• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Smoking BANNED at 2011 Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're getting way more toxic stuff walking on a busy street or intersection than my cigarette will ever give you out on the DG course. There's so many worse things than second hand smoke.

lol @ craftsman comparing smoking to microwaves. It's insane to me that people still think smoking isn't harmful. In your example, your 50 y.o. "fit" friend has a great chance of being a 60y.o. dead friend from cancer. Imagine how fit that guy would be if he wasn't smoking?

And on the actual topic, like so many others have said, it's an image problem, not a health problem. If you want this sport on TV one day, you sure as hell can't have a guy tapping out his putt while huffing down a cig. Talk about no credibilty. I was just watching a DGM and saw Feldberg do that and thought to myself "How is this sport expected to go mainstream if the idols we have don't even look like they're atheletes?"

I'd argue that the freedom to smoke and drink on many courses is a large driving force in current growth.

There is no way disc golf will ever get on TV. If people think NASCAR or baseball is boring to watch what do you think they will think about DG. Our pros arent even real athletes. Football,baseball, hockey, basketball, soccer, etc. are sports with real athletes who have to keep their bodies in top shape to be able to play a top level. Disc golf is not a sport but a game that requires technique, practice, and a solid mental game to be at a high level just like golf. Big, small, skinny, fat, etc. its all about technique. Just my 2cents.

Squeaky clean image doesn't sell. The PDGA is totally off-base here. We should be embracing our uniqueness as a sport (and I'm not just talking about smoking here).

See other fringe sports that have broken through to the mainstream while maintaining their uniqueness and 'edginess' like snowboarding and skateboarding and mountain biking. In these cases it wasn't any type of governing body that did the breaking through, it was the athletes and equipment manufacturers (Tony Hawk, Jake Burton, etc).

The PDGA is overstepping their bounds and this is the wrong decision at the wrong time. Nobody in the membership was asking for this. Maybe the "National Tour" one day should implement this policy for televised events, but it doesn't make any sense right here right now. I think they will regret this decision, but it is only one more in a long series of WTF decisions. See: DISCussion board restrictions, the $10 per player fee, now this.. :doh: They are growing membership in spite of these poor decisions, not because of them. They should have at least double the membership numbers with the explosive growth of courses over the past 10 years.

What about John Daly? Is he a good image for ball golf?

No, it's pathetic and most people laugh at his expense. He's a feel good story because how how people sympothise for him. If 50% of golfers did it, the sport would be a laughing stock. Tiger Woods was the best thing to happen to golf and one of the reasons is, he made it seem golf required fitness.

I'd rather have good people that don't look like athletes then shtty people that do

When it comes to image and growth of the sport, both are important. But, when Felberg, a smoker, votes for this, he understands that his paycheck will have a better chance of going up if he sacrifices and tries to improve his image.

I probably wouldn't have gotten into disc golf as much as I did if it were the "family, sunday after church" image they're trying to get. The last thing I want is for the sport to become tight butthole.

Again, image is king and pays the bills in the future of our sport. Does that mean the demagraphic may change? maybe. But to parallel ball golf, there are tons of public courses that allow shorts and a t-shirt to play the game at 10 bucks a head. The opportunity to play the sport at a recreational level will not change, and that's what's important.

Squeaky clean image doesn't sell. The PDGA is totally off-base here. We should be embracing our uniqueness as a sport (and I'm not just talking about smoking here).

That's a really good argument. I'm sure it's something that the PDGA considers often.

See other fringe sports that have broken through to the mainstream while maintaining their uniqueness and 'edginess' like snowboarding and skateboarding and mountain biking. In these cases it wasn't any type of governing body that did the breaking through, it was the athletes and equipment manufacturers (Tony Hawk, Jake Burton, etc).

The PDGA is overstepping their bounds and this is the wrong decision at the wrong time. Nobody in the membership was asking for this. Maybe the "National Tour" one day should implement this policy for televised events, but it doesn't make any sense right here right now. I think they will regret this decision, but it is only one more in a long series of WTF decisions. See: DISCussion board restrictions, the $10 per player fee, now this.. :doh: They are growing membership in spite of these poor decisions, not because of them. They should have at least double the membership numbers with the explosive growth of courses over the past 10 years.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The PDGA board seems to be ignoring the membership in many important decisions. Banning smoking at worlds is just the most recent and perhaps the most polarizing.

There is no way disc golf will ever get on TV. If people think NASCAR or baseball is boring to watch what do you think they will think about DG. Our pros arent even real athletes. Football,baseball, hockey, basketball, soccer, etc. are sports with real athletes who have to keep their bodies in top shape to be able to play a top level. Disc golf is not a sport but a game that requires technique, practice, and a solid mental game to be at a high level just like golf. Big, small, skinny, fat, etc. its all about technique. Just my 2cents.

