• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Smoking BANNED at 2011 Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original anti-smoking campaigner was Adolf Hitler,.... rule nazi's.

wrong. this pre-dates hitler's rise to power and occurred in america.

one-of-the-first-anti-smoking-billboards-2412-1285267180-19.jpg

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/one-of-the-first-anti-smoking-billboards

Cigarette smoking sucks. It is a vile habit that should be banned from all disc golf courses. I know some people police their buts, but far to many do not. Putting a sand bucket and garbage cans on every hole won't help. Litter pigs don't care. I've come upon cans and bottles laying on the ground right next to a not full garbage can to many times. WTF! Clean up your effing trash and stop throwing your cig. buts all over the place! /end rant.

My general response.

If i'm not mistaken David Feldberg, Avery Jenkins, & Cale Leiviska all voted on this. All 3 a top touring pros and serve on the PDGA Board. I know Feldberg is/was a smoker but i'm not sure of the other 2. The PDGA is represented by those who vote. I suggest contacting those making the decisions. If you are not a PDGA you have no voice. If you want a voice join.

I'm not a smoker and could care less about this rule. I'm not playing Worlds this year anyway. I would like to see what would happen if RJ Reynolds or Philip Morris sponsored Pro Worlds with $100,000 to the payout.

Avery doesn't smoke, dunno about Cale.

I let this thread go for weeks, I come back and catch up - and the hardcore pro-smoker-outrage-at-the-decision group still has yet to come up with a concise argument or convincing platform. There are hard facts which have yet to be addressed, but I'll state them again anyway:

1. It is bad PR/image for professional athletes to be seen smoking at ANY tour event, even worse if it's at the most important tournament of the year.

2. It is an unhealthy choice that doesn't fit within the paradigm of an athletic lifestyle, which is necessary to convey if we want this sport to be taken more seriously.

3. The athletes have been given enough advance notice that they can be proactive in managing their smoking habits and/or preparing for the conditions in place in order to participate in the tournament. It is a condition that must be met in order to legitimately compete in the tournament this year, in the exact same way that holing out on every hole is, or teeing from the teebox.

4. It is not a "right", I've heard this line used so many times and it's utterly ridiculous. A "right" and an "ability" are not the same thing. You have the ability to smoke at any time any place, you do not have the right. The PDGA is the governing body of the tournament, and Tom Schot proposed that their World Championship tournament for 2011 be held in Santa Cruz - which the PDGA accepted the proposal. It is their tournament, it doesn't matter what course it's on. Like it or not, that's just how it is.

Funny thing is, I actually sympathize with those who are hardcore addicted to smoking - it is an addictive substance which is very difficult to kick. I'm sorry that they will have trouble, truly. However, my sympathy ends at the point at which people take a personal choice, and every choice has consequences, and try to place the blame on others when they don't like the consequences of their own personal actions.

The PDGA didn't make anybody start smoking, and it's not their duty to protect your habits - it's their duty to govern the sport of disc golf.

Couple things....

Smoking only holds a negative image if you are a smug, judgeing doucebag.
As a nation, bad eating habits are far worse of a problem, especially seeing that smoking tends to only effect the later portion of life while poor eating habits have imediate results.
The banning of e ciggs, a smokeless alternative, shows that the concern is not about smoke, fire, or litter, but image.
To believe that smoking doesn't lend to a healthy lifestyle is a joke based on douchy presumptions. Just because you image smokers to be un healty doesn't mean its true.

My 50 year old friend eats well. No pop, only green tea and water. No junk food.rarely drinks. Mountain bikes and dg's multiple times per week. He is fit, in better shape then 99% of people, and guess what! He smokes!!!

Ever been around adult soccer leauges?? 50 year old dudes that can out run most, chain smoling and drinking coffee.

So the whole "unhealthy" bs I'm not buying. Not saying its not unhealthy, just not how folks make it out to be. Not any more then microwaves, smog, and fast food.

And while the pdga didn't make me smoke, they did lead me under the impression that they were cool.
Every older discer I've met has always been open and friendly- not an uptight, judgemental douche.

If this is what growth is, then I no longer want to be a part of that.

And ps, I think more kids should smoke. Their generation is becoming way too lame.
I'm the words of fat mike, " F the kids".

Plus, what? We trick newcomers into believing we are all collered non smokers then they come out and see a bunch of shirtless tokers??

F image!
Every sponsored pro I've hung with, I've smoked with.

Why would we try to pretend were something were not???

Certain things in life come with smoke....
Tom petty shows, jimmy buffet shows, and dg. Its the way it always has been, and the way it should be.

The country as a whole is going in a smokeless direction, not just PDGA, and I'm all for it. Your comparison of eating unhealthy and smoking fails because second hand smoke is harmful. Me eating a candy bar near you doesn't affect your health.

Last edited:
Fat people are disgusting to look at. They smell and present an unhealty image for dg.
Fat people should be banned.

Second hand smoke bs is exaggerated propaganda. The only true examples of shs harming others is in examples that took place with living partners that were heavy smokers in small living quarters for decades. Sell it to someone else.

only 224 people signed up so far and its almost june. Is it the new imagine the reason people are not signing up for this? i am going to guess the over/under on how many sign up to play in this will be about 350 people.

only 224 people signed up so far and its almost june. Is it the new imagine the reason people are not signing up for this? i am going to guess the over/under on how many sign up to play in this will be about 350 people.
If that's the case I am going to file to trademark the SPDGA.

attachment.php

lol @ craftsman comparing smoking to microwaves. It's insane to me that people still think smoking isn't harmful. In your example, your 50 y.o. "fit" friend has a great chance of being a 60y.o. dead friend from cancer. Imagine how fit that guy would be if he wasn't smoking?

And on the actual topic, like so many others have said, it's an image problem, not a health problem. If you want this sport on TV one day, you sure as hell can't have a guy tapping out his putt while huffing down a cig. Talk about no credibilty. I was just watching a DGM and saw Feldberg do that and thought to myself "How is this sport expected to go mainstream if the idols we have don't even look like they're atheletes?"

Fat people are disgusting to look at. They smell and present an unhealty image for dg.
Fat people should be banned.

and public transit!

but all joking aside, sat next to a super-fatty this morning on the bus. not going into details but i'm still crapped from the sitting position i had to hold :gross:

lol @ craftsman comparing smoking to microwaves. It's insane to me that people still think smoking isn't harmful. In your example, your 50 y.o. "fit" friend has a great chance of being a 60y.o. dead friend from cancer. Imagine how fit that guy would be if he wasn't smoking?

And on the actual topic, like so many others have said, it's an image problem, not a health problem. If you want this sport on TV one day, you sure as hell can't have a guy tapping out his putt while huffing down a cig. Talk about no credibilty. I was just watching a DGM and saw Feldberg do that and thought to myself "How is this sport expected to go mainstream if the idols we have don't even look like they're atheletes?"

What about John Daly? Is he a good image for ball golf?

I am siding with Craftsman. I am a smoker (who is playing in Worlds) and I run around 20 miles a week with no problem. When Pennsylvania raised the taxes on tobacco for the billionth time I wrote a letter to my congressman to ask that high fat content food be taxed just as heavily since it causing such an obesity problem in our state. I also listed the similarities between smoking and obesity (ie disgusting to people around them, heart disease etc). Personally I try to be very concientious about my smoking and I always felt the disc golf course was a perfect place since it was so easy to stay downwind from everyone in my group.

I probably wouldn't have gotten into disc golf as much as I did if it were the "family, sunday after church" image they're trying to get. The last thing I want is for the sport to become tight butthole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts