• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Smoothest player

Interesting question and interesting how everyone's opinion is different. I think for me, the appearance of a smooth throw basically is defined as who appears to expend the least amount of effort/energy during the entirety of the throw. Using that definition then I think for BH it's a tie between McBeth and Will S., and FH is Jeremy Koling and there's no one I've seen even close to him. They never throw in such a way where it looks like they're trying too hard, not counting scrambles.

And while I like watching Feldberg's form because it is great, I think the fact that it looks more....mechanical, and maybe stiff (less flowy)...then I don't consider his throw smooth. I put Barry Schultz in that camp also. There's something a little robotic about their deliveries.

Avery and Doss I think are really similar, but are only smooth initially. I think they lose that smoothness near the end of their throws and during follow through.

I reserve the right to change my mind as I watch more videos. :)

Avery and Doss I think are really similar, but are only smooth initially. I think they lose that smoothness near the end of their throws and during follow through.

I reserve the right to change my mind as I watch more videos. :)

hope your not saying averys windmill fh is smooth

FH: Koling (As much as I hate to admit it)
BH: Walt Haney or JJ (Do either of these guys still play? Looking at you MTL)

Curious what happened to Walt, JJ, Mike Hofman and Larry Leonard. Those guys used to win many of the tournaments in SC when I started playing and JJ was super smooth. Also, why has no one mentioned any women? Angela Tschiggfrie is another great player that I never hear about anymore.

Walt and Mike (family /priorities/ Mike has been brewing some killer beer too), JJ moved to Denver, Double LL to busy playing video games in the basement with Chris Hysell

cant argue with that list. i would consider all them smooth bh

Actually, I'm saying Feldberg and Schultz have good form, but aren't smooth BH. Avery and Doss, BH, are smooth initially, but then are not smooth at the end of the throw/follow through.

Smoothest BH to me: McBeth and Will S. Brinster is in that conversation, but if I include the entirety of the throw, his hop-step puts him a notch below the other two for me. Not saying it's bad form at all, just doesn't quite look as smooth, and it looks like he's trying harder.

about the lefty discussion, i played on a card this weekend with a lefty who throws RHBH mainly but has a LHFH. his dubs partner was a righty that throws LHBH but putts righty. mind blowing right

I'm a lefty, and I'm predominately LHBH. But I use a right hand forehand and I also putt righty.

Actually, I'm saying Feldberg and Schultz have good form, but aren't smooth BH. Avery and Doss, BH, are smooth initially, but then are not smooth at the end of the throw/follow through.

Smoothest BH to me: McBeth and Will S. Brinster is in that conversation, but if I include the entirety of the throw, his hop-step puts him a notch below the other two for me. Not saying it's bad form at all, just doesn't quite look as smooth, and it looks like he's trying harder.

oh word. i like how barry is slow and smooth. feldy is the same way but more like a robot. interesting ill have to watch doss i cant remember his follow through

oh word. i like how barry is slow and smooth. feldy is the same way but more like a robot. interesting ill have to watch doss i cant remember his follow through

Doss has a weird little hitch that I've noticed at release, or at least I think I remember that in videos. Reminds me a little of Avery's end-of-throw hitch and the way he arches his back kinda funny.

I guess when I'm defining smooth, I'm using fluidity as my main criteria. For example, if you compare McBeth to Feldberg BH, at normal speed it appears that McBeth is basically all just one kind of fluid motion - it's flowy - you don't notice the hitches, stops/starts, position changes, etc., but you do with Feldberg and Schultz. It's more angular and less rounded off in a lot of positions. You could say robotic, mechanical, stiff, whatever.

They all have "good" form. I just think BH, McBeth and Will S. have the smoothest and most fluid deliveries, and appear to be using the least amount of effort and energy from runup to follow through.

No one is saying it but I think Nikko has smooth form, it looks like it generates a ton of power all though he is obviously putting effort into it. I try to mimic my back hand form off of his (without the big run up)

No one is saying it but I think Nikko has smooth form, it looks like it generates a ton of power all though he is obviously putting effort into it. I try to mimic my back hand form off of his (without the big run up)

I agree. I think Nikko's form is generally smooth. He has a faster runup than other players mentioned, if I remember correctly, but it's still very smooth.

Agreed, he's in the conversation with McBeth and Will for sure. I think I'd describe his as more athletic maybe. Smooth and fluid for sure though.