• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Smoking BANNED at 2011 Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we going to be banning jews and blacks next????

YES, If they are smokers.

snake.jpg

So I understand the points behind the half arse rules...

But e ciggs banned?!?!? Why?!? Where's the logic there?

And yes I find the "better image" thing insulting- as if smokers are lower class.

I'm truley saddened:(

1. Some players are not old enough to smoke
2. smoking is not allowed on all courses
3. you can control if you smoke, you can not control your race of religion, so that is a dumb comparison.

1. Some players are not old enough to smoke
2. smoking is not allowed on all courses
3. you can control if you smoke, you can not control your race of religion, so that is a dumb comparison.

So how does this pertain to e ciggs and acting like smokers are lower class citizens???

E ciggs have no fire or smoke.

So how does this pertain to e ciggs and acting like smokers are lower class citizens???

E ciggs have no fire or smoke.

Disc golfers are supposed to be athletes. Do they let Kobe light up a cig while he is playing. Professional athletes should not be seen smoking while they are in competition. E-cigs look just like regular cigs. Image is a large part of it.

I don't watch any sports besides dg so I wouldn't know;)
I'm joking, but I'm serious. I was never taught or found reason to praise, idolize, or look up to athletes.

Really though, why shouldn't a professional athleate be shown smoking? If anything, wouldn't a smoker in seemingly good health (k.climo) show what how well dg promotes good health? ;)

I would also stand to say that the "relaxed atmosphere" is the main root of dg's growth and popularity. Some of the largest sponsorships I know of involved alcoholic beverage companies.

On another note, I struggle to see how youth growth will add legitimaticy.
When taking first timers to play at pitch and putts vs a well rounded course, the more difficult course usually will add legitimacy to the sport.
My logic steers me to believe that youth programs will use the land we want to build dg couses, and build pitch and putts. Even worse, they will see it as my ex gf did when she thought we were listing to "my music" on the radio.

Ecigs and chewing tobacco...

Guess the MLB is behind on their image, no more dip athletes being paid millions to be watched on TV...

Ok the PDGA is now approved by the Republic of California and DARE...

We all see how well DARE worked.

It'll surely stress some of the more hard core addicted players. I'm sure Climo will have nicorette or similar on hand. I might buy a bunch to help struggling players, as I'll be at the entire tournament.

I personally don't mind smoking on the course, but I do hate picking up other peoples butts, which I do because I care about my courses and don't want to see trash laying around. When I was a smoker, I never ever littered a butt in my whole life. I just don't understand why so many idiots think its OK to make somebody else have to pick up their mouth trash. Snuff it out and stick it in your pocket (or handy bag, or whatever).

California has a terrible fire hazard in most places. And its not the smokers' fault, its the stupid fire suppression regime or fire control. If you don't burn it back, the sticks will grow over and when they do burn it'll always be one hell of an inferno. But of course they blame it on the smoker whose butt sparks the first embers.

Anyways, smoking is known to be highly addictive. It isn't a choice, once you're hooked. And quitting nicotine for some can be harder than any other known drug on the planet Earth. That's why they gov't can raise taxes so much on tobacco, and people keep smoking. If it wasn't addictive, you'd see far fewer people smoking after prices more than quadrupled over a decade or two. Now the states make more from smokers than the tobacco companies, and are in business exploiting a hideous addiction.

Furthermore, smoking is much more prevalent among the poor and working class. Thus, folks who like to kick around people who actually work for a living get a hard-on when they can attack smokers, too.

i think they should have buckets of sand and garbage cans at every hole on every course in the u.s. i think people would use them if they were there. when i see one of those weird looking posts with the barrel on the bottom, i use it just so i know im not contributing to a mess haha. but for real. cigarettes are biodegradable so screw it. they will turn into dirt someday. but as far as an "image" aspect i think its messed up. people just wanna have a reason to b****. Second and third hand smoke doesnt exist. you inhale worse fumes sitting around a campfire or being stuck behind a semi for 10 mins on the highway. people are just oversensitive. i barely smoke when i play anyways. i might have one when i rest on the 9th hole at my local course but other than that i usually dont but i still believe people should have the right to where they want to outside. its just stupid. some people have no common sense, even though common sense says that cigarettes accelerate cancer but its my choice. i drink and i know that every beer or shot takes toll on my liver i still drink in moderation because i enjoy it. i have the right.

Take this survey and let the PDGA know how you feel. In the survey, I only put Am worlds because it is my understanding smoking is illegal in the parks where the pro worlds is being held due to risk of forest fires.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FVPPR5F

Smoking is banned during competition at the 2011 PDGA Pro and Amateur World Championships. Players will not be permitted to smoke from the start of play until the player's scorecard is submitted. Smoking of any kind during competition may result in immediate disqualification and further disciplinary action as stated in the PDGA Competition Manual, Section 3.3 Player Misconduct. If you have any questions please contact the PDGA Tour Manager.

I feel the second question isn't phrased well. What defines "these decisions"?

Oh yeah, an anonymous online survey with no control over who can vote on it. Umm yeah, that will get their attention. Might as well start an online petition too.
:rolleyes:

It does bear mentioning that better than 90% of the folks on DGCR are not current PDGA members, and therefore cannot play PDGA Worlds, so why should they have a say in said matter?

No problem with banning smoking during tournament play from me. How many other sports allow their atheletes to smoke during a tournament?

thats why you eat edibles:thmbup:

when i can't smoke "not cigs" those do the trick

Status
Not open for further replies.