• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Run out of light during match play

bobmcnelly

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So I apologize if this has been covered or if this is clearly in the rule book but I couldn't find it. What do you guys usually do if your are running out sunlight during league play?

Quick story: I was playing a casual round with a friend on a local course. We got up to hole 15 and found a large group of league members having a tag match. I know most them so they invited us to play with them. But being that I knew they were playing for tags and that light was becoming a factor we opted to quickly play through and then even offered to spot their shots on the final few holes.

This is a 19 hole course, and they got to 18 and it was pretty much dark. I walked down the fairway and tried to spot for them but really couldn't see much. But everyone managed to find their discs. But it seemed like the group didnt really know what was going on with the round, some just seemed to stop playing and others finished the hole. They all seemed to not want to throw 19 except one guy from the group. He drove before the rest of the group even got to 19 then ran down the fairway to go find his shot and putt out. He then proceeded to ask if anyone else was going to throw, and then tried to claim that they all quit and he won the match and deserved the #1 tag.

What do you guys think of this mess? Personally, if I was in the group I would have made sure to either declare the round over or postponned. But it seemed to me that no one in the group did that.

Is there a rule for matches that run long and become impossible to play because of light? How would you guys have delt with this situation?

We always make sure to have plenty of lights for sale and complimentary tape available, most players tape up before the round if we know it will get dark before we finish, some wait until the last minute, some insist on throwing glow discs. We have a plan in place beforehand, knowing our time frame - it happens this time of year, every year, no reason we can't be prepared for it.

^ this. You know it gets darker earlier as the summer ends and fall comes into play. Plan accordingly.

If someone tried that on me, I'd dole out penalty strokes for throwing out of turn.

I think this is what they told him. I left before it really went down. I don't like drama in my disc golf.

Not sure about the running down the hole, putting out and declaring yourself world champion stuff. I am guessing I would just be ignoring that guy. But, busting out the glow is the answer to late summer and fall league play for the last couple holes.

sounds like that guy's a twat with tag envy.

no thanks. put a light on it or hold a group vote to determine whether or not to keep playing. i feel that's fair. obviously the one guy would've been shot down.

What happens if a tournament runs late? Do they allow lights/tape or would that be considered altering the disc? I guess I need to get a couple glow discs just in case.

Adding lights is allowed as long as it is after sunset. Before the sun sets though...throw bright colors.

When we run bag tag matches, we declare the number of holes in play to consider the tag match complete. We always say something like, "We will finish on Hole 15." before the match starts. If everyone agrees on all the "ground rules", the match can start.
If something happens (rain, lightning) and we cannot finish on #15, the tag match is voided. No tags change hands.

Our club (CDL) takes tag matches very seriously, and we have a blast.
Good rules make good competition.

BTW, Throwing out of turn and chasing the disc down (in the dark) to hole out, solo, seems a douchebag move - and totally against the rules.

Last edited:
I'd tell him to go pound sand.....not only against the "rules" but a DB move as well.

No one on his "card" saw him drive and hole out.

DQ for misplay and he gets the worst tag

Or just buy a UV LED flashlight. You can get ones with 54 LEDs for like 10 bucks on Ebay. I myself prefer glow to lights.