• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

share some pre tournament Rituals??

Terry C

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Everybody has different ways for prepairing for a tourney, Energy drink? Good luck charm? I was wondering if anyone had some wierd or maby supersticious rituals they like to do to get into it mentally before hand etc..., or go out and play the course the day before or morning of for a "pre-feel" or what? i'm interested.

Not sure what "works", but I can tell you one thing that doesn't. Doing tequila shots prior to a 10am tee time for a tourney that's selling beer in 4 places across the course. It'll make you shoot 17 strokes across 2 holes with a combined par of 8, and lose a driver. Incredibly this happened after the turn, and I was leading my card after the front 9. For the record I didn't have the worse score of the day.

It gets pretty hot and humid in the summertime here in Georgia...

I've heard tales of people powdering up the ol' coin purse with some Gold Bond powder to prevent chafing.

If at all possible, I go play on the course for 4 or 5 hours the Two days before. The 1st day I go, I play a couple of rounds slow, really thinking about the shots I'm going to take off the tees, concentrating just like it actually is the tournament. The second day I go, I take every single shot that I can think of on every single hole. This usually refreshes my memory of what not to do on all the holes. It's amazing how relaxed I am on the course the next day and how few bad decisions I will make if I get that second round in.

I like to go play the course a couple times close to the tournament, take my time, look around. I agree if you do that your much more relaxed the day of. Preperation equals consistancy. And yes for me alchohol does not help, i do have lots of fun drunk discin, but my score suffers for sure. For me if I try too hard ill be much worse than if I relax and try to not feel under pressure to do good, if I have that mind frame ill be on. As far as powdering the sack ill try that next summer when its hot and humid!!

Get rest the night before. Eat a good breakfast. Stretch. Warm up. That's about it. With my work schedule, I'm lucky to get two out of those four.

As far playing the course a couple days before the tournament, well, that works if its set up in that layout. Sometimes that isn't the case.

The only pre-ritual I seam to have is sitting and waiting because I get to the tournaments early. While I'm waiting I'll practice putting or play a few holes once some other people get there. Just some little stuff to help my calm down.

Oh, and getting 2-3 hours of sleep is also usually something I do before tournaments.

The most important thing that I do is read the mental game articles in this years first PDGA DiscGolfer Magazine the night before.

My ritual is to arrive WAY too early because I'm excited, then expend too much energy throwing discs, killing time until the player's meeting.

Get rest the night before. Eat a good breakfast. Stretch. Warm up. That's about it. With my work schedule, I'm lucky to get two out of those four.

As far playing the course a couple days before the tournament, well, that works if its set up in that layout. Sometimes that isn't the case.

That is what I AIM to do......but unfortunately, I end up getting 4-5 hours sleep because I'm either excited the night before, or go over the course in my head trying to decide on a better disc to drive with, hole-per-hole. On further away courses I usually stop for breakfast at a fast food place <Hardee's ,Bojangles>, so not the healthiest choice. BUT, I do usually stretch and warm up first, and have a healthy lunch between rounds. I also found that if I drink one of the 5 hour energy between rounds, I do tend to have more focus in the later stages when I usually begin to wear down.
One important reminder.....stretch before the second round. Your muscles get warm and limber after playing round 1, then cool down during the lunch break. Stretch will help prevent any pulls and cramps

Not sure what "works", but I can tell you one thing that doesn't. Doing tequila shots prior to a 10am tee time for a tourney that's selling beer in 4 places across the course. It'll make you shoot 17 strokes across 2 holes with a combined par of 8, and lose a driver. Incredibly this happened after the turn, and I was leading my card after the front 9. For the record I didn't have the worse score of the day.

I want to play this tourney!

My other pre-tournament ritual is to find an unoccupied basket and see if I can learn to putt in 15 minutes, having failed to do so in the previous 15 years.

I set two alarms the morning of the tournament; one for me and one for my putting. I can't tell you how many tournaments I've played in where my putting sleeps in and doesn't arrive until the second round :(

I punch a manatee in the face...and then I drink a pony keg of Sparks. The old Sparks. Not the crappy new version.

Chocolate Milk/doughnuts for breakfast. Get there an hour early walk front 13 planning out my shots. Throw last 5 to warm up, putt 15mins or so shooting pretty close to build up the confidence, players meeting, do work.