I say all this about ball golf...

listen we are here to play disc golf not smoke. The pdga is implementing this because of pure aesthetic reasons. It doesn't look professional. Im down with the pdga trying to look/conduct themselves as professional as possible. i smoke during rounds and im not throwing a piss fit. Id much rather play disc golf then smoke a cigarette, yes i enjoy doing both at the same time, but those are the rules. If you honestly would rather go smoke a cigarette then play in an awesome tournament, then you sir or ma'm have bigger problems. good day

They have DG on TV where I live in Chico, CA. The show disc golf weekly on public access twice a week. So your wrong, just to let you know.

If people think NASCAR or baseball is boring to watch what do you think they will think about DG....Disc golf is not a sport but a game

Last time I checked NASCAR was the most popular 'sport' in America, as far as spectators go.

And it may not be a 'sport' for you, but it is for me. Or at least damn good exercise. I lost 100+ lbs. playing DG and have kept it off for almost two years just by playing and eating a normal reasonable diet. You don't have to be in good shape to play, but it certainly helps. Especially if you play competitively.

my .02

You're getting way more toxic stuff walking on a busy street or intersection than my cigarette will ever give you out on the DG course. There's so many worse things than second hand smoke.

Its not the second hand smoke, on the course thats the real problem. Its those smokers that litter by throwing thier buts all over the place. I'm not saying you do it, but the cig. buts aren't just magicly appearing on the courses!

Its not the second hand smoke, on the course thats the real problem. Its those smokers that litter by throwing thier buts all over the place. I'm not saying you do it, but the cig. buts aren't just magicly appearing on the courses!

I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that in a tournament, or very rarely. It's not the tournament players that leave their butts on the course. The butts are going to be there during the tournament even if you ban it during play.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that in a tournament, or very rarely. It's not the tournament players that leave their butts on the course. The butts are going to be there during the tournament even if you ban it during play.

Probably not, because people that are concerned about the apearance of their course will be out there picking all of the buts up before the tournament.

Forget it Thrembo, the rule has been made and smokers (who probably are not PDGA members, nor are going to participate in worlds) think bitching about it will change it.

And they'll still be doing it if the PDGA bans smoking during competition.

Most definately, because we live in an imperfect world where people are to lazy or indiferent to clean up after themselves.

So the whole "unhealthy" bs I'm not buying. Not saying its not unhealthy, just not how folks make it out to be. Not any more then microwaves, smog, and fast food.

Wow that's just dense...sorry to have to break it to you, but your body doesn't work that way. It doesn't wake up and say "oh well relatively this action isn't as bad as what I could be doing so I'm healthy"

Health isn't a relative thing - just because you're healthier than the guy next to you doesn't mean what you're doing isn't unhealthy. SO many smokers use this justification and it is mind boggling how many believe in it. Whatever your personal justifications are for continuing your unhealthy habit it doesn't make it objectively kosher.

Smoking is unhealthy. Period. It's not a relative concept, and justifying it's "relative" health factor is a far cry from an argument for why it should be allowed at a professional athletic event...

only 224 people signed up so far and its almost june. Is it the new imagine the reason people are not signing up for this? i am going to guess the over/under on how many sign up to play in this will be about 350 people.

Are you talking about Pro Worlds? Pro Worlds 2011 is sold out. 3 minutes after it opened up to Am's the field filled and the waiting list started.

Trust me the smoking ban isn't causing the rift that people are making a racket about on here. Facts:

- Largest Pro Worlds field ever
- First Pro Worlds to sell out since 1982 (when the field was 1/3 the size)
- Field filled in 3 minutes after opening to Am's

Roll with the pack or get left behind.

Look, as a smoker, I'm pissed about the change of rules. This is a forum for discussion. A place to vent.

So take your "if you don't like it, don't play" comments and stick 'em in yer arse.

I don't like it.

I will play.

But it's bullsh*t. I don't like that I suddenly have to choose.

As for the non-smokers saying that it's not a handicap: Suck it. In a game where focus and a clear mind are coveted, this will effect play for smokers. It may not add 10 strokes, but frustration and being on edge can absolutely throw you off your game.

You know that co-worker you've been avoiding because they just quit smoking? The one biting everyone's head off over inconsequential stuff? Same thing.

I've been avoiding this thread, and not smoking for a few hours isn't going to make me quit the sport, but yeah. It sucks. And it's PR bull****. All the "offensive to my senses" arguments went right out the window when they announced no E-Cigs.

It's oversensitive, whiney, douchebag, PC crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts