• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slower Disc Harder Vs Faster Disc Softer

Slower Disc Harder or Faster Disc Softer?

• Slower Disc Harder.

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Faster Disc Softer.

Votes: 14 19.7%

• Total voters

DiscFifty

Banned
Both discs get you to the green, but would you rather throw a slower disc harder or a faster disc softer?

I throw the slowest disc whenever possible, I get better accuracy and seems less likely to flair away from the target in the event of a grip lock, etc. But I know others would rather throw the faster disc softer. Seems like that would be more risky? :popcorn:

Last edited:
Depends on the situation around the pin, but generally:
Pretty much any time I want it to skip for any appreciable distance, I'll throw a faster disc.
Pretty much any time I want not to skip, I'll throw a slower mold.

Some examples (assume all of these situations are from the same distance out):
Clear line to the pin and it's important to stay put because of trouble behind the pin:... slower disc.
Low ceiling that's fairly straight... a slower disc thrown harder.
Low ceiling that needs to fade hard at the end (say to approach a pin that's tucked away)... faster disc.

While there are some general guidelines to the game, I don't believe in a "one size fits all" approach to the game.
One of the things I like best about disc golf is the need to adapt to the situation at hand.

Last edited:
What bogey said, with biscoe's notion of not maxing out the disc's capability.

If I have to throw harder than my comfort level, I'd rather throw a little easier with a faster disc.

If I try to throw harder, I tend to shank my shots more.

I used to have this idea of wanting to play "grown up" disc golf (I probably got this idea from DGCR), i.e. by golly I'm gonna stretch my putter or mid and get there! Then I realized that I'm much more consistent throwing my Teebird 260' than my Buzzz, even though I can make the shot with both. Sure it's impressive to throw a mid/putter as far as someone else tossed their driver, but that doesn't mean it was the smartest golf shot.

In short, the pendulum is swinging back toward "discing up," after some well-intentioned attempts at being the cool "throw the lowest speed possible" guy.

I'm also learning the utility of low hyzer lines with various fairways. Those are just easier shots than some of the shots I used to try with mids, so I'm partial to that strategy at the moment.

Last edited:
I always throw the same "hardness", regardless of whether I disc up or down. As in other sports, I just vary the fullness of the shot. That way I just have to worry about the flights the different discs will take.

There is a happy medium IMO between trying to throw too hard and not hard enough.

I like to think of it as a "full swing/throw" no matter what disc im going to throw.

I often will end up fluffing a shot when powering down a driver/mid and not committing to a full throw.

Easiest way to control power that ive found while keeping the throwing motion the same is just to shorten the reachback.

Anytime i actually try to throw hard or soft regardless of the disc speed it never ends up well. Even driving my ions 250'+ it doesnt feel like im trying to throw it hard.

Depends on the situation around the pin, but generally:
Pretty much any time I want it to skip for any appreciable distance, I'll throw a faster disc.
Pretty much any time I want not to skip, I'll throw a slower mold.

Some examples (assume all of these situations are from the same distance out):
Clear line to the pin and it's important to stay put because of trouble behind the pin:... slower disc.
Low ceiling that's fairly straight... a slower disc thrown harder.
Low ceiling that needs to fade hard at the end (say to approach a pin that's tucked away)... faster disc.

While there are some general guidelines to the game, I don't believe in a "one size fits all" approach to the game.
One of the things I like best about disc golf is the need to adapt to the situation at hand.

Bogey is all over this. Much like the hyzer or not to hyzer question, there are a landslide of variables that should come into play making this decision.

I tend to power down instead of trying to step on a slower disc. Whenever I try to really kill it, I throw it hard right because the timing is less forgiving I think. I think it depends on what's in your bag to some extent, so knowing what each disc will do when powered down. I used to throw a Buzzz which would not power down well for me; nose would always get up and go crazy left. I switched to a Comet, which I can power down and it will hold the line for longer and fade gently.

I try to throw the slowest disc that is consistent for the line I am trying to hit. I thought before it was a distance thing, then I realized it was a line thing. If it's 275' sure I could throw a putter, or a mid, or an overstable/utility fairway. If the line I am trying to hit is a sweep hyzer that can't turn over, then it'll probably be with a mid at 70%. If it's straight at it then it's a putter 75%. If it's a spike hyzer then it's a Firebird at 80%. If it's a low ceiling then a mid...if it's a very low ceiling then a fairway driver, etc.

Once I realized that McBeth sometimes throws his Roc3 on a 400' open shot, and also throws a Teebird on a <300' shot that he has to laser low through the woods, then I saw it's about stability/line while trying to throw at your comfortable golf power zone.

As Bogey and others have said, this is situational.

I believe many players talk themselves out of "faster disc softer" shots because of the "slower disc harder" mentality.

As Bogey and others have said, this is situational.

I believe many players talk themselves out of "faster disc softer" shots because of the "slower disc harder" mentality.

Spot on. In casual rounds I have no issue discing up. But whenever its even slightly competitive my ego takes over and I always think "I should just throw my Roc on this 350 foot hole, I can get it there." most times, I cant.

I feel what truly seperates good disc golfers from slightly above average disc golfers is disc selection. Putting and golf distance are of course huge factors but not throwing full power everything is huge. I am obviously struggling with it myself and Im glad for this thread and the "exestential mid range" thread for making me put some real thought into it.

I try to throw the slowest disc that is consistent for the line I am trying to hit. I thought before it was a distance thing, then I realized it was a line thing.
:clap: :clap:

That's exactly my mental game now days. But I still think overall, when you disc down you gain more control and more importantly more forgiveness if something goes wrong.

More accurate for me to "just throw" instead of trying to dial back a shot. Like throwing a Roc3 instead of a dialed back TeeBird or Thunderbird.

Agreed. I'd rather throw everything at roughly the same power level when possible.

BTW I ride through Dunbar every year. Any good courses in the area?

For FH, I find it much easier to power down a fairway driver than to power up a mid/putter. It's more of a touch thing for me; I like to FH shallow and wide rim discs because they're more comfortable in my grip. There are plenty of shots where I have the power to FH a putter or mid, but I don't have confidence that I'll get a clean release due to rim geometry.

For BH I'm typically trying to throw the slowest disc that I think will get there. The only exceptions are if I'm looking for some skip or wind play that I think a higher speed disc will do better.

For FH, I find it much easier to power down a fairway driver than to power up a mid/putter. It's more of a touch thing for me; I like to FH shallow and wide rim discs because they're more comfortable in my grip. There are plenty of shots where I have the power to FH a putter or mid, but I don't have confidence that I'll get a clean release due to rim geometry.

For BH I'm typically trying to throw the slowest disc that I think will get there. The only exceptions are if I'm looking for some skip or wind play that I think a higher speed disc will do better.

This is me.