• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Discs Beacon Basket

My only real beef with colored baskets is that they can mark up your disc with the color of the basket (or perhaps it was just the one colored basket I used...in that case I retract that statement)

Also, I prefer that baskets have flags on top also...it helps to spot them and also makes judging wind easier.

If this basket is done right it would be the first thing salient released that I am even MILDLY interested in.

Meh, spots of color on my putter doesn't bother me any more than spots of dirt. I've only ever actually had that happen once, and that was when the basket was painted not powder coated as I would hope these would be.

A question that came across my mind... When my aces and eagles miss high and bounce off the top of the laser etched band-- could they not cut and gouge the disc horribly?

I actually love the design and concept but do not want a near ace or high upshot to take a chunk out of my disc as reward for a good shot.

Are you talking about the etched logo part itself? I can't imagine it being worse than hitting the top or bottom of the band.

"Pedestrian" is not generally a positive term. Not really negative either. It's an eloquent way of saying, "meh."

Well if it was negative, I was going to tell them that they have been proven by the company that makes them seeing that they have been around a while. Oh well.

Looks like the top of the cage has no nubs, not even small ones like Mach 5's!? As much as I sometimes hate nubs, the skip outs my In-Step produces are frightening!

i would definitely buy this basket, as someone who doesn't have a basket or money to buy one, haha. i know there are other baskets out there, but some of them just have too many chains to appeal to me, and this looks like a sturdy, well-made and designed setup. i like the smoothness. i know there is the fear of investing your money into something but when i look at this i can't help but think it'll be fine, especially if you can customize the etching.

*EDIT* which you can. awesome.

Meh, spots of color on my putter doesn't bother me any more than spots of dirt. I've only ever actually had that happen once, and that was when the basket was painted not powder coated as I would hope these would be.

I'm guessing the one I was talking about was painted then.

Are you talking about the etched logo part itself? I can't imagine it being worse than hitting the top or bottom of the band.

yes where the brand is etched out. While not seeing it in person i would much rather hit my disc off rounded rnbs or flat bands than those which act like cheese graters at high speeds. that was my only point.

i should also say that i don't know much about basket design, but i'm not overly concerned as a person who would be buying one strictly for practice. as a course designer or someone who has a championship course ready to go, i would definitely scrutinize chain configuration more.

actually, that sounds like some fun reading. off to DGR and search these forums; huzzah for something to do at night.

A jump into the basket market with one of the most expensive portable options? And with no knowledge of its short-term or long-term durability, possible design flaws (I agree, I'd be pretty peeved if an ace run came in hot and got a good gouge from one of the cut-out letters.), or even how well they catch?

Salient would have been far better served to come up with an affordable portable option to compete with the likes of the Discatcher Sport or M-14, prove their quality against those, and then come at us with the more expensive version.

As it is, I can get a DB-5, Mach II, Chainstar, Titan, or Liberty for cheaper and I know their durability and reputations.

I'm sure they will sell some baskets. Just not nearly as much as they could. And I'd be shocked if they get more than a couple of courses outside their home area to bite on buying a set.

First Arroyo now Salient. I'm conflicted with the bright powder coated basket craze that's been blowing up. On the one hand it looks dope and adds a certain artistic value to the basket, also making it more prominent and easier to see. On the other hand however, it looks somewhat unprofessional and although i don't mind smoking or rastas, an 18 hole course with rasta colored baskets that Arroyo makes might hold a certain stigma to us for non-discgolfers. That doesn't help our cause to grow the sport at all. I just think beer and weed should be left in the car or at home. Other than that, I think the design is cool. Im not trying to start a debate either, just stating one guys opinion.

Im right there with you on the rasta stuff. Will never buy, keep or support anything with those colors. Its very unprofessional.

And I gotta say. The more I look at the basket the more I really like the cage ad absolutely nothing else. If the staggered spokes work like the say then thats awesome and I really like that it has no nubs. No nubs means that shanked putts have no chance of magically grabbing one of them and redirecting in.

I had no problem seeing the ones at credit island (that's the former ball golf course in the quad cities, right?) on a cloudy late afternoon, but I could see that being an issue. I'm not convinced they're any worse than dull gray in that circumstance though.
i could see on a cloudy day that not being an issue. might also depend on the time of year, we were playing in spring so everything was green. im just used to looking for the dull gray and picking it out quick I guess. I prefer the bright colored baskets tho, and could care less if they leave color streaks behind, just adds character.

If the staggered spokes work like the say then thats awesome and I really like that it has no nubs. No nubs means that shanked putts have no chance of magically grabbing one of them and redirecting in.

the no nubs is awesome, i hate those dang things.

A note to add for the available colors on these. I'm not sure if this is Frolfware's or Salient's ruling, but they are not available in multiple colors, so no Rasta baskets will be out there with Salient's name on them.