Roc.
**If you prefer the Buzz-Throw the Buzz.
**If you like both-throw both
**If you prefer something else-Throw something else.

Why is it so important to try to prove something that really cant be proven?Sure not worth bickering over,is it?

Personally I prefer blondes!

Last edited:

Why is it so important to try to prove something that really cant be proven?Sure not worth bickering over,is it?

But where's the fun in that?

In all honesty though, I agree with you. If you like a disc, throw it. If you don't, don't. Doesn't seem worth 200+ replies to me.

So has it been decided yet,which is better?Im a nube here but this is crazy.Doesnt sound like there is an answer.I have had both,prefer the Buzz and one of the guys I play with prefers the Roc.I dont hate him because he wrong!:p

Personally I prefer blondes!

but without thread like this where do us Trolls go to have fun? its just for the sake of discussion. neither is better then the other. everyone here knows that (except Hegemony maybe :p) but its still fun to argue.

but without thread like this where do us Trolls go to have fun? its just for the sake of discussion. neither is better then the other. everyone here knows that (except Hegemony maybe :p) but its still fun to argue.

Definitely not a thread for Rodney King quotes. :)

Rocs are great discs. Too many people swear by them to claim otherwise. If Innova made a Champion plastic, standard release run, I'd probably buy 5 of them on the first day. Until then, ESP and Z buzzz's for me thanks. :thmbup:

Haha-I get it.And I dont mean it seriously,I just find threads like this funny.People take it to heart.Want a funny read,do a google search on mac vs PC.Now thats a funny read.

Besides its pretty simple.The Buzz is far superior to the Roc.Thought everyone knew that.
:popcorn:

Out of the box, a buzzz will fly further and straighter. That coupled with their availability in premium plastic is why the majority of new players prefer the buzzz.

state reasons why kind sir

I want to flame you

Because they have that cute little bug looking thingy on it!

Naw in all seriousness(and I was kidding)-Im entering my 4th year to play,and we play a couple times a week.So I am a noob,but not totally wet behind the ears.My whole group got me started on the Roc.I struggled with it and everyone told me to just stick with it.I liked it but one day in an open field I found a ZBuzz(bar stamp at that).I liked it way better that the Roc at the time.Ive taken my rocs out for fun,but Im just way more accurate with my Buzz.I can get it to do what ever I want it too.If I spent time on the roc I just may "get it",but for now my 3 buzzes cover anything between 100-275ish.But hey,Ill do anything to improve my game,and in the future if I learn to throw the Roc better than what I can do now on my Buzz,Ill switch in a heartbeat.

I played with a guy last year and he was a Roc fanatic.He threw his Roc on holes I was throwing my drivers and he was deadly.Killed me that day.

Out of the box, a buzzz will fly further and straighter. That coupled with their availability in premium plastic is why the majority of new players prefer the buzzz.

I agree with this.I love the premium plastic.Plus in the beginning,all the different Rocs confused the heck out of me.

Hey man here is something you can flame me for-how the heck do you post how many courses,etc,in your profile.I get there and doesnt give me that option.

you have to search the course in the main part of the site, and add it to your played courses. make sure you are logged in in the main part of the site