• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rocs and windy approaches...WINDY!!!

TxDiscGolfBoy

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
Okay...a buddy and I went out to Weathorford DGC and played 18 holes in a non-relenting 40+ mile an hour wind.

For my approach shots, I'm always using a KC Roc. I have three Rocs, all with different stages of wear, but in a headwind or any wind of that caliber (35+) they get really wobly when coming off the hand.

What's evreyone's opinion on Rocs into wind of that strength because I never have any luck. Should I maybe carry something way more overstable just for those occasions? (obviously, right?)

I'd like some disc suggestions. Innova preferred, but would gladly hear Discraft / other suggestions.

try a gator. Way more overstable than a roc. In discraft I like the zone or drone.

Try my Gator next time. That Gateway Blaze is also overstable and feels more like Roc than a Gator.

Yeah, dude, sure will. I was flickin' that Whippet into headwinds (only because I couldn't back hand the couple shots...you know me, flick when it's the only option left)....but it was doind pretty good.

What weights are your Rocs? Max weight Rocs act fine in the wind.

175-178-180

Mine do fine in headwinds too, but this was 40+ wind. Not gusts, but 40+, unstopping winds.

The rocs were put on a hyzer, came out str8 and as they rose they became wobbly, and turned over with no fade.

Maybe put more spin on them? If they're wobbling, I'd assume that it's your form. I use a Wasp for shots into wind. They fly much better IMO. I've thrown them straight into 20 mph wind and they just fade out as normal.

Maybe put more spin on them? If they're wobbling, I'd assume that it's your form. I use a Wasp for shots into wind. They fly much better IMO. I've thrown them straight into 20 mph wind and they just fade out as normal.

....again....I'm talking 40+ winds. 20mph is daily here in TX.

I've played in Texas at 40+ mph. It's kind of funny the first time but gets old fast. I remember one putt that I hit the chains dead center, it hung there for a second, then came shooting back out toward me. Very strange.

You probably need more stable discs to deal with that kind of wind. A roc probably doesn't cut it. You could try a brand new one in a stable plastic thrown with a big hyzer....but I'd move onto a gator/drone equivalent for those days.

I've used a Whippet in those cases.

Stating the obvious here: For normal approaching, I use my Voodoo either on a hyzer or type of soft anny. In the wind, of course, these discs can fly off-course, usually unpredictably. I use a Roc when there is a bit of head wind because the faster disc will not glide much at these low speeds and sit down near the basket. You do this as well, right? So as the wind picks up, keep going to a higher speed disc, or something that's overstable.

I'm not sure you need a specialty disc, just try faster/overstable discs that you have. I doubt you are trying to "sink the putt" in the high wind, so something that dies as the end will work fine.

I'm packing it up and going home. :) Not sure if this rook could handle big wind like that! How do you even keep a disc up and flying on a line in a wind like that?? Do you Hyzer or Anny into the wind depending on wind direction? I've never played in that much wind. Over stable is the way to go? Thanks for any help.

I throw a MRX when a Roc isn't quite stable enough. I've thrown a Drone a couple times, that seems to be another notch more overstable. 40+? That's Monster or Ram time.;)

....again....I'm talking 40+ winds. 20mph is daily here in TX.

Right. The Wasp fades out as normal into a 20mph wind. I'm pretty sure it would still go straight for a 40mph wind. Even if it turned some, it'd still be decently straight at 40mph.

I've used a Whippet in those cases.

Stating the obvious here: For normal approaching, I use my Voodoo either on a hyzer or type of soft anny. In the wind, of course, these discs can fly off-course, usually unpredictably. I use a Roc when there is a bit of head wind because the faster disc will not glide much at these low speeds and sit down near the basket. You do this as well, right? So as the wind picks up, keep going to a higher speed disc, or something that's overstable.

I'm not sure you need a specialty disc, just try faster/overstable discs that you have. I doubt you are trying to "sink the putt" in the high wind, so something that dies as the end will work fine.

Yeah man. I totally float the rocs in high winds. They just hang in the air, but the 40mph+ winds are just too much for a roc it seems. I have a star roc as well, and even that didn't work. The whippet works well, but just too fast for the situations at this course (not a big arm course. most pins are reachable from the drive.)

40mph+ turned the rocs ...well let's just say it looked like i was throwing plastics plates through the air.

I'm packing it up and going home. :) Not sure if this rook could handle big wind like that! How do you even keep a disc up and flying on a line in a wind like that?? Do you Hyzer or Anny into the wind depending on wind direction? I've never played in that much wind. Over stable is the way to go? Thanks for any help.

40+ wind shots for RHBH (for me anyways)

left to right wind --- little hyzer and just put it out there, if i muscle it, the only thing it can do is flip over. so i go whippet.

right to left wind -- just a touch of any, too much though and the wind will knock it down as if God's great big hand slapped the top of it.

headwind ------- i was throwing super overstable. roc twists, wobbles, turns over as if it's been up on a 5 day drug binge.

tailwind --------- not a problem....BLAST IT!!!

Get you a discraft Zone for those crosswinds if it's that windy. That thing starts fading as soon as it leaves my hand.

I love my gator and banshee for really strong headwinds like that. The gator won't go quite as far as my rocs will, so I use the banshee for longer headwind shots that the roc would normally come out on.

Latest posts