• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Discs Beacon Basket

What's the status on PDGA approval?

On the frolfware site they say they are PDGA approved. And on the PDGA approved targets list frolfware does have a basket in the championship level category called the Holey Bucket. So Im guessing that this is that basket.

3) The chains are all connected at the bottom together, further enhancing the swinging effect. The chains should have a knocking down effect not a swing. EVERY company out there seems to be lost on that except Arroyo.

I hate when companies cheap out and only use one ring on the bottom to connect all the chains.

smyth, certain basket designs reward certain approaches. Just adding some perspective. If an Arroyo benefited hyzer putters, and you were a hyzer putter, that would be important to know.

every basket design favors certain putting styles. for instance one like this with the lighter chains would probably favor the softer putter and punish the harder putter.

i see several problems in the design of this basket.
1) The Salient name in the top band. it will not take long for sharp edges to form.
2) The links at the top of the basket are no good. That style of linking has a swinging effect not a knocking down effect.
3) The chains are all connected at the bottom together, further enhancing the swinging effect. The chains should have a knocking down effect not a swing. EVERY company out there seems to be lost on that except Arroyo.
4) with the chain link setup and the lighter chains, slide throughs are going to be extremely common on this basket, especially for people who putt with some force.

I find this basket especially funny when considering the "hippy engineering" comments. This basket doesn't do anything outside of the norm. And really is unimpressive besides looking pretty.
Basket design has barely done any advancing in the last 30+ years. Its essentially been add more chains or putt them on sliders. the Arroyo Vortex is the only basket I have seen come out with an attempt to change and improve the design. (they are awesome btw).
There is alot of untapped designs out there that would work so much better than the current common model. But until there is money in baskets there is no point really.

Yawn, I practiced on a vortex, I saw just as many problems with discs cutting or bouncing back.

I hate when companies cheap out and only use one ring on the bottom to connect all the chains.

the main problem with the solo connection is this:
when a putter hits the chains the bottom ring rises up the pole. at the same time this gives the chains more lateral movement allowing for more room to present itself for the disc to slide through. additionally as it drops down with the style of link above it it has a swing out effect and not a drop down (knock down) effect that would have a higher catch rate.
you'll notice that as DGA "improved" their targets the inner/outer chains quickly became separated...I'd argue that each chain should be independantly attached to the basket, not the pole, but that is a thread in and of itself. (I should be able to find all the parts to make a demo again out of my test basket again....knew I should've taken pictures originally. if not I'll just rebuild the parts or hack it together for demo purposes.)
Think about the Skillshot if you will, it catches disc amazingly for how little there is to actually catch it. How are those chains setup? what happens to the chains as the disc enters them? what happens to them afterwards? That basket does the best job at accepting the disc, not stopping it. Add an inner chain set and the Skillshot would probably be the best basket on the market...which is a sad thing to say.

smyth, certain basket designs reward certain approaches. Just adding some perspective. If an Arroyo benefited hyzer putters, and you were a hyzer putter, that would be important to know.

read my statement to BigSky.

I have nothing of real merit to add besides, I practiced on a vortex, I saw just as many problems with discs cutting or bouncing back.

ftfy

After looking at the baskets on the Frolfware site, there seems to be one major difference, and that is the basket. I don't know if the pictures on their site just aren't updated, or if this is something that they are doing specifically on the Salient models, but the basket design on their site is definitely different than the new staggered design on the Salient baskets pictured

After looking at the baskets on the Frolfware site, there seems to be one major difference, and that is the basket. I don't know if the pictures on their site just aren't updated, or if this is something that they are doing specifically on the Salient models, but the basket design on their site is definitely different than the new staggered design on the Salient baskets pictured

good eye

First Arroyo now Salient. I'm conflicted with the bright powder coated basket craze that's been blowing up. On the one hand it looks dope and adds a certain artistic value to the basket, also making it more prominent and easier to see. On the other hand however, it looks somewhat unprofessional and although i don't mind smoking or rastas, an 18 hole course with rasta colored baskets that Arroyo makes might hold a certain stigma to us for non-discgolfers. That doesn't help our cause to grow the sport at all. I just think beer and weed should be left in the car or at home. Other than that, I think the design is cool. Im not trying to start a debate either, just stating one guys opinion.

First Arroyo now Salient. I'm conflicted with the bright powder coated basket craze that's been blowing up. On the one hand it looks dope and adds a certain artistic value to the basket, also making it more prominent and easier to see. On the other hand however, it looks somewhat unprofessional and although i don't mind smoking or rastas, an 18 hole course with rasta colored baskets that Arroyo makes might hold a certain stigma to us for non-discgolfers. That doesn't help our cause to grow the sport at all. I just think beer and weed should be left in the car or at home. Other than that, I think the design is cool. Im not trying to start a debate either, just stating one guys opinion.
the baskets used in the European open were this color.

Pretty sure Independence Lake (Michigan) has the same color baskets. It is the first time I saw baskets of any color playing, really looked nice and they were easy to see from a distance too.

I'll take colored baskets over non-colored ones any day. Especially in the woods.

Yup, haven't seen a single instance where I didn't like colored baskets, and I've played on a whole bunch of different colors.

Yup, haven't seen a single instance where I didn't like colored baskets, and I've played on a whole bunch of different colors.

Credit Island (Davenport, IA) the baskets are painted light green (and not a bright one either).....the only time I have disliked a colored basket. Add in several 500'+ holes and low light and you cant even see them.

as grodney would say I am racist against green baskets.....:gross:

I had no problem seeing the ones at credit island (that's the former ball golf course in the quad cities, right?) on a cloudy late afternoon, but I could see that being an issue. I'm not convinced they're any worse than dull gray in that circumstance though.

What are thoughts on the cost? For a high quality American product it doesn't seem too high.

Nice color. There isn't much incentive for people to risk investing in an unproven set of baskets, especially when you go cheap on the chains. It looks like another pedestrian accomplishment by Salient. You got to step up your game if you want to stand out.

Nice color. There isn't much incentive for people to risk investing in an unproven set of baskets, especially when you go cheap on the chains. It looks like another pedestrian accomplishment by Salient. You got to step up your game if you want to stand out.

I'm genuinely curious if this is a positive or negative comment. I can't really tell.