• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

Thanks Quinntastic,

We don't have many more days before there won't be enough sunlight to throw 18 holes on weekdays.

This saddens me :( Even now its really hard to find discs in the trees by the time I'm on hole 13 or 14. I'm hoping to get in a round before the weekend. At my local course par on the short baskets is ezpz but on the long pins its easy to +1 every hole if youre not on point.

Heard something on a Feldberg clinic, he was saying how you always get worse before you get better. Makes sense, if you spent so much time getting good the way you currently do things, as you improve and develop new techniques your relearning essentially. Success seems to come in streaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played Seymour Smith with a friend today. Some holes went better, some went worse. My putting wasn't as good today, so I ended up bogeying a lot of holes that I could've taken par on if I were better from the edge of the circle. My midrange game was also really hot and cold today, I seemed to do better when I disced down and threw a putter at close to 100% rather than throwing a slower midrange at 50-75%. A couple times I overshot the basket with my putters and had to make a long comeback, which didn't help.

I still need to work on not coming around on my release so I don't grip lock the disc (which I was a lot better about on the last few holes) and getting a flatter release on my drives (I'm a lot better about it on my midrange shots than I am off the tee, so I think I might be overthinking my drives).

This was actually last weekend, a nice sunny afternoon at the Doe River Gorge DGC with the wife. It's the most challenging course I have played so far in my three months of disc golfing, ending with a +12 on nine holes (cringe).

I had some good drives but my putting is pretty terrible. I had this one particularly great throw on hole 5. I got my Roc around a tree and landed it less than ten feet from the hole. All excited, I rush the putt, bounce the disc off the basket, and it rolls down the hill. What should have been an easy birdie turned into a gruesome bogey.

There was a weird thing that has me troubled though. I found a disc along the path for hole 3 where there had been some really tall grass the week before. Unfortunately, it appears that the disc was lost in that tall grass and a tractor chewed it up and spit it out. The disc was a pretty tie-dye Pro Wraith and was marked with the owner's name and number. Now I am not sure if I should call the owner and inform them of the demise of the disc or let him keep on hoping it might turn up one day.

As for the wife, I am not allowed to talk about her performance but she isn't a member here yet so I will anyway. It was only her second game ever and she did way better than her first game. I'm probably not the best coach so she's figuring out a lot on her own.

I'm off to play a fairly new course in Big Stone Gap, VA today. It's not in the DGCR database yet but I will collect whatever information I can and get it added over the weekend.

Sorry for the novel. I'm an excited newbie and can't help it. :D

I played at the Big Stone Gap DGC on Friday, as planned. It was a nice course for a beginner such as myself. I got my score down a little bit which was a boost for my confidence. That was part of my birthday weekend. I am back home today and heading out to practice with my new basket that my wife bought for me and my son set up while I was out of town.

Played Whippin' Post and the Woodshed. What a fantastic experience!

Feels like my hammies have been beaten with a pipe, but that will fade before the memories . . .

Played Whippin' Post and the Woodshed. What a fantastic experience!

Feels like my hammies have been beaten with a pipe, but that will fade before the memories . . .

Weather was so perfect today. I considered heading to Paw Paw also but opted for Ditto instead.

I shot pretty well out there today, 62 long-to-long. A couple of drives I yanked my tee shot to the right (put me on a tee staring down a tunnel and I will open up way early 95% of the time), but scramble game was solid today and let me at least save 3 almost every time. Definitely feeling more confident in my forehand turnover/anny than I was a few months ago.

Weather was so perfect today. I considered heading to Paw Paw also but opted for Ditto instead.

I like Ditto very much. With today's weather it was hard to go wrong.

. . . A couple of drives I yanked my tee shot to the right (put me on a tee staring down a tunnel and I will open up way early 95% of the time). . . .

I do that sometimes, too. I think it is hard to fully turn away from a tunnel shot and just trust your mechanics.

Missed 15 footers on 3 of my first 4 holes in a tourney and then went on to have probably my best putting in a tourney ever, after those holes. Only missed 1 more in the circle and made 7-8 from well outside, including one from like 100', and had a handful more near misses in the 50-60 range. Unfortunately all that work putting went to waste as I threw OB 6 times (every hole has OB, most of them on both sides).

https://www.lakepanoramanational.com/golf/

Golf course play along. (Drives and fairways, no greens). Throwing some disc along some buddies golfing at this gorgeous course. Bagging a ne neutron Volt, Pinnacle canon, and a crystal nuke. Mostly throwing volt, popping hard low volt action deep wicked flat s penatrados

Last edited:
Started off with par, par, par, birdie. Felt pretty good. Proceeded to accumulate bogeys and double bogeys. Still had fun.

Not good start, decent middle, not good end. But still, +11 is better than the +12 or worse that I've gotten 6 of the last 9 I've played Buckeye. Plus a good workout for my legs...they're sore. (Hello, Ibuprofen, my old friend!)

Tuesday, at Dog Island in Red Bluff... Well, it started with the dentist not putting on the crown that I was there to get because my heart rate was too high. Very rushed and stressful day of work before getting there. But, I can't just go home because I had given a ride to a friend for his dentist appt., so I've gotta wait for him. I remember that Dog Island is less than 10 minutes away, so off I go. :thmbup: I get there and realize that most of my putters are at home (I have a practice basket). :doh: I dig through what is in the truck and find the R-Pro Pig and the 150g DX Polecat. It is windy, so I grab the Pig. Argh! I never want to depend on only a Pig again. I sure missed having a Dart and Blowfly. Started off with tree hits, 2 double bogeys, a 3 putt...still for the second time I played the course, and the first time I played Hole 18 (couldn't find it the first time), the wind, and not having my normal putters, I don't consider +10 to be bad. <shrug>

Spent a good deal of this past week playing with 3 discs: 3 Classic Aviars, all 175g, all white with red stamps. Played a relatively short course each time; most holes under 300 feet, but plenty of trees/utility poles standing in the way of the straightforward lines. Last time out I started off with a birdie and rode the par train for a while, with some unfortunate tree kicks and some missed putts either leading to pars or bogeys here and there. It was funny seeing a putter hit an early tree and then gliiiiiide off to scrambletown. One thing's for sure; putter-only rounds can be very enjoyable and make a course play completely differently.

First three holes tonight my putts hit the cage...next three holes my putts hit the band...next three holes mixed it up going pole-cage-pole...it was just one of those nights. Drive for show, putt for par.

Got to play a brand new course on Friday in Clayton, NC. Technically the course is not officially open as they have not gotten tee pads or tee signs installed and a few bridges needed. The designer says he hopes to get the course finished and "open" by the end of October. Great course though. Tight woods course with good elevation. Played pretty well for a brand new course considering I was figuring out the lines as I played.
Saturday I went to South Boston, VA to play Edmunds Park and after the first 2 hole got warmed up and played well. Then hit Rockness Monster in Roxboro, NC on the way home. Was very pleasantly surprised to find 5 new holes on the front (now front 18) making a total of 27 holes now.
All in all a great weekend of disc.

Got to play a brand new course on Friday in Clayton, NC. Technically the course is not officially open as they have not gotten tee pads or tee signs installed and a few bridges needed.
:clap:
Make sure the new course gets added to the database when it's finished; maybe PM me too. I live in NE TN but visit the Raleigh area frequently as my daughter goes to school there. We played at the Apex Nature Park last weekend. It was her first time playing and I think I got her hooked. I got her a few discs so maybe she can get some of her college friends to join in or find some others to play.

:clap:
Make sure the new course gets added to the database when it's finished; maybe PM me too. I live in NE TN but visit the Raleigh area frequently as my daughter goes to school there. We played at the Apex Nature Park last weekend. It was her first time playing and I think I got her hooked. I got her a few discs so maybe she can get some of her college friends to join in or find some others to play.

I will make sure it gets added when complete. It is a very exciting time here in Raleigh. New courses coming to Marsh Creek Park in NE Raleigh, Morrisville, and likely Fuquay Varina and Falls Lake park.:clap:

I had some fun playing wind golf yesterday. Scores were poor, since I had a couple disaster holes (e.g. 290' open hole turned into a double bogey after a headwind flipped my Thunderbird into a roller, and I 3-putted after a decent but imperfect approach...)

Google said 23 mph plus gusts. I managed to throw 2 Firebird tomahawks at least 420' with a tailwind, judged a crosswind correctly to get a Tern over 400', hit a circle's edge air bounce putt, and had many other "judge the wind correctly" successes, as well as plenty of humorous mistakes.

Took last in random glow doubles night, but I've only played 3 full rounds all year, and my partner hadn't touched his bag in over a month. Night rounds are always fun, and my Scale won me a 12 pack of Mt. Dew on a CTP, so at least there's that.

Latest posts