• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Run-by Shooting

zud00

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I've never done it until tonight and it was actually very fun. I wanted to play a round this evening before it got dark; I was playing with my brother and he suggested we run/jog between shots. To make it even a bit quicker, we only used 3 discs each rather than carrying our bags.

To my surprise, it was a lot of fun and we played 9 holes in 15 minutes and got another 6 holes in after that. I carried a Teebird, Roc, and Aviar and in addition, hit an ace (3rd ace)! I shot fairly well but could have done a bit better if I would have taken a little more time on my putts.

Has anyone else ever done this to get a round it to beat the dark or perhaps weather? I probably wouldn't have ran but I wanted to play so badly and I only get to play maybe twice a week.

I've done it before and found that I shot as good or maybe even better than a normal round. I did have to make myself slow down for putts, but there is something to be said for having your blood pumping when you drive and take your upshots.
I don't make a habit of playing this way though, because it doesn't translate well to tournament play where a round may take 3 or 4 hours.
The last tournie I played in, though, there was a guy on my card for the first round that was running late and then went to the wrong tee to start. He had to run all the way across the course to get to our hole where he was supposed to start and got there just before we holed out. He ended up getting birdies on the first 3 out of 4 holes on the course that round and went on to win the tournament in our division, MA1. I think that all that running and getting his blood flowing may have worked to his advantage...at least to start out.

I haven't run, but I did a rush before the rain game with a friend, we did 18 in a bit over 45 min. back in the car in 50 min from when we stepped out.
I love to play before dark, I start at 7pm and throw 2-per-hole on HCC front 9, finish up about 8, just dark this time of year, nice and cool, not many people there, real nice time.
I would like to try a glow round!

I've heard of people playing like this, but have never tried it myself. When I was playing at Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis, there was a guy with only a couple discs playing speed golf (i think there may be a more official name for it...:confused:), and every few holes he would stop on the tee pad and stretch a bit.

That guy played like 4-5 holes to my 1, and lapped me a couple of times!!!...:eek:

I've played a little speed golf to work on my cardio before. To make it even more fun, try adding the number of minutes it takes you to play with the number of strokes you take for your total speed golf score.

I'm waiting for someone to post something along the lines of, "Man, back in the '80s, we used to do so much coke we'd play 18 holes in 10 minutes!"

I played 18 holes at Sylmar in 17:30 @ -3. That's pretty good... lots of elevation (up) on the back nine. I carried a road runner and a roc.

I need to start doing this again... beer gut!
DSCJNKY

I did 27 last Wednesday in just under an hour. Not quite running, but the impressive part was being able to do that with the amount of people who were on the course. The group I played a hole with on three lost a disc - so I went on ahead, then saw them again as they were finishing twelve and I was headed to #2 for the second time.

I've never really played speed golf. The whole point of me going to the course in the first place is to unwind and slow down... so to speak, so hauling arse thru the round just doesn't have the appeal that a normal round does.

To each their own. Don't get me wrong. Run at a full gate if you want.

Oh, i keep a few of those silver fishing glow sticks in my bag. I ain't askeert of playing in the dark on any given day.

I was racing windsurfers in 80s. My ex and I resided in Fla. There was plenty of snow there.
That chit kills people. Stay clear, imho.

I would try it, but I don't run. At my weight, too many things start giggling, and swinging around and I am liable to knock myself out.:eek: