• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidewalks always OB?

pacrat77j

A group of us play regularly on a course that is covered in sidewalks (LL Woods in Lewisville, TX) and this question has been brought up on numerous occasions. Are sidewalks always OB, or only when it is posted for that course?

It's always the ruling of the TD in the case of tournament play. I believe that if not stated they are OB, but have played in an amateur league that plays them inbounds. I say make up the rule between yourselves to play it in or out and go from there.

If there are any course OBs they should be stated on the tee signs, course map, or if there is a kiosk at the beginning of the course. There is nothing that states every sidewalk or piece of asphalt is OB. That's typically how I play a course but that's just a matter of preference.

Really depends on the course and who you're playing with. If it's just a sidewalk that cuts across the fairway then I've seen it posted both ways. If you're playing casually I'd just agree as a group if there's nothing posted.

I usually play whatever rules they use for tournament play on the course. LL Woods, they play sidewalk and beyond OB for Advanced and Open. Rec and Int play it on sidewalk OB

Pedestrians' heads are ALWAYS OB. Sidewalks are OB at the discretion of the TD who ALWAYS has disc-retion.

No, I did not say that.

:D

I play where any concrete or pavement is OB even if any part of the disc is touching. This is also true when the sideways cuts through the fairway. This brings more of a challenge to the game, stay away from the paths.

I play where any concrete or pavement is OB even if any part of the disc is touching. This is also true when the sideways cuts through the fairway. This brings more of a challenge to the game, stay away from the paths.

I'd like to see you play that at a local course here. It has a sidewalk to the right of the basket, that has a pavement walkway extending to the basket. pass the basket by about 2 feet and you are on sidewalk. An uphill blind hyzer shot nonetheless.

In casual play, you can make whatever declarations regarding cement that you want. I think it does add a sense of fun to it when you call it OB.

If you find that a bit harsh but still want to spice things up, you call also declare it a "bunker". If you land on it, you have to throw a grenade shot (BH with disc upside down) on your next throw.

Thanks for the help and quick replys!

We ended up taking a vote, and based on it and the replys so far we are going to play them as OB. Along with that, we are going to play it as the "totally encopasses the disc" rule for now, and vary if the course has it posted or by tourney rules.

The passers-by rule will be one stroke if you hit a pedestrian and two if it sticks.

Last edited:
It's always the ruling of the TD in the case of tournament play. I believe that if not stated they are OB, but have played in an amateur league that plays them inbounds. I say make up the rule between yourselves to play it in or out and go from there.

This really makes the most sense. Decide among yourselves, keeping the interest of innocent pedestrians in mind, what is OB and what isn't. Then play by those rulles. Be sure to introduce any new players to your accepted rules before the first tee. Enjoy the game.

"Suit yourself" for casual play is fine advice. If you're playing amongst friends, you might change it up every now and then and see what you like best.

But if you have aspirations of tournament or even local play down the road, you might as well find someone who knows how the sidewalks are treated, and play that way. You'll end up there eventually, anyway.

My guess is that it depends on the course. If it says it on the teesign, then yes, otherwise use what most of the locals use. I feel if it is a sidewalk that crosses the fairway horizontally, then not O.B.

Why can't course designers

I have a course I designed in tx. with no OB, no mando's, no tricks. I am so tired of tricked up disc golf. Get creative and remember to let us have fun. Punitive designs seem to be the norm. So many courses I have played leave me feeling like I never got to throw.

You might define what you mean by "trick".

Mandos and OB are often safety issues. Other times, they make an otherwise boring hole interesting to play, requiring increased control of the thrown disc, or allowing a player to make a risk/reward decision.

Then there's the off chance that disc golfers vary in ability, and preferences. Many above-average players might prefer features you consider "tricks", and some courses might be designed with them in mind.

Drawing a circle around the hole to make an island green is a trick. You are doing something wrong if you have safety issues. Rethink the design or find a more suitable piece of land. I think there needs to be drastic redesigning all over the country. Junk courses are wasting baskets and giving a bad example. If you're wondering what level I play, here's a clue, who am I? I won 13 pdga tournaments in 1989.

Drawing a circle around the hole to make an island green is a trick. You are doing something wrong if you have safety issues. Rethink the design or find a more suitable piece of land. I think there needs to be drastic redesigning all over the country. Junk courses are wasting baskets and giving a bad example. If you're wondering what level I play, here's a clue, who am I? I won 13 pdga tournaments in 1989.

we are doing something wrong because we play mandos? Theres a course i play, Johnny Roberts, and on a hole theres mando to stop you from a hyzer over the sidewalk. This is to protect the pedestrians at the park. I would in no way consider this a junk course because its in a city park. Ill be in texas in a few weeks would love to play your "perfect" course and maybe beat a 13 time winner 20 years ago haha

Unfortuanly i noticed brady is in the middle of nowhere texas.. As I will be in the Dallas area. For real though mandos dont make a ****ty Course. Maybe the problem is, your not able to make the mandos when they are in place? Infact wouldnt you rather play a Drawn in line for an Island hole rather then play a real island hole and lose some plastic? Obviously USDGC are not for you, to much OB and Mandos there

Apologies. I tried to word my post to specifically not imply anything about your skill level (which I did not know, and which was irrelevant). I changed it from "better players" to "above-average players" for this reason. I was trying to post a reminder that there are different perspectives and, hopefully, different styles of courses.

Finding a more suitable piece of land is frequently not an option. We're usually in a "take whatever we can get" position. Some cannot be redesigned. I can cite several where mandos are for safety reasons---such as a hole for which the intended route is perfectly safe, but some big-armed players have figured out another route, over a ballfield, so a mandatory was put in to stop that.

Personally, I enjoy challenging and creative OBs, and a very high percentage of players I play with and talk with do too. I used to favor existing features being OB---creeks, lakes, roads, sidewalks---but opposed to ropes, haybales, etc., which I called "artificial OB" (even though they're no more artificial than the roads or sidewalks). Then I played a course that made massive use of them, and with the challenges they presented, is one of my personal top-5 favorites (out of 104). The Gold Course at Winthrop, home of the USDGC, shows others feel this way too; playing in the USDGC is highly coveted for many reasons, but the course is one, and many who don't get in are eager to play the course while the ropes are up.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm not crazy about mandos, except where absolutely necessary. So I built a private course, on which there is OB on 12 of the 18 holes, sometimes very close to the basket, but no mandos.