• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snakes on the course!

042807_1328.jpg

I can't make this image show up for some reason? Does a link to it work?

Tough putt

I was at Buffalo Trace in Palmyra, IN and flipped my disc over to putt and lo and behold there was a copper head underneath my disc. My foot and hands were within 2-3 inches of it.

Now I'm not one to be afraid of snakes but this dude was poisonous and we were as far away from the parking lot as possible. We tried to run him away but he just kept staring at me even while I putted. Needless to say I missed it...

saw a garter snake the other day at the Redwood Curtain
saw a gopher snake at Sylmar
saw a gopher snake at Ventura
saw a few rattlesnakes at Wrightwood
DSCJNKY
Besides Gopher snakes Ventura has it's share of Red Runners and Rattlers...not to mention Tarantulas!

Had a coral snake contest my picking up my drive at #4 in Bandera, TX. Got a stick and got my disc. Did not take a penalty for improving my lie, either! Don't know if a coral snake qualifies for The Dude's plan of action. I'd rather get bit by a rattler than a coral snake. Coral snake venom works on the nervous system.

That's hilarious...I really wish I could have seen that.

My friend and I walked up on a 2-3 foot long copperhead laying across the fairway on #6 at Terramont in Woodlands Tx. My foot stepped down and he was laying out about 8 inches in front of my foot...I freaked and jumped back, my friend walked up to him and he coiled up quick, he wasn't moving, he was standing his ground..my friend threw a few disc down on him as he struck at them and them stepped on him and cut his head off with a dx Teerex. (there are littel kids all over that park or he would have left him alone)

Next week I'm walking a nature trail with my son when he hears something rattleing about 5 feet ahead of us and about 2 ft off the trail, we stopped to look in and see if we could see him - we couldn't - and just as I was going to reach down and pick up a stick to move the grass around I realized the stick was his body about 10 inches away from my foot - we both freaked and took off - about a minute later the wind blew and I saw this long black thing dropping from a tree down right beside me out of the corner of my eye - I about pushed my son over running away from it like a little girl - it was just a big stick falling out of the tree from the wind blowing - but my son (16) isn't ever going to let me live that one down hahah...yeah snakes scare the crap out of me

I was playing Harry Myers in Rockwall, TX a few weeks ago. I drove hole 5 with my putter and it ended up past the basket on the other side of some standing water. The water looked to be ony a few inches deep and there was a section of fence and a couple of logs to step on to get across to the other side. I proceeded to step on the first log only to have it start sinking on me. In order to prevent getting wet I jumped forward to the fence section. Then it started to sink so I had to jump to the next thing, then the next thing until I finally was able to jump to the other bank. I didn't have time to think as I was doing it, only enough time to react instintively to keep from getting wet. As I landed heavily on the other side, a black snake about 2 or 3 feet long uncurled and shot into the water just inches to the left of where I landed. It all happended so fast that I didn't even have time to get scared. I just shutter to think what would have happened if I had landed on the snake! I'm not even sure what kind of snake it was, but it is probably a safe assumption to say it was a water moccasin.

I was playing Harry Myers in Rockwall, TX a few weeks ago. I drove hole 5 with my putter and it ended up past the basket on the other side of some standing water. The water looked to be ony a few inches deep and there was a section of fence and a couple of logs to step on to get across to the other side. I proceeded to step on the first log only to have it start sinking on me. In order to prevent getting wet I jumped forward to the fence section. Then it started to sink so I had to jump to the next thing, then the next thing until I finally was able to jump to the other bank. I didn't have time to think as I was doing it, only enough time to react instintively to keep from getting wet. As I landed heavily on the other side, a black snake about 2 or 3 feet long uncurled and shot into the water just inches to the left of where I landed. It all happended so fast that I didn't even have time to get scared. I just shutter to think what would have happened if I had landed on the snake! I'm not even sure what kind of snake it was, but it is probably a safe assumption to say it was a water moccasin.

Yikes I play at that course every weekend. Not good news for me. :mad:

Now I have a reason to hate #5 even more.

I was playing Tyler State Park yesterday. My drive was a little right of the basket. As I bend down to pick up my disc I notice something move out of the corner of my eye. Didn't see anything so I line up my putt. As I'm about to Putt a pretty long Garder snake, wanna say it was over 2', Slithers out towards my foot. Needles to say my putt wasn't very good. I've seen, and picked up, many Garder snakes before but I'm used to them being like not even a foot long. When I tried to grab him he coiled up and snapped at me. At that moment I thought to myself, I wonder if PA has any poisonous snakes in this area. I promptly backed off.

I've seen a few snakes at the Harry Myers course in Rockwall TX as well. On holes 5, 6, and 7. I think I've seen a snake at Veteran's Park in Arlington. In all cases, I (or the folks I was with) saw the snake before it walking up to it. Snakes give me the shivers, yet I'm rather fascinated by them. Spiders the same thing. I usually get goosebumps and back away, and then after calming down start trying to get a better view.

How are you all so good at recognizing types of snakes. I don't think I could distinguish one snake from another. They're usually hard to get a good look at. I suppose I might recognize the rattle of a rattlesnake. But how do you know it is a copperhead or water moccasin?

We used to catch Gopher snakes & lizards, etc. as a kid so I'm not overly paranoid about snakes.
Hole #9 at Black Mountain, there's a ped bridge & a snake is usually coiled up on a girder underneath.
Hole #18 at Boiling springs. My buddy throws a drive into the swamp off to the left. He goes to get his disc & he yells "snake". I see him rustling his hands through the bushes & he grabs onto the body of a 4' snake & starts to pull it out (the snake is trying to get away). He gets the snake about 1/2 way out of the bushes & then lets it go. It has pissed on his hand. He said it smelled awful. He's lucky to not have gotten bit.

..How are you all so good at recognizing types of snakes. I don't think I could distinguish one snake from another. They're usually hard to get a good look at. I suppose I might recognize the rattle of a rattlesnake. But how do you know it is a copperhead or water moccasin?
When we would corner a gopher snake it would start to shake its tail in the grass to sound like a rattle snake. Very cool!
Unless you know for sure, you're taking a chance handling a snake in the wild.

I saw signs warning disc golfers of possible rattle snakes at Central Park in Santa Clarita and at Heilmann Park in Atascadero, California and the locals I played with at Oak Grove Park in Pasedena tried to scare me by telling me there we're rattlers down in the bowl (where I had just thrown my drive). but fortunately I've never seen a rattlesnake and the thought of even hearing one has me a little bit scared as I plan to play some of the dessert SW states later this year.

Is there such thing as snake spray that you can spray at these snakes to scare them away?

I wonder which course has the most active snake infestation?

That spider is frickin' huge!!! Not a big fan of snakes or spiders. I have seen some strange looking spiders at my local course, but that one posted by midnight beats them all...

I've seen 2 small snakes at my local course, one next to a tee box, and one in the water. Kinda makes me think twice about going in the lake after a stray disc?!

Rattlers, copperheads, and water mocassins are pit vipers with distinctive head shapes like a triangle. The coral snake has colored banding and "Red touching yellow is a dangerous fellow". "Red on black -venom he lacks". You'd do well to study some pictures of the pit vipers.

That spider is frickin' huge!!! Not a big fan of snakes or spiders. I have seen some strange looking spiders at my local course, but that one posted by midnight beats them all...

Those are called "Bananna Spiders" and they are all over my home course , River Grove Park in Kingwood, TX . And I mean, you see them every 25 feet in the summer time. They used to scare the s**t out of me, but after seeing some huge snakes at the course, I like the spiders, because they don't bother you as long as you don't bother them. I have heard they do bite if they get pissed, but I have neven been bit.

I need some help with this one.:

About a year ago, my brother and I were walking from the #16 basket, to the #17 tee at River Grove Park in Kingwood. All of the sudden we saw a lightning fast movement shoot across the ground in front of us , and we saw a 6-7 black snake shoot up this tree in front of us, he looked at us, and took off faster than any snake I have ever seen. I mean this snake was faster than a rabbit.

I would like to know what it was that I saw. Here is the best way I can describe it:

6-7 feet long

Black with a yellow or off while stripe down its belly, very narrow stripe.

Moved lightning fast. I mean, if you blinked, you would have missed it.

Anyone have any idea what I saw?

I need some help with this one.:

About a year ago, my brother and I were walking from the #16 basket, to the #17 tee at River Grove Park in Kingwood. All of the sudden we saw a lightning fast movement shoot across the ground in front of us , and we saw a 6-7 black snake shoot up this tree in front of us, he looked at us, and took off faster than any snake I have ever seen. I mean this snake was faster than a rabbit.

I would like to know what it was that I saw. Here is the best way I can describe it:

6-7 feet long

Black with a yellow or off while stripe down its belly, very narrow stripe.

Moved lightning fast. I mean, if you blinked, you would have missed it.

Anyone have any idea what I saw?

if there was any water nearby it might be a water mocassin. they look exactly like you are describing.

I also saw a water moccasin swimming in the creek by hole 19 at Bicentennial in Crowley, TX. This was right after a lot of rain back in early April.

Latest posts