• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roc vs. Buzzz, to end all wars

the guy with the stupid avatar. At least the roc vs buzzz debate is localized instead of there being 4-6 threads at all times...

I threw rocs for 10 years. The reason I made the switch to the buzzz was simple; Consistency. I got really sick of losing my beat in roc and having to go without until I beat in a new one. And even then there never quite the same. Now when I lose a buzzz I grab a new one and it flies just like I expect it to.

Fixed.

I like the consistent feel in my hand of only throwing one mold. With the Roc it starts out stable enough that I can use it as an overstable hyzer disc, then as it beats in it will fly straight and then after more wear it will turn over. Keeping three Rocs in the bag in various stages of wear will cover the full spectrum of midrange shots.

The Buzzz does not start out stable enough to do this and has to be combined with a Wasp to get the same effect. So you need TWO discs to do what the Roc does alone. Using simple mathematics, that makes the Buzzz only 1/2 the disc the Roc is. ;)

By your math you need three rocs to equal a buzzz and wasp combo, buzzz wins:p

well you could decide by which would win in a fight

Sunday Sunday Sunday...The Battle of the Staple Mids....Buzzz (Bee) vs the Mythical Roc....Who will win?....Sunday Sunday Sunday

i got $100 on the Roc. Bee stings Roc, Roc says ouch, Bee dies, Roc lives......

Roc - overall more versatile. but requires 'aging' the disc to do so
Buzzz - very versatile but lacks in some areas. doesn't require aging to cover a greater range of shots.

The Buzzz I have flies more like a TeeBird than a Roc. Yesterday I parked it on a 320' hole that I've never been able to reach with a Roc. I like both and carry both currently...and a Q sentinel.

I can't remember who said it, but I think it was garu

the roc is a jack of all trades, but an ace of none. it is super versatile and with wear can cover many lines, but no stage of wear roc can hold a candle to dead nuts straight and far like the buzzz. with a buzzz/wasp/meteor combo you have the same shots as rocs in stages of wear, and they last longer.

I can't remember who said it, but I think it was garu

the roc is a jack of all trades, but an ace of none. it is super versatile and with wear can cover many lines, but no stage of wear roc can hold a candle to dead nuts straight and far like the buzzz. with a buzzz/wasp/meteor combo you have the same shots as rocs in stages of wear, and they last longer.

1) they're all in premium plastic (not as big a deal to me as it use to be)
2) mold minimalists won't go for it as much
3) Roc is a better tool for gauging and learning
4) Rocs have a bead... buzzzs don't (whatever that matters)

There are some key factors that come down to someone preferring the Roc or Buzzz.
These things are if you like a bead or no bead, you like easy to access premium plastic vs a disc that is fine in baseline plastic, you like a disc that will beat in vs a disc that won't for a long while, you prefer mold minimalism or don't mind having some extra discs in the bag. Can anyone think of any other determining factors?

I myself appreciate well made beaded discs (aviar, wizard, stalker, force, roc, comet). But I understand where others don't. I also like good baseline plastic and don't find it that hard to come by. I also just enjoy the flight pattern of a roc and all the things it can be used for.

btw, rocs won the roc vs buzzz tournament held in Ohio last year.

blake_t said:
the only things i consider to be a matter of preference with rocs and wizards is preference for "best."

4 things you want from a midrange and driving putter:
1. high speed stable: it shoudln't turn.
2. predictable low speed fade without being overbearing: it should fade every time, but by a reasonable amount.
3. range control. it shouldn't be difficult to manipulate the disc's range.
4. carry. given the speed range of "midrange" discs how far do the discs carry. note: i separate this from glide because floaty understable discs often have the best glide but terrible "carry."

so, taking various discs and rating them by each category, the frontrunners become simple:
Roc: 1. A 2. A- 3. A 4. B+. GPA = 3.75
Buzzz: 1. B+ 2. A 3. B- 4. A. GPA = 3.5
Wasp: 1. A 2. B 3. B+ 4. A-. GPA = 3.5
Kite: 1. D- 2. D- 3. B- 4. B+ GPA = 1.83

Blake knows whats up.

I'm starting to wonder why I need any other disc than a buzzz. Seriously.

I think I'm going to go to the next tournament carrying only one disc and a mini. Bring it bitches.

Blake knows whats up.

so because Blake's opinion is that a Roc is better that settles it? if he said you'd be a better DGr if you drop off a bridge, i bet you that there would be several people who would do it on these forums :rolleyes:

Its totally subjective and his own opinion. The Buzzz gets a B- for range control? honestly? and a B+ in high speed turn (FLX, ESP, and some Z have almost no HS turn)?

I think Three Putt actually said it. I don't think I'd call it master of none because it's really good at a lot of things. The only thing the Buzzz really has over it is low, straight and far.

While Garu may have said that, I think he got it from Blake on DGR.
That's true for about 80%-90% of what I say about DG.

so because Blake's opinion is that a Roc is better that settles it? if he said you'd be a better DGr if you drop off a bridge, i bet you that there would be several people who would do it on these forums :rolleyes:

If you ever get a chance to talk to the guy (or read old posts that kind of explain why he is legit) you would know that he has a lot of strong connections in the DG and has taught a lot of people. He also has a sports background, that for whatever reason he applied to disc golf, which required him to think about and figure this kind of stuff out. Dude is legit.

Its totally subjective and his own opinion. The Buzzz gets a B- for range control? honestly? and a B+ in high speed turn (FLX, ESP, and some Z have almost no HS turn)?

Not his opinion. Its an honest attempt at accurate assessments and I think you may not understand what he is getting at on a few things. The B- in range control is because Buzzz's don't power down the best and have a specific distance range that they perform best in. The Roc's performance range is larger than that of a Buzzz however the Buzzz is longer (Blake would not only admit this, but he would probably say the Buzzz is roughly 10% longer than the roc). I'm going to take a stab at this but I think I'm pretty spot on (Timko, mind helping me out here?) but HS only comes into play when the disc is thrown at its proper speed. The Roc requires less arm speed where the Buzzz is technically a faster disc and you will only see turn out of it if you're throwing it properly, and most people don't actually end up getting it to proper cruising speed. And that isn't with a beating in first.

I actually thought the "Grading" was rather correct. It only had the buzzz at .25 behind the Roc, but the Buzzz is a disc that will go farther.

cfair,
ive been reading Blakes post since before you knew what DG was. ive had many forum conversations with him and others. yes he knows alot about disc, but so many of you take his word as Law and if anyone says otherwise then their stupid or dont know what their talking about. its getting to the point of ridiculous. im gonna start calling you guys a Cult